• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lever Action Rifle, M14, and Handcannon

Nah, SS shouldn't be handling trash. You can do some defense by popping heads but for offensive purposes the commando and the like are kings and should be.

BUT...I'd like at least a single body shot kill with the HC on crawlers...just because it's difficult to see the heads on em. Maybe do single shot head only on HoE.

9mm? Nah. Headshot if you can see the head. Spam a couple cheap rounds if you can't.

The handcannon though should be able to drop the smallest zed in the game with one shot..no spam. The limited ammo, price, reload time, all that won't allow the HC to be misused for overall trash killing. I don't think it would be disruptive to game balance to allow HC to bodyshot a crawler...in the interest of fun and reduced annoyance.

-OR-

Put some glowing f'n eyeballs on the crawler or something so I can actually see his head. It's not that the head is hard to hit (which it is..that's ok) it's that it's difficult to even see. If I could actually make out his head I would gain great enjoyment trying to hit the tiny little thing with a HC.

Upvote 0
I know its probably been laid out already.. but can anyone put some numbers to how many head shots it takes to down a scrake, Fleshie, with the Lever Action and M14 6man HoE?

With a 6lv sharpshooter using Xbow, LAR, M14, on 6-man HoE you need:

Scrakes: 2, 5 (rage after 3rd shot), 7 (rage after 4th shot) headshots

Pounds: 4 (insant-rage), 7 (instant-rage), 10 (rage after 2 shots if fired within 3 seconds) headshots

Side note, if you miss the first shot on scrake and hit his body, the following head shot will be enough to bring him below 75% health. So if you miss once, better finish him off before he start moving again. Each stun on scrakes gives you around 10 seconds. (and more or less teamates will do enough damage to rage him anyway. if you are using xbow, you NEED to kill him once you place the first head shot.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wasn't the lever action rifle a tier 1 weapon? How is a tier 1 weapon going to 1 shot a crawler on HoE, while a tier 3 weapon (m14) takes 2 shots?
The M14 uses 7.62x51mm NATO rounds which is stronger than lever action winchester bullets (courtesy of CandleJack & Rainydaykid)

To help explain the bit of a Lever Action killing a crawler in one hit while the M14 does not in a realistic setting is rather stupid as its a game. But screw it its indeed fun so I'll do just that. :D

Considering the setting. (The United Kingdom.) and their rather strict gun laws I'm going to assume a few things. I expect a few people will agree with me.

The Lever Action Rifle.

(Assumed to be a Winchester 1894 firing .30-30 for this bit.) is designed primarily for hunting and was very good at the job. The magazine capacity isn't standard '10' magazine however there are many different 'types' of the model made and 10 round magazines are available. Its very popular in the US as a hunting weapon and I can only assume easier to acquire then the M14 by civilian shooters.

The M14 EBR

(Assumed to be the M14... oh well you know.) is well... A 'Battle Rifle'. If more details are required I can provide them however most people are aware of what its designed for. The difference is the UK military only uses 7.62mm Ball ammunition. As said before considering the UK gun laws I believe its safe to assume most ammunition used is the Ball one due to well... the lack of civilian ammunition.

Putting it together.

The LAR would preform better due to tissue damage caused with its flat or rounded nose then the M14 firing ball ammunition with the simple design of the bullet. The M14 cuts through while the .30-30 pounds through. With all the specimens being squishy flesh its easy to assume the LAR would be the better preforming weapon.

Useless stuff I figured I'd add.

Although the .308 Winchester round. (Used in the Model 88 LAR -NOT THE WEAPON USED INGAME!-) can use the spitzer design and hell if I recall the Model 88 can fire 7.62mm NATO.

Course as I said before its rather stupid to do this but I am bored at work.

Upvote 0
The M14, like all Sharpshooter weapons, are meant to shoot the head. Crawlers shot in the head by a level 6 SS's M14 on HoE die in 1 hit, I believe.
I believe sir, that it's easier to knife it, rather trying to aim for it covered with horns head.

However, I don't mind it. It's firebug or support or commando's job to take those down.

There also Deagle or LAR for help.

Upvote 0
Are you talking to me? And if so, I do know how to aim for the head like a god without iron sights. And what weapons are you comparing?
No, I'm addressing the original poster and comparing the LAR to the M14 like they did. If I were talking to you, I'd have used the reply feature or quoted you.....
:rolleyes:

Heh, I can't even see the head on crawlers until they are waaay too close. Black head on a black body hunched over so there is no silhouette. The only way to see it is to crank your gamma until the game looks stupid.

For this reason alone I wish we would keep crawlers as single body shot for any Tier 3+ weapon.
That's what commandos are for. Annihilating crawlers.

Upvote 0