• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poll Suggestion: Option for minimum level to join server

Poll Suggestion: Option for minimum level to join server

• TWI sets min/max levels for each mode

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Server hosts sets min/max levels for each mode

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • TWI adds some form of tutorial to teach appropriate levels for each difficulty

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters

Hartassen

Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2010
Sweden
As it is now a lot of people including myself find it annoying or frankly outrageous to play on suicidal wave 10 and have 2-3 lvl 0's join only to contribute nothing and just die and make us all fail horribly. Now I'm not out to punish the noob community but too often you see lvl 0-1 joining hard or suicidal servers because there is no easy way for them to know that they are meant to start at beginner than normal.

For me the progression looks something like this
Beginner: 0-2
Normal 2-4
Hard 3-5
Suicidal 5-6
Hell on Earth 6

That's what I would call "balanced" levels for each mode, a minimum level and a max level ensuring that both skilled and crap players can choose to go higher or lower depending on how good they are. Low level players joining high lvl is just about as ruining as it is to have a lvl 6 in a beginner/normal stealing all the kills from low level players.

If TW is not going to implement such a feature themselves I at least suggest you give the server hosts the ability to input a minimum/maximum level. If you choose a perk that is not inside that range then you won't spawn and if you don't have a perk that equals the lowest required level you won't be able to join with a message stating why.

If none of this is satisfactory then at least add some new player guide with the suggested levels above for each difficulty. So that the new players know how to progress through the game.

P.S. I forgot to state that the tutorial should be INGAME as some form of mandatory read or introduction along with the hints/tips that 98% of all players don't read (like how syringe works better if you use it on a teammate rather than yourself).

Last edited:
Been suggested before.
Easier fix: set the default difficulty of the server brwoser from "any difficulty" to "normal".
Most of the time, the lv0s don't even know that they're on the hardest difficulty, they just pick some game and join it.
After all, they are in fact starting off playing this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
I'm curious as to how something like this would work since we all have seven perks.

Example:
Player X (How mysterious! Who is he/ she/ it?) has Sharpshooter to level 5. Their team is "handling it" and Player X decides to switch to a lower perk to get it some xp. They switch to level 2 Firebug, instead of using a Flmethrower as an SS. (Doesn't stop most poeople though. :p) If the minimum level were 4, would it kick players if they switch to a perk under level 4?

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
Been suggested before.
Easier fix: set the default difficulty of the server brwoser from "any difficulty" to "normal".
Most of the time, the lv0s don't even know that they're on the hardest difficulty, they just pick some game and join it.

This is exactly what happened to me when I started playing KF. A simple fix that should solve the majority of the problem.

Upvote 0
Awful idea. As 9_6 said TWI should set the initial server browser setting to normal. Another option is to have a dialogue box that pops up telling you when you join a suicidal or HoE server that it's difficult. The box would have a 'don't show this again' check box so that it doesn't show up again.
I disagree. Imo it's a great idea. Do u rly like what's happening latelly at difficulties Hard+? All goes great untill at least one lvl 0 joins.

Reactions: [UIT] Akame
Upvote 0
This is why I got my own passworded private server now. I can invite people I have played with extensively in the past, and know that no one is going to join and ruin the game. I have no issue with new people, and in fact I try to help people as much as possible. I use my mic on servers and announce they are on the hardest difficulty and need to get a lower skill level. Most of them say ok, and leave, which leads me to agree with the idea someone mentioned of setting default to normal. One guy said he was a good shot and could handle it, lvl 2 sharp, he proceeded to kill one clot then get raped by 3 gorefasts before he rage quit.

My server is 10 bucks a month, the peace of mind is worth it. Yeah, we still wipe on HoE, but it is not due to random people joining.

Reactions: Dolphin Buff Man
Upvote 0
Been suggested before.

I think this is a good idea. To set the starter to beginner or normal, however something like this wouldn't fix the problem it would just alleviate the symptoms a little bit.

I'm curious as to how something like this would work since we all have seven perks.

Example:
Player X (How mysterious! Who is he/ she/ it?) has Sharpshooter to level 5. Their team is "handling it" and Player X decides to switch to a lower perk to get it some xp. They switch to level 2 Firebug, instead of using a Flmethrower as an SS. (Doesn't stop most poeople though. :p) If the minimum level were 4, would it kick players if they switch to a perk under level 4?

Before you join a server with a minimum requirement of let's say perk level 5. The server would check to see if any of your perks were 5. If you then get into the server all perks except those at lvl 5 are greyed out and cannot be chosen. If you had a lvl 2 perk and joined you will automatically assume one of your lvl 5 perks (preferably the one that has progressed the farthest). I really don't see a problem with this.

I'd rather:
Beginner: 0-1
Normal: 2-3
Hard: 4-5
Suicidal: 5-6
HoE: 6(+?)

My choices were based on the fact that some people are just really bad. I mean I can start at normal at lvl 0 and still be on top of the list. Other people can play in normal at lvl 2 and still suck therefore I think my list offers more variety for skilled players and also for bad players. I mean a good player can go to suicidal at lvl 4 (3 is too early) but some people need more time and therefore should be allowed to stay on hard to at least 5 (when they spawn with a weapon and can handle suicidal more easily)

Awful idea. As 9_6 said TWI should set the initial server browser setting to normal. Another option is to have a dialogue box that pops up telling you when you join a suicidal or HoE server that it's difficult. The box would have a 'don't show this again' check box so that it doesn't show up again.

A lot of people don't speak english or even bother to read tooltips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
how about making the standard setting in the difficulty filter set to normal/beginner instead of any? That way players will first play an easier difficulty isntead of randomly joining a HOE server...

Please friend, read the posts above before you write your own. It was suggested in an earlier post and I added it in my OP.

Upvote 0
Every time this gets suggested, and it has been talked about before either if you were on these forums, I pop in to suggest that one thing there because its the simplest fix for new people getting their asses handed to them.

If its a game of "said here first" then you the OP should have used the good ol search function. As it is I am in exam mode right now, so reading a page and missing text right in the middle comes naturally ....;)

Upvote 0
Every time this gets suggested, and it has been talked about before either if you were on these forums, I pop in to suggest that one thing there because its the simplest fix for new people getting their asses handed to them.

If its a game of "said here first" then you the OP should have used the good ol search function. As it is I am in exam mode right now, so reading a page and missing text right in the middle comes naturally ....;)

I did use the search function unfortunately I couldn't find a dedicated thread for it so I see no reason to post in a multiple suggestion idea thread as it would get 0 attention.

Upvote 0
I just have to bump this thread to vent my frustration for all the lvl 0-3(hell even ****ig lvl 4) joining hell on earth to then proceed to beg for money as they die every goddamn wave and in the end that achievement I wanted for (insert map) and that 2-3 other people wanted goes down the drain. You start over to only have some other lvl 0 retard who never went to class and can't read server rules "perks 5+" comes in.

First you try to calmly explain to him that he is too low level for this setting
A: He says **** YOU I CAN PLAY WHEREVER I WANT
B: No answer

You then proceed to yell
A: LOL U MAD?
B: No Answer

C: I quit and wonder why TWI didn't think of this simple exploit players can do to one another. Furthermore no level capping in servers just promotes low lvl sucking *** even at higher lvls as there seems to always be a lvl 5-6 present in normal-hard games to carry these noobs into higher lvls.

At the moment only 1/5 games that are public contain people of appropriate levels for the difficulty they are playing in.

It's both sad and sickening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
That's easier said then done, I had a lvl0/1 SS in a normal game. I tried to explain that when he can get a LAR and then XBOW/M14. Nope, dual weilded pistols the whole way though. 7/8th wave I (medic) even bought him an XBOW, nope. Didn't want to know, I ended up using it to do his job. Patty, bought him a xbow again, wouldn't take it. When that happens it's a pain.

Ah yes, the stubborn ones. THOSE are the ones you threaten to kick :p

Upvote 0