• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gradual speed loss upon stamina depletion

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
Pretty strait forward.

In ROOST, when you run out of stamina, you stop sprinting instantly.

I think it would feel a bit more immersive, and be more realistic, if instead your sprint speed gradually decreases as you're about to run out of stamina. We know incremental running speed will be implemented, due to the weight system. So I can't see why incremental speed based on stamina couldn't be too.

Hopefully it's already in there.

Note, the idea came from the idea about slowing down on hills. Speed should be dependent on angle in that case, IMO.

yes adrenaline should be taken into account. Always ticked me off that I would stop in the middle of the street and pant like a baby when bullets are going by my head.

Adrenaline (AKA surpression) should counteract stamina degredation/effects of degredation. The question is, should it make you run faster or slower then your non surpressed, non fatigued player. Anyone want to volunteer to test that out?

Upvote 0
I feel there should be two layers of stamina. The first is like the current, depletes and recharges. Then there should be a layer inside that which represents your adrenaline-fueled "reserve". Whatever you deplete from this affects the regular layer, and caps the regular layer's maximum at however far down (well, "up") you depleted your inner.

The cap represents the depletion of your absolute-emergency reserve, the recovery of which requires food and a night's rest.

Of course you don't want to have your reserve stamina kicking in without realizing it, so it should take the reapplication of the sprint command to toggle it on once you've used up your regular/outer layer.

Upvote 0
yes and no forssen the end solution should be simple ( not multiple stamina bars and having to re engage run, that will tick people off ).

Imo I think a players run speed could be charted on a parrabola like graph.

Y = stamina, X = surpression ( heartbeat / adrenaline )
Starting from the left with high stamina and low surpression, running decreases the players run speed until the player is at a walking / jogging speed. As adrenaline increases to rise the players movement speed increases back up towards their full running speed. It might be wise to cap that right side of the parrabola off at some point if high levels of adrenaline can/cannot make you run faster then your regular self.

IMO a graph like this is
A: not very cpu intensive
B: Simplistic
C: Something that players will easily grasp / learn
D: Feels right. getting shot at gives you the abiltiy to MOVE even if fatigued, because one motivator stronger then rest is to survive.

Upvote 0
I don't think that suppression should instantly effect your stamina due to adrenalin. I feel that they should implement something where if you are already running, your stamina gets increased by 50% of current level. If you are standing still or already behind cover, your stamina gets reduced.

Case A. Player is running (ran out of sprint and is jogging with half sprint recovered). Comes under fire and by dumb luck isn't hit. He starts to sprint to cover, and now has 75 % sprint to make it to his destination. After having no bullets come within X meters of him for 3 seconds, the bonus is dropped. He now loses 25% sprint (possible to go negative, takes longer to recover)

This represents the fear of getting hit that makes him haul *** to get out of the line of fire.

Case B. Player is shooting at enemies from behind hard cover (not penetrable). He comes under fire from an enemy LMG. He ducks back behind cover, and loses sprint due to suppression.

This represents the unwillingness of the soldier to stick his head out, much less his entire body, and expose himself to enemy fire.

If the soldier happens to be in the middle of the field and not moving. Well thats tough luck. That represents the soldier hitting the dirt to avoid fire from an unexpected quarter, saying a couple Hail Marys, and praying not to get hit.

Upvote 0
I don't think that suppression should instantly effect your stamina due to adrenalin. I feel that they should implement something where if you are already running, your stamina gets increased by 50% of current level. If you are standing still or already behind cover, your stamina gets reduced.

Case A. Player is running (ran out of sprint and is jogging with half sprint recovered). Comes under fire and by dumb luck isn't hit. He starts to sprint to cover, and now has 75 % sprint to make it to his destination. After having no bullets come within X meters of him for 3 seconds, the bonus is dropped. He now loses 25% sprint (possible to go negative, takes longer to recover)

This represents the fear of getting hit that makes him haul *** to get out of the line of fire.

Case B. Player is shooting at enemies from behind hard cover (not penetrable). He comes under fire from an enemy LMG. He ducks back behind cover, and loses sprint due to suppression.

This represents the unwillingness of the soldier to stick his head out, much less his entire body, and expose himself to enemy fire.

If the soldier happens to be in the middle of the field and not moving. Well thats tough luck. That represents the soldier hitting the dirt to avoid fire from an unexpected quarter, saying a couple Hail Marys, and praying not to get hit.

You just said it shouldnt be instant, then made it something that happens instantly when you get shot at...

I think I'm going to refine that graph idea then actually graph it and upload the graph to illustrate further...

Upvote 0