• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I ask your opinion if I did the right thing...

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
I logged into bedlam on HoE with about 40 seconds left in a trader wave either before wave 5 or wave 6. For some unknown reason, I logged in as a level 6 firebug. I saw I had under 40 seconds, so I immediately hit '1' to switch to knife, and started to run to the trader. As I was running down the steps to the trader, everyone else was running back up. I ran past everyone, realized I wouldn't make it to the trader and safely back, so I turned around and ran back. I made it back to the group, total of 6, just after the wave started. I got in the back corner (we were in the 'L' shaped hall left of spawn) and switched to the MAC10.

Oops. No MAC10. No flamer. Nothing but an unperked 9mm. I weighed my options, gave my cash away, and immediately ran into the closest groups of specimens swinging a knife until I died.

After I died, I switched to sharpie so I would be able to fight from the back, have 2 perked weapons, and I wouldn't need much, if any, money for the next wave.

Well, you would have thought I shot some player's dog. Just about all of the players (I'm not going to name them) started saying that I was an idiot and that if I was going to suicide to do it before the wave started. I typed multiple times that I spawned without a perked weapon and that I thought that killing myself to lower the health of later spawned specimens was better for the team than using an unperked 9mm without full ammo. I typed multiple times that I spawned without a perked weapon and would be doing just about zero damage with an unperked 9mm from the back.

The team survived.

So I ask you if you think I did the right thing or if you think I should have fought with the group and just kept healing others when the unperked 9mm ammo ran out?

Firebug with only a 9mm on Hell on Earth?

I'd say reducing the specimen hp was probably more helpful than any non-medic healing you could have done. If it were one of the early waves you could have gotten away with just healing or helping clean up the clots. However, since you came in during scrake waves *and* you explained to the team why you did it, I don't see the problem.

We can speculate all we want but as you said the team survived the wave. So it's a moot argument for the rest of us.

Upvote 0
At wave 1-6, I wont suicide. With ANY perk. Even the spawn is bugged to give you no weapon.

Because only scrakes is really affected between 5 and 6 man. Any other zeds only need 1 or two more shots to kill. And with the use of 9mm, and you ONLY TARGET crawlers and bloats, it actually helps. Not to mention you have 3 fire nades. At least use all of them before you suicide.

If I know it's wave 7 already, I wont click ready during trader time. You just cant make it to trader and back to the defending spot in time 90% of the time. If I happened to spawn like that, I will tank the first wave of fleshpound(s) and then suicide.

It really dont have "that big" of a difference of zed's health between 5 and 6 man game. Add in the fact that with one player willing to use his life to tank the fleshpound, most likely the team can kill the first wave of pound(s) unharmed.

I wont call your move is a "wrong move", but you can have some better options.

Upvote 0
I think you did the right thing, though I would've probably sat out the wave (killed myself or went to spec right before the wave started, though the former can be tough as firebug ;) ). For earlier waves it doesn't really matter too much, since if your team is half competent they should be able to get to at least wave 7 or so.

The spawning without weapons is an unfortunate glitch that happens to me all the time. I'll select level 6 sharpie or whatever perk I want to play and all of a sudden spawn as a lv 2 zerker (although my zerker is lv 6) or lv 0 commando. And I'm stuck with that until the next wave so I usually wind up going to spec and sitting the wave. I was once even autokicked on an HoE server for spawning as a lv 2 zerker when I wanted to play lv 6 medic :mad:

Upvote 0
i have to say i dsagree you should have keep healing dude. even if they are noob having an extra player alive makes a big differance

Perhaps if he was a Medic, Zerker, or even a Sharphooter, but as a Firebug only thing he would be good for is a heal every 15 seconds or so and distracting Husks.

Firebugs get no real bonuses outside their perk weapons :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps if he was a Medic, Zerker, or even a Sharphooter, but as a Firebug only thing he would be good for is a heal every 15 seconds or so and distracting Husks.

Firebugs get no real bonuses outside their perk weapons :)

If you spawn with nothing, firebug is better than demo and support already. Without GL, you need AT LEAST 2 nade to be half-effective. Not to mention after zed dodging the nades, you may only kill 2 clots with two nades even as demo.

Fire nade damge is high enough to make anything under gorefasts dead and gorefasts will die as they decap.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, but i think that the health stays at the level that the waves starts on; i.e. 6 players when the timer hits 0:00, full-strength specs for that whole wave.

that's what i orgionally thought - but since heard from somewhere or someone that specs spawn with a health proporional to the number of players alive - i think some posts here mention that.
So asides from the 32(?) or so already spawned specs when you die - you are doing your team a favour.

If it was wave 7 i probably would have blocked the 1st FP for the team.
If there was no medic and the team were holding a position I possibly would have healed but all said it was prob the best move.

Upvote 0