• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Banzai Charges

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
I was recently reading a pacific theater semi fictional book about Guadal Canal ( Edsons ridge ) to get into the RS mood. Kinda got me thinking on the bus ride home, How will Banzai charges be represented in RS if at all? It goes against the way that 'RO' Realism games structure fighting and would often leave the players eating a quick lead death sentence.

A few ideas come to mind in that the commander could order a Banzai charge, or it could be demaned of the Japanese players when their reinforcements get low ( how you could demand it of them I am not sure ).

What do you envision as a method for including this?

Bonzai charges remind me of that Beach Assualt map in RO.
Spawn in boat, charge the wire, die, repeat ad nauseum...

Hmmm..how to 'make' people attack (and in a bonzai type group)?
If that were a desired segment of the game.....off the top of my head, howabout....

Commander has a command that calls for a bonzai attack.
When he issues that command, all those that die are put in to the " bonzai pool".
After a percentage of avail players has been placed in to the pool, they respawn en mass.
From then on, it is instant respawn upon death for the attackers. If you die, you respawn instantly somewhere extremely close to the greatest density of attackers.

Lots of easy coding.....:p

Upvote 0
That's a start. Just wondering how you would ever destroy a banzai rush then if people never endingly spawned close to their mates instantly after death?

I think there is a possibility to take advantage of certain points in the round / map to have one of these, however making them predictable would completely ruin the effect. Therefore they have to be at unpredictable points in the map ( non scripted )...

I guess this ties into teams actually being able to set up defensive points ( foxholes , defensive line ) to which the enemy charge at.

Perhaps due to the nature of combat in the pacific teams would be given a small bit of " start up time " do throw together some defences (ie entrenching tool dugout ). The round then starts and the enemy must take ground exactly as in most RO infantry maps. The defensive position would not necessarily be locked to one area, and the attackers not to one attacking direction. So it would be up to the attacking Japanese commander to first find the enemies position, choose a direction of attack, and choose whether to charge or move in at a more relaxed pace. With some kind of bonus being given to the use of a banzai charge ( steam achievment?, necessary to become Japanese Hero class if that migrates over from HOS)

edit: Beach assault was a horrible map, the teams were often imballanced the wrong way, it would have worked perfectly if the teams were stacked 25%/75% defending / attacking. Also the idea of a banzai charge usually brings with it the connotation of jungle when you are already almost so close to your enemy you could urinate on them...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly wouldn't mind a co-op mode where the humans play as outnumbered but dug in US infantryman vs wave upon wave of Banzai-ing bots as long as it's difficult.

kinda like a killing floor esque gameplay, do we get to fight a boss monster at the end? :D

hehe, that is one thing I had not thought of, sounds like a good survival / timed survival map to me.. :)

Upvote 0
Maybe you can gather all your fellow cooperative team mates, and plan an attack yourself? It doesn't really need to be a feature, kinda pointless since nowadays a players instinct is to NOT DIE.

That's kinda why I was suggesting something to aide the players along in trying one of these. By themselves they will probably never even try one, with a bit of help it might become a possible tactic in the japanese arsenal.

Upvote 0
Some others were commenting that the commander sys in ROHOS has in previous implementations in other games been effective in making the team do as the commander orders. It will be nice to see during the beta if that proves true for ROHOS. If it does we might not need much more then some commands / framework and let the commander choose the time and place.

Upvote 0
Would be kinda irritating when you're lying in ambush just a few meters from your enemy.

The premise of the commander class is that it is being limited to people who are veterans and who are not complete retards. Were you to be in an organized formation working under your commander to sneak up to the enemy in hopes of an ambush, what would make him suddenly turn herpderp and blow the teams cover? There would also be some form of opting into the charge, either by agreeing somehow, or by actually getting up and running towards the enemy. I just have a hard time seeing that exact situation ever coming to existence.

That said, thanks for the info psycho Chicken, I look forward to seeing what you gents make of this in the end.

Upvote 0
This is going to be very hard to implimate...and I can see only 3 options ATM to make it work

1. Japanese Soldiers can take more damage (Of coarse headshots are still insta kill) to simulate fanatical adrenaline fueled Banzai charges

2. the Marines they are charging, their aim becomes slightly distorted to simulate the fear of a Banzai charge or

3. whoever as a Japanese soldier that doesn't charge commits suppuku out of shame for letting His Emperor and Regiment down.

it will be interesting to see what You guys come up with

Reactions: Blainy
Upvote 0