• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knives/Spades/Melee Weapons for Everyone

Sycher

Jun 13, 2011
Does anyone else want the option of a decent, dedicated melee weapon for close combat? You can't tell me troopers back in the day didn't carry blades, and I've seen the spades those Russians are carrying.
Surely you will agree that beating people with your weapon (especially with the MP40's wire stock) wouldn't be nearly as good as a strike from an entrenching tool, correct? I just think riflemen shouldn't be the only ones with a half-decent way of killing up close (without shooting, I mean).
Thoughts?

Does anyone else want the option of a decent, dedicated melee weapon for close combat? You can't tell me troopers back in the day didn't carry blades, and I've seen the spades those Russians are carrying.
Surely you will agree that beating people with your weapon (especially with the MP40's wire stock) wouldn't be nearly as good as a strike from an entrenching tool, correct? I just think riflemen shouldn't be the only ones with a half-decent way of killing up close (without shooting, I mean).
Thoughts?

First, of course, melee in Roost just was impossible (I know, I just suck), so one thing to just fire the bullet generally in the enemy's direction.

Second, I think it is a shooter, and although melee has been succesfully implemented (quite rare yes, but CSS had it) I never used it.
In general the ranges in RO2 will not be like COD where the map consist of corners and bottlenecks.

Of course there is a rare occasion when a melee weapon (and a well designed melee mechanic) might save your life, but tbh I rather have a well designed rifle mechanic and armour penetration etc...
Just my opinion, I heard some of the forum members here are skilled melee artists:p

Upvote 0
Second, I think it is a shooter, and although melee has been succesfully implemented (quite rare yes, but CSS had it) I never used it.
In general the ranges in RO2 will not be like COD where the map consist of corners and bottlenecks.

I melee all the time in RO! And if we're going to be in Stalingrad (all urban all the time), I imagine at least a few maps would call for melee weapons.

Upvote 0
Weapon shot out of hand has been confirmed as not present.

The main reason for the lack of melee weapons in RO was that simply you wouldn't really go out of your way to use a specific melee weapon when you're already holding a perfectly good one in your hand. Buttsmacks and/or bayonets are just as effective as wielding a shovel or a knife, so implementing them serves no purpose.

Upvote 0
Another consideration is, as riflemen have the melee advantage with their bayonets, the only people "in need" of a melee-specific weapon would be assault troopers, combat engineers, machine-gunners, and anti-tank riflemen. If your class is among the latter two, you shouldn't be in a close-quarters combat situation. And if you're one of the former, then what would you prefer to use: a shovel, or that fully automatic submachine gun you're holding? :D

Upvote 0
Buttsmacks and/or bayonets are just as effective as wielding a shovel or a knife, so implementing them serves no purpose.

You think so? Maybe I just don't have the technique down, but buttstriking has always left a lot to be desired, in my experience.
You have to be in the guy's face (literally), and nail him just right for a kill.

If the devs change all that in RO2, I'll be satisfied, but if not, the option would definitely be nice (if for nothing other than the cool factor.)

Upvote 0
A slash as an alternative to the stab could be useful, if it had a field of damage instead of a pin-point. It could do less damage perhaps, but have a higher chance of hitting.

In the Source mod Pirates, Vikings, and Knights 2, sword swings actually projected five or six pin-point attacks in a row, and if you centered it properly and made them all hit a single enemy, he'd take the full brunt of your attack and lose the most health, but even if you messed up, you could still graze him for partial damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
I melee all the time in RO! And if we're going to be in Stalingrad (all urban all the time), I imagine at least a few maps would call for melee weapons.

Please quote well; 'Of course there is a rare occasion when a melee weapon (and a well designed melee mechanic) might save your life'
Soak in all info before responding:)

On your second point; Even in Odessa I never used my melee weapon, so I don't see how Stalingrad will be much more different or more urban.

You think so? Maybe I just don't have the technique down, but buttstriking has always left a lot to be desired, in my experience.
You have to be in the guy's face (literally), and nail him just right for a kill.

Totally agree.
Just the other day I shove my buttstock into a guy with brute force, just for him to instaturn and hipshot the hell out of me. Not even something like a concussion or anything to reflect me hitting him on the back of the head?

Upvote 0
A slash as an alternative to the stab could be useful, if it had a field of damage instead of a pin-point. It could do less damage perhaps, but have a higher chance of hitting.

Slashing seems more appropriate for the Kar's bayonet, as it appears to have a sharp edge. The MN bayonet looks to be suited for stabbing only, as it lacks a really sharp edge.

A question on slashing with the Kar bayonet might be how well it's fastened to the end. It looks like the end of the handle is clipped on. A good swing could put enough pressure on the business end, that it could torque the hand end away from the end of the rifle, rotating around the hilt (acting as a fulcrum). In essence, it could detach the bayonet if slashing and hitting something solid.

B1257-8.jpg

image from worldofbayonets.com

Upvote 0
I want a nicely fleshed-out hand to hand system for the combat lances, complete with lunging, getting locked into grappling, and generally a long drawn-out fight to be interrupted by the first guy's buddy to notice and shoot the other. No more dancing around, I want spitting at eachother over crossed rifles and kneeing one another in the groin. Unless, I come up behind someone or at someone aiming down his sights. Then its a free stab.

Upvote 0
Alan Wilson mentioned at one point they had all sorts of really intricate melee ideas, but realized the core gameplay of the game is firearms. So they decided to minimize the melee system, going with an improved version of what's in ROOST.

So don't get your hopes up that you'll be able to pull off that rear naked choke, or wrist lock.

Upvote 0
I just hope melee isnt too easy now. The difficulty of it was what made it so cool. I know some people dont see it that way, but those are the ones who didnt practice it. Anybody who's played on a server with me knows I'm a bayonetting madman, but it's because I practiced it. Believe it or not there is consistency in the way it acts, you just have to learn it.

Upvote 0
The thing is, melee weapons were used all the time in Stalingrad, you can say "ooh its not practical" but remember that....

Theres a collision system, so rifles with bayonets may be unwieldy indoors.

A knife or spade would be much more effective than a buttstock.

It can be used as a "quiet" way to kill someone, I know this is not a stealth game, but would you rather spray your smg to kill one guy and then attract attention?

Upvote 0
Well I would agree with the OP if we were talking about RO1, where you could hypothetically have all your weapons shot out of your hands and then be left with nothing to defend yourself (lame).

But since that can't happen in RO2, you will always have a weapon to defend yourself with in melee. I always prefer games using guns (with stocks or bayonets) for melees because I haven't see one game do knives or dedicated melee weapons where it didn't look really stupid and non-immersive.

Last edited:
Reactions: fredkruge
Upvote 0