• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What car do you drive?

Every car I've owned with Flowmasters resonates at around 1800 to 2100 RPM. These are the same. The car also seems to resonate with them sometimes.

I'm driving it now! Here is a video I made of it. This was when I first got it going so I didn't hot rod it in the video. It's just a regular cruise.

YouTube - ‪1970 Mercury Cyclone GT 351C Cruise‬‏

Without being too personal, I was trying to figure out the location. Everything is too clean to be anywhere near the deep south ("delta" area), and if that is US 61 then would that be Iowa? or am I way off? Carolina's?

Nice ride......I miss those days of 25c gasoline and you had to be empty to even think about getting $5 in the tank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Without being too personal, I was trying to figure out the location. Everything is too clean to be anywhere near the deep south ("delta" area), and if that is US 61 then would that be Iowa? or am I way off? Carolina's?

Nice ride......I miss those days of 25c gasoline and you had to be empty to even think about getting $5 in the tank.

Georgia, in Paulding county, about 35 miles west of Atlanta.

Thanks! The cheapest I've ever paid for gas was .68 cents for premium. that was around 1998 IIRC. A glut on the market dropped the prices. Which was great for me since I was in only in high school working part time, and having to feed a '69 Mustang.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Georgia, in Paulding county, about 35 miles west of Atlanta.

Thanks! The cheapest I've ever paid for gas was .68 cents for premium. that was around 1998 IIRC. A glut on the market dropped the prices. Which was great for me since I was in only in high school working part time, and having to feed a '69 Mustang.
Ah!...It sure looked southern. The state on the highway sign was throwing me. I kept thinking US 61 and the only state with that general configuration between La. and Canada was Iowa. I wasn't thinking....if it were US 61 it would have been a 'shield' and not a state outline.....DOH!....

Paste an IS2 decal on the windshield and go visit TW...:p

The local stations had here had gas wars in the late '60's and early '70's. Then the '73 OPEC oil embargo hit and there was no gas :eek: . (It could happen again anyday...scary thought.)

I bought this '69 Camaro in '73 for $900 (This pic is after a road trip to California in '74 to see a Navy buddy get married).
69cam1.jpg

Later I rebuilt motor, added mags, rear spoiler, headers, thrush mufflers, painted it, etc.:
69cam3.jpg

The 350 300hp 3speed Muncie would fly through the quarter mile and still got 20mpg doing 65 on the highway.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely getting a Prius once (if) I get a job.

But my mother is thinking about getting one for herself once there is a new government subvention for hybrids, because the old Golf swallows gasoline like a hungry demon, and while the engine remains in extremely good health, everything else is falling apart.

Every taxi here now is a Prius and we love the damn thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They may be good on gas, but that's the only thing they are good for from an environmental standpoint. The same is true for all the Hybrid/electric cars out there now. They don't really save money either.

My car is far from the best example, but my daily driver, an '87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z gets 27 MPG AVG. It passes an emission's test better than most newer cars (according to the guy who does my test) and cost me $800. At $3.50 a gallon it will cost me a total of $14562.10 including the purchase price to drive it 100,000 miles (minus Tires, and Maintenance of course). I don't know how much a Prius costs, but I'm sure it's more than that. Plus the environmental impact of the Daytona's production is already done, No large battery bank will need to be made for it at around 100,000 miles, and there are no batteries that will need disposal. Other than a regular battery.

I'm not knocking you for your purchase. I'm just saying there are alternatives that produce less pollution overall. If we can make batteries with a lower environmental impact we'll be on the right track. The technology just isn't there yet.

http://onemansblog.com/2007/03/27/prius-outdoes-hummer-in-environmental-damage/

Of course a 1987 car is going to cost a lot less than a brand new car, and any pre-existing car is going to make less of an environmental impact than any new car. That's apples to oranges.

I had to buy a new car as my 190,000 mile '95 Integra was dying on me monthly. So between 2 different mid-sized new cars, I opted for the Prius. BTW: cost about $21k - which while not cheap, isn't bad for a mid-sized car. About the same price, or cheaper than a Camry.

Out of curiosity, I did your calculation with my car. At 100,000 miles will cost me $6679 in gas @ $3.50 / gallon @ 52.4 mpg. So that car will cost me $27,679 at 100,000 miles. Though, I plan to drive it longer than that.

Now let's compare that to another new Toyota - a Camry SE. That's $24k MSRP, fair Blue Book price of $22.5, about $1000 more than my car. It gets 22 city / 33 highway - with my commute I have half / half - so say $27.5 mpg. At 100,000 miles will cost me $12,727 in gas @ $3.50 / gallon. So that car will cost me $35227 at 100,000 miles. So compared to a new Camry, it saved me $7548.

Note: There are plenty of fellows on the Prius Chat forum that have way over 100,000 miles on their Prii with the original battery. Secondly, the batteries are purchased back by Toyota for recycling - so at least that's something. These are nickel metal hydride batteries. People often gripe about the environmental impact of nickel mines - but it's silly when you consider how much more nickel goes into the steel for auto manufacturing in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Note: There are plenty of fellows on the Prius Chat forum that have way over 100,000 miles on their Prii with the original battery. Secondly, the batteries are purchased back by Toyota for recycling - so at least that's something. These are nickel metal hydride batteries. People often gripe about the environmental impact of nickel mines - but it's silly when you consider how much more nickel goes into the steel for auto manufacturing in general.

I did say mine was far from the best example, and I'm not knocking you for your purchase. I was just using that as it's what I have.

It's good to know they are buying the batteries back for recycling. Recycling won't have as much of an impact as making strictly new batteries.

I'm more on the band wagon of making small, efficient gas cars for daily drivers until the hybrid/electric car batteries can have a smaller production footprint.

And there are the electronic systems, safety measures and silence, that and old car does not have.

The only modern thing missing from my Daytona is an airbag. It's power everything. Due to it's aerodynamic design it is pretty quiet at highway speeds, and has four wheel disc brakes. It's also fuel injected, and turbocharged.

However, imagine if they could build a car like the CRX HF today, with modern tech. After all it was getting 50+ MPG back in the 80's, with a carburetor no less! Unfortunately, most car buyers today aren't willing to buy a car that isn't loaded with every option imaginable. A CRX HF may get 50+ MPG without batteries, but it has manual everything, no A/C, and only belts for safety. If everybody drove small light cars it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but that is far from the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
However, imagine if they could build a car like the CRX HF today, with modern tech. After all it was getting 50+ MPG back in the 80's, with a carburetor no less! Unfortunately, most car buyers today aren't willing to buy a car that isn't loaded with every option imaginable. A CRX HF may get 50+ MPG without batteries, but it has manual everything, no A/C, and only belts for safety. If everybody drove small light cars it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but that is far from the case.

You have to remember until recently, the EPA fuel efficiency estimates were about 10-20% over inflated. The 2007 Prius that I bought had a listed 48 mpg when I bought it. Earlier in the year, it was listed as 60 mpg. The revised estimates put the CRX HF at 41 city / 49 highway (still very impressive).

If you want a modern CRX, look into the CRZ. Funny, it doesn't do as well in fuel efficiency as the CRX HF - but I'm sure does better at safety and such. Plus it's quicker (0-60 of 8.3 sec vs. 12 sec).

As far as the battery production footprint goes, I don't see what the big deal is. The Prius battery is designed to last the life of the car (mine has a 150,000 warranty on it, and they've been known to last a lot longer). Compared to the production of the rest of the car, the battery isn't that big a deal. This isn't a plug-in or EV only huge battery (see the Volt or Tesla Roadster). The battery in my car only holds the equivalent of 2 tablespoons of gasoline, as far as energy goes. The only point of the battery is to temporarily store energy typically lost during braking, and reuse it when accelerating.

BTW: It was 105 degrees F outside today. A/C is important depending on where you live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0