• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russian text in non-russian version

AntoxaGray

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
www.youtube.com
Red Orchestra 1 replaces all cyrillic letters with ~ (that's why you see ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~ in chat/names on russian servers).

UT3 has similar problem (it replaced letters with squares).

How is russian letters work in Red Orchestra 2? Because I don't want to install russian version just to see chat, I get used to english. Even if I didn't know language, I'd prefer normal words over ~~~~~~~~~~.

Reactions: Qtip
A fix for that, if doable, would definately be nice, as the Russian and European communities do overlap some, i've played with quite a few Ruskies, but the language barrier only gets worse when you don't even know how to address them (what do you shout out on voip when "□□□□□□□□" or "~~~~~~" is about to get naded? You basically have to resort to calling him "Hey you Russian guy").

Lets just hope it's not tied to your Windows localization in some annoying way they can't just fix..

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 1 replaces all cyrillic letters with ~ (that's why you see ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~ in chat/names on russian servers).

UT3 has similar problem (it replaced letters with squares).

How is russian letters work in Red Orchestra 2? Because I don't want to install russian version just to see chat, I get used to english. Even if I didn't know language, I'd prefer normal words over ~~~~~~~~~~.
It can be fixed with custom fonts. Same for RO1 :)

Upvote 0
Use the Google Translate engine to translate in-game Cyrillic into phonetic Russian or English, should be easy to implement!
faceg.gif

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
ya even if i dont understand a word of it seeing Cyrillic scrolling across the screen is definitely better than seeing a bunch of ~~~... especially since it's set on the eastern front in the first place :p.

Also it's annoying for player names. All the ruskies are just various lengths of "~" which makes it impossible to distinguish from another. Kinda stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0