• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The best war film ever made ,is...

Excuse me........

Excuse me........

My original thread,,,,specifically said,,,WAR FILM.
When Thetoad peruses ,the multi-pictures selected,he finds them loaded with comedies,,Kelly's Heroes,,Where Eagles Dare,
The only films that were mentioned,that were true war films,were ,DAS BOOT,,,All Quiet,,and the Thin Red Line..
You should be ashamed of yourselves....

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
Forgotten clasics

Forgotten clasics

In addition to the true ,,,WAR FILMS,
Thetoad would be remiss,as not to add ,a seldom seen brilliant film.
ZULU DAWN,a presequal to ZULU
A war film,must contain certain characteristics.The story line,the mission,strategy used in it's completion,development of role players,and finally realism.Light moments,are accepted only,,,,if they add to the integrity of the film.This one,including ,an all star cast,is never mentioned.It concerns the battle of ISLAWANDA.
Try it,you will like it,,,,guaranteed......,,,,,

Upvote 0
Thetoad you must have also seen Flyboys which I'm surprised you left off your list as I think is one of the finest films about the Great War.

It's a true story about a mismatched group of young Americans who joined the Lafayette Escadrille fighter squadron to become the world's first combat pilots! The film is set at a time when young men were idealistic, but naive to embark on a such a great adventure.

What elevates the film above the norm is the beautiful breaking down of race and social prejudice depicted among the characters. The examples of bravery and sacrifice these characters show in saving the world are truly inspiring.

With its blend of action, suspense, romance and drama all rolled into one I give it 10/10 one of the best War films I've seen.
smiley.gif

‪FLYBOYS:Reed Cassidy Tribute‬‏ - YouTube

I can also suggest Hart's War which is the internal struggle between idealistic good (Colin Farrell) and necessary evil (Bruce Willis) set in a prisoner of war camp in World War 2.
smiley.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A war film,must contain certain characteristics.The story line,the mission,strategy used in it's completion,development of role players,and finally realism.Light moments,are accepted only,,,,if they add to the integrity of the film.This one,including ,an all star cast,is never mentioned.It concerns the battle of ISLAWANDA.

"Sir, I think they are trying to taunt us..."
Hillarious movie.

Upvote 0
I am a student of Film,and Military History,Flyboys,somehow escaped me.
When I think of all the Wars,fought by all the peoples,all the countries ,no other conflict had the participants ,face such a myriad of new technology ,and weaponry.
As was mentioned previously,Thetoad was remiss in mentioning one other aspect of WW 1.The introduction of armor.
Whether on land,sea or air,the destruction coming your way,was unprecedented.In addition,they were all new,to the soldiers,sailors,and airman.It truly was,,,,the war.....to end all wars.
In the subsequent century,all we have learned is,how to kill more efficiently.That is a sad commentary on the state of the world.

Upvote 0

I'm noticing a similar post structure here to something else...

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=7019

Upvote 0
Matchstick Men was indeed very good - I started watching that with the feeling of 'here we go again' but by the end I was surprised to go against my instincts and say I really enjoyed it.

Leaving Las Vegas is also a very good NC film. Check it out if you've not seen it.

PS: For pure novelty and coolness, Con Air is 9/10.

Upvote 0
Nobody said,it would be easy

Nobody said,it would be easy

A Command decision,,requires,,,clarity.That is why,,I insisted on ONE FILM.

Nick Cage,,,,a.k.a.,Nicholas Coppola,,did make an "Entertaining War Film"

LORD OF WAR.........,In addition,,a steroid laden Nick,,,did

WINDTALKERS......
Serious war films,demand your attention,while viewing it,but more importantly,after you have seen it.The impressions,the thoughts...that what lingers.If ,in today's culture,you think about it for a hundred nano-seconds,it most likely,,,was ,worth your time.
Another ,exceptional film,previously mentioned was,THIN RED LINE.I recall the cinematography ,,was superb.I believe,it might have won an Academy Award for that.
Picking one,,,,is like .....TAKING. NO. PRISONERS..........

Upvote 0
1993 Film

1993 Film

I am aware of ,,ENEMY AT THE GATES,which mainly is involved with the story of Russian Snipers,and their contribution to that immense battle.Your film,eludes me.
Since we were talking about actors,and their performances,,,,,,,or lack of..

I submit,,,HARVEY KEITEL,,,in,,,,BAD LIEUTENANT.Talk about a ballsy,full tilt,,let it all HANG OUT,,as he did,Thetoad,still,,,to this day is amazed.Be advised,,we are speaking of the original,,UNCUT VERSION.

TRY IT,,,,,,YOU'LL LIKE IT

Upvote 0
Movies/series that should be watched (that I can recall right away *turns head to the right to watch DVD collection*, not limited to WW2, also includes WW2 themed movies):

9th Company (Russians in Afghanistan)
71 - Into The Fire (Korea)
Admiral (WW1-Russian Civil War)
Air Force
Ambush (bad sequel to Winter War)
Army of Shadows (French resistance)
As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me (German POWs in Siberia)
Assembly (Chinese Civil War)
Attack On Lenigrad
Ballad of a Soldier
Band of Brothers
Battleground
Beneath Hill 60 (WW1, Asutralian miners)
Bose, The Forgotten Hero (Bose, leader of collaborating Indians WW2)
Casualties of War
City of Life and Death/Nanjing Nanjing! (Nanking battle & massacre)
Come And See (brutal)
Conspiracy (Wannsee conference)
Das Boot
Dneprovskij rubezh
Die Br

Upvote 0