• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Surrendering to the enemy?

Z008MJ

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Would this game mechanic work? Would it make RO2 better?

Basically, whenever a player feels outgunned or outnumbered, he can raise a white flag and throw his weapon and the enemy can choose to keep him as a prisoner.

This could be balanced with things like gaining extra points for saving a foes' life, but having to guard him from overthrowing the guarder, which makes it harder when you end up under attack.

In turn, the guader could trade the prisoner for a prisoner on his own side, or trade him for getting to escape a deadly situation, the other side could choose if they want him back.

For realism and more tactical gameplay, you know?

You'r joking right,there is no fun in FPS gaming if you can just raise the flag,if you have a bad round just leave server.

It's not like real bullets have been shot and real lives have been taken away... so lets raise the white flag... LOL dude
:D

EDIT: BTW wasnt me downvoting your post....someone on the forums just like to press the red button a lot and be the big man behind the LCD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought that even if a person in the Red Army was captured, there were considered a traitor and they were killed if they were ever seen again?
Could be wrong, but this is what I heard.
And I also don't think that there were people randomly surrendering. As in, an entire troop would surrender, not just one person.
And why would that person surrender? I would rather just die and go into a respawn que than sit there, staring at a person guarding me, instead of helping his team.

Upvote 0
You'r joking right,there is no fun in FPS gaming if you can just raise the flag,if you have a bad round just leave server.

Assuming the server used a one-life-then-wait-an-hour rules, i think it'd be an interesing choice to try and survive the entire round if such, for example, gave much more points.

Think about it, if we assume there also was an option for extreme hardcore difficulty, where dying lowered your rank and points greatly, or plain locked things you have unlocked so you have to re-unlock them, i think people would prefer walking around as a prisoner. No one would like trying to surrender at the start of the game, as they do not have anything to earn on it, only possibly losing, as the enemy can decline the "offer" and shoot you anyway.

Reactions: AntoxaGray
Upvote 0
Wrong on many levels, here's 3:

1. Game's too fast paced to be taking prisoners. People die every other second there's no point extending your life this way, what difference does it make whether you die or surrender anyway, it doesn't hurt to die.

2. Prisonners go to camps after, they don't just get lugged around the front line waiting for a chance to escape.

3. Game's done (main feature-wise), it's been decided that it's not in (I'm assuming but I think everyone will agree with me).

Plus some things other people will say. It might have made sense if people were playing a simulation game with 500 person teams over an ArmA 2 map and one month with only one life.

Upvote 0
Wrong on many levels, here's 3:

1. Game's too fast paced to be taking prisoners. People die every other second there's no point extending your life this way, what difference does it make whether you die or surrender anyway, it doesn't hurt to die.

Read my second post, juat before this one of yours.

Plus some things other people will say. It might have made sense if people were playing a simulation game with 500 person teams over an ArmA 2 map and one month with only one life.

Sounds like fun!

Upvote 0
It worked rather well in RnL and were fun sometimes, but that stuff has no place in a game without 3D voice chat (imho).

It wasn't a mechanic in RnL, the fact that it was sometimes kind of cool to do caused a bunch of idiots to spawn and run straight into the enemy spouting "HURR I SURRENDURR" on allchat. Only to get angry because he doesn't understand why they just shoot him instead of taking him prisoner.

The fact is, it takes one player to surrender and multiple people to pretend to be guards. It makes no sense to accept POW's, all they do is distract people from actually playing the game.

When 1.6 comes out next week, every time I see someone surrendering, whether it be a teammate or enemy, I will make it my job to kill them immediately.

Upvote 0
you'r joking right,there is no fun in fps gaming if you can just raise the flag,if you have a bad round just leave server.

It's not like real bullets have been shot and real lives have been taken away... So lets raise the white flag... Lol dude
:d

edit: Btw wasnt me downvoting your post....someone on the forums just like to press the red button a lot and be the big man behind the lcd.

+1

Reactions: AntoxaGray
Upvote 0
People would never surrender in Public play and if this was added. This will happen 90% of the time.

German: "I Surrender!!!"

*German walks up to 6 Russains aiming at him*

German: "SHAMBEH BOMBEH!!!" (Sorry don't know what he says)

Then this will happen so much that anyone who surrenders will instantly be shot down by Paranoid people.

Reactions: Norse Soldat
Upvote 0