• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why is the default for mutators not greylist?

jorgamun

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2010
United States
I like the idea of the greylist but why is that not the default for all mutators not whitelisted? I've noticed that even the mutators for single enemy types has been removed from the whitelist and greylist. Is there any reason for removing a very enjoyable and skill-increasing portion of the game from being playable? I'm discouraged from even making many of my mods come into fruition just from knowing that I won't be able to use my perks with them.

What is the logic behind making the game practically unplayable for non-whitelisted mutators when it's been demonstrated and put into effect the mode of disabling them from raising perks while still using them?

Please read my post before you reply. I completely understand why they were de-whitelisted but it makes no real sense to have a blacklist AND a greylist.

Because they don't even work.

Other specimins start spawning after the 2nd or so wave.

You should be using the "Specimen Only" mutator which IS graylisted and DOES function.

Please search the forum before posting. This isn't even posted in the right section FFS.

Upvote 0
Because they don't even work.

Other specimins start spawning after the 2nd or so wave.

You should be using the "Specimen Only" mutator which IS graylisted and DOES function.

You missed the point of the entire post. It's not just about the specimen mutators- that was only the example. Maybe read the rest of it before you focus on a tiny aspect before davaluing the whole? Can you actually provide a reason why there is both a blacklist and a greylist?

Please search the forum before posting. This isn't even posted in the right section FFS.

I did search, thanks. What are you even implying here? That posting a new thread about relevant issues is a bad thing in a mostly dead forum? How is this not in the right section? Correct me if I'm wrong but this does seem like a suggestion.

Is the attitude here really just to write off anyone that doesn't adhere to your personal views of strict, mostly pointless rules? It's obvious that I'm not a troll or a spammer. Why even bother chastising me over trivial things instead of addressing what I'm actually saying?

Upvote 0
It's because there's no way to make the perk data read-only, so if just any mutator is allowed to access this data it can modify it (and thus give you level 6 perks etc. immediately). All mutators must be checked first by someone at TWI before they can be white/greylisted, to verify that they aren't trying to do anything strange.

Reactions: jorgamun
Upvote 0
but it makes no real sense to have a blacklist AND a greylist.

Actually it does, mutators are put on the blacklist instead of the greylist by default so mutators that modify things related to perks don't become broken instantly due to the game loading your normal perk levels, for example mutators that allow you to level to 20 etc.

Though you have a point, these default mutators should be greylisted. There is absolutely no reason to blacklist them as they don't modify anything related to perks that could possibly break them.

If you still want to use perks (even if it are not your normal ones) you could try using this. Download link for it can be found here.

Last edited:
Reactions: jorgamun
Upvote 0
It's because there's no way to make the perk data read-only, so if just any mutator is allowed to access this data it can modify it (and thus give you level 6 perks etc. immediately). All mutators must be checked first by someone at TWI before they can be white/greylisted, to verify that they aren't trying to do anything strange.

Ah, okay! Well it makes sense now. That's the legitimate reason I was looking for.

Yin said:
If you still want to use perks (even if it are not your normal ones) you could try using this. Download link for it can be found here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek
Upvote 0
Anyone has the default mutators still not working atm? I do.
PS : If you want mutators to play with perk levels ( Atleast useful for LVL 5) just select the mutator you want and then select the Perk Selector mutator ( I don't know the link ). In the old version you could select just Lvl 5 , dunno if there is an updated one.

Upvote 0
No, you can't use your perks at ALL. I don't consider that playable. Please read my post before you reply. I completely understand why they were de-whitelisted but it makes no real sense to have a blacklist AND a greylist.

You will like the mutator that works with any other mutator - it lets you select your perks and their levels so you can play a game on an unlisted mutator with perks. THE PERK SELECTOR. :O There's no perk progression, though.

Upvote 0