• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bren Gun - How can it work? If it can, Yes or No?

Bren Gun - How can it work? If it can, Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 68 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.0%

• Total voters
That being said, I can see am argument for this being a Support weapon. My first instinct is that it would bring more to Commando though, with a noticibly different weapon.

I can see why you'd think that this would fit with support the best. The gun has heavy weight and a lot of power behind it, just like the AA12 and the LAW, both are considered support weapons because A: the AA12 is a total monster and B: The LAW is associated with support because of the weight and has always been called a support weapon before the addition of the demoman.

Since this is a fully-automatic weapon and not a shotgun of any sorts, I like to consider it an addition to the commando. Perhaps if the Bren's weight was 9 and not 10, the commando would be able to carry a Bullpup (if memory serves).

Upvote 0
I still don't get how the Bren Gun and the Medic are related:rolleyes:

This ^

The medic isn't about laying down large amounts of firepower, he's about healing and giving small amounts of protection to his "clients." :/

For the heaviness of the gun, it could go to support or for it's full-automatic style, it's for commando. Hell, that needs a second poll but It's not worth it if it's not supported by modders/devs.

Upvote 0
wait.....that would suggest that all medics are ramboes.

*shudder* zerdics.

Ugh, don't get me started. Was on west london last week. A level six medic joins, and he tells us he's a "medicK" (yes, with a f*cking k at the end) so he wasn't going to heal. So instead of moving to votekick him, I assumed he meant he wasn't going to *focus* on healing since gold icon implies some level of competence. Team somehow manages to wipe out, and the [series of expletives] charges into a squad of specimens with katana out. He lasts a good five or six seconds and everyone that died before him just ragequit. :mad:

tldr: pub games are awesome:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'd like to see Bren as a Commando weapon. Thinking it will encourage camping? I think not, if you really think like that I believe Tripwire can add a little "overheating" effect next to the immeasurable recoil to it at the next patches to make sure you'll be pretty mobile while using it. So I voted for "yes" without any guilt.

Upvote 0
Instead of the "alt-fire to kinda sight" thing, maybe just have a ring sight like the Shotgun (and maybe about the same accuracy)? It could also have insane spread while hip-fired and insane recoil while standing. So the only way to fire it reliably is to crouch and sight, while standing and sighting would be relatively accurate but only for one shot.

As for the weapon itself, it needs something to differentiate it from the SCAR. The SCAR has the semi-auto function to allow you to shoot conservatively and accurately - the Bren Gun needs something different to make it useful at close range. Either higher damage or penetration in my opinion. Maybe the slightly higher damage (1-hitting Crawlers and Stalkers on any difficulty) is enough already...?

Upvote 0
Machine gun doesn't have to have massive damage, it's just have to spam bullet and provide some cover, some support. Medic has to support team, he can do more support than just healing stupid teammates. Machine gun will also give ability to medic to somehow cover team.

Machine gun doesn't have to annihilate everything. It's about to provide cover for whole team, as they regrouping or changing positions.

SUPPORTing team, If you give it to other classes it will be equal to overpowered annihilation.

Upvote 0
Machine gun doesn't have to have massive damage, it's just have to spam bullet and provide some cover, some support. Medic has to support team, he can do more support than just healing stupid teammates. Machine gun will also give ability to medic to somehow cover team.

Machine gun doesn't have to annihilate everything. It's about to provide cover for whole team, as they regrouping or changing positions.

SUPPORTing team, If you give it to other classes it will be equal to overpowered annihilation.

Only if the ALT fire is medi darts at 100 rounds per second. :troll:

Upvote 0

Well the medic is about support, but unlike commando he's not about firepower support. Commando's always taken the "fire support" role for varying ranges unlike Support Spec and Sharpie who find themselves tied to just one kind of range.

Anyway, would there be anyone around here who'd be willing to make a mutator to alter some of the numeric values of the bullpup to see what kind of stats will suit the "bren?"

It'd be muchly appreciated. :eek:

Upvote 0
Commando is not support, not even close. It's up to commando to call shots and lead team. There no way for him to be support. He need light weapon with high rpm, to clean ways for his team and lead it.

Machine gun on other hand, is lower rpm, designed for cover. So say medic is in tail of team, he have to make sure zeds doesn't catch up. So his work to make good cover for team. He doesn't need crazy rpm for that. He just need to spam bullets and kill stuff. Easy as that.

Whatever. It's just strategically stupid for Commando to have heavy MG. Might be good for look and lolz though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh maaan! Sorry guys... I voted NO but I wanted vote YES!!! Don't ask how... :eek:
Well, anyways looks good, except I don't see here any perks which would use it really good. Commando would still pick AK47 and SCAR, Maybe Firebug adding him fire bullets, but I think flamethrower and Mac10 are enough... no other perks would fit with it unless maybe a med...?

Reactions: C_Gibby
Upvote 0
Commando is not support, not even close. It's up to commando to call shots and lead team. There no way for him to be support. He need light weapon with high rpm, to clean ways for his team and lead it.

All the time I play Commando, I'm always supporting my team by killing everything they've missed, or enemies that get a little too close, thus saving the lives of team members; thus supporting them in that sense. Also, the commando holds a sweeper role as well which can be emphasised with the Bren Gun.

Machine gun on other hand, is lower rpm, designed for cover. So say medic is in tail of team, he have to make sure zeds doesn't catch up. So his work to make good cover for team. He doesn't need crazy rpm for that. He just need to spam bullets and kill stuff. Easy as that.

He is in tail of team, but he's definitely high-RPM when you look at the MP7. He does keep crawlers off the team, but that's what I see as the commando's job.

Answers in bold. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Good amount of thought put into balance, doesn't carry my usual distain that comes with seeing an LMG thread. The weaknesses are well thought out, and when you put it all together (contrary to the point I so vermently argued in a certain other thread) it seems like it could work.

My only real concern is how it alters the style of its given perk. I feel its definately a Commando weapon if anything, since I recently learned it fires the same kind of rounds as the other Commando weapons. Also the Commando does overcome alot of the immediate downsides to the weapon, so it seems quite desirable for the Commando.
Plus Support is meant to be poor at long range, and even with the lack of iron sights, this weapon would still perform pretty well at range. Then of course they already have the AA12, and lets face it Bren Gun + AA12 = rape.
Plus alot of players see the Support as the new Sharpshooter, we don't need to fan that flame anymore :)

My issue is, what would the Commando buy this for? This weapon would have a big clip (including perk bonus) pushing it closer to that turret weapon people fear, and a big damage output, a quick reload (Due to Commando's fast reload bonus) and low recoil (Perk bonus). This would shift the Commando from his designed role of taking out smaller foes and focus him onto taking on much larger foes.

My fear is at worst it would either become the new M14 unless its ammo were rather stingy or it creates largely the same problem the SCAR did before the nerf, where rather than do their job Commandos went after everything.

Not saying No, but I'm not saying Yes either :)

EDIT: On a side note, its definately not a Medic weapon. Medics have no place holding a such a high powered weapons with such a big ammo supply. Don't forget that the Medic gets double the clip size for his weapons so he owuld have the huge 100 bullet turret that everyone fears this gun will become. They have it in BFBC2 because they shrank the 9 classes down to 4 so their perk descriptions are rather broad. Killing Floor has 7 perks. Medics job is to heal and take on small enemies in a pinch, nothing more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My issue is, what would the Commando buy this for? This weapon would have a big clip (including perk bonus), and a big damage output, a quick reload (Due to Commando's fast reload bonus) and low recoil (Perk bonus). This would shift the Commando from his designed role of taking out smaller foes and focus him onto taking on much larger foes.

Well even I am a little stumped on how it can be effectively implemented as a commando weapon but I still see it as a slow-auto close-range high-cap pre-nerf SCAR.

It can't reliably shoot fast enough to kill the larger enemies but it can get into the role of the commando which is sweeping and distributing damage to large amounts of targets which is still filled by the Bren Gun.

The damage output would only be "big" once the user is a level 5/6 commando and if the recoil is initially quite high (not made too ridiculous thanks to the lower speed) and if the reload is rather sluggish, it will only be sped up by just a little bit in the hands of a high-level. The stats of the weapon are to be made with the perks in mind and the level progress is to make the Bren a little easier to handle for those in the higher difficulties. Imagine the effectiveness of the weapon almost staying the same as you progress up the levels and at the same time, the difficulties. It's still pretty difficult for me to make an argument for it in this aspect because it hasn't even been tried yet, so nothing could be said about balance.

I beleive that there will have to be a stats mutator for an existing commando weapon to see how it turns out. :) Just an alteration of the bullpup's ROF, Damage and recoil.

Upvote 0
Aye, modifying the SCAR with a mutator seems to be the way to go.

Who knows, it might be fine since you don't have a back up weapon it might function kind of like the old Firebugs did. You could hose down a mob but your gonna make it harder on yourself later on.

It shows alot of potential that it could work, I'd just be a little reserved to how it can't be overpowered given the large clip and old SCAR damage. On paper it sounds beastly :)

Upvote 0