• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design WIP - New mission map

S281

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
CA
I started working on another short mission map. It will take place in a forest with a mansion/facility. Fighting will take place in large open areas along with close quarter areas. Game play will probably be around 40 minutes. My friend Will is going to be doing the spawns this time around, as Fel is busy.
Roughly 95% of the map geometry is done already. A beta will probably be out in about a month. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Here are some images:

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P1.jpg

Very cool, I will remember to come to you If i have some easy questions for my map later on (skyboxes, etc.) Also, is that ladder in the last picture usable? If so, can u point me to some instructions? I am trying to fit a staircase going to a attic in one of my buildings but its too cramped and my original plan was to use a ladder (The map Im working on, was planned and drawn out three years ago, and was supposed to be made in Radient for CoD:WaW Zombies but now today, I have moved to KF and UnrealEd) I swear my life, Radient is not as user friendly as UnrealEd.

Upvote 0
Making ladders are easy in UnrealEd.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Add_A_Ladder

1: Place a ladder mesh(or what ever you intend players to climb)
2: cover mesh with blocking volume and turn off the meshes collision.
3: Place a ladder volume around the mesh and leave it big enough to enclose a player standing next to ladder. Also leave some "slack(of the volume)" on top of the ladder, this makes it easier for players to grab on and climb down.
4: Change the ladder volume's Walldir to point towards the ladder(Not up).
5. Make sure Autopath is set to true in laddervolume properties and rebuild the level.

Upvote 0
Making ladders are easy in UnrealEd.

[url]http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Add_A_Ladder[/URL]

1: Place a ladder mesh(or what ever you intend players to climb)
2: cover mesh with blocking volume and turn off the meshes collision.
3: Place a ladder volume around the mesh and leave it big enough to enclose a player standing next to ladder. Also leave some "slack(of the volume)" on top of the ladder, this makes it easier for players to grab on and climb down.
4: Change the ladder volume's Walldir to point towards the ladder(Not up).
5. Make sure Autopath is set to true in laddervolume properties and rebuild the level.

You have no idea who you are talking to buddy. This guy knows EVERYTHING about UnrealED nuff said.

Upvote 0
Very cool, I will remember to come to you If i have some easy questions for my map later on (skyboxes, etc.) Also, is that ladder in the last picture usable? If so, can u point me to some instructions? I am trying to fit a staircase going to a attic in one of my buildings but its too cramped and my original plan was to use a ladder (The map Im working on, was planned and drawn out three years ago, and was supposed to be made in Radient for CoD:WaW Zombies but now today, I have moved to KF and UnrealEd) I swear my life, Radient is not as user friendly as UnrealEd.

:confused: Instructions

Upvote 0
Maybe some crown molding in the top corners of that mansion shot would make the room look better.

Good idea!

Also, is that ladder in the last picture usable?

Yes it is. Only reason I put a ladder in the map though is because the player has to constantly move forward in the map to kill zeds. I wouldn't recommend using it in a normal KF map though due to it being used as an exploit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about redoing the inside of the room in the second picture (I think it is it)? The mosaic tile would look nice only on the ceiling or on the floor. I never been in a building where it was on the walls (no hard feelings, its constructive criticism). Possibly use a wallpaper from the Danzig T - T2 texture folders.

And thanks slavek for the tutorial!

Upvote 0
The mosaic tile would look nice only on the ceiling or on the floor. I never been in a building where it was on the walls (no hard feelings, its constructive criticism).

No hard feelings at all. I have however been in a building that has mosaic tile everywhere. Hurst Castle located in San Simeon, CA. That room does however need some more smaller details still.

Upvote 0