• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Built in game voice communciation?

I dont see how TWI can plan to make ROHOS the most immersive shooter wihtout taking it up an equal notch in VOIP tech.

The reason most people use an out of game com sys is that it is BETTER. It allows you to break off into squads/groups and communicate between squads, and inside that squad. Were a system like this to be added built into the game I could see lots of people using it instead of an out of game voip. I would make one small change to the suggestion of earlier posters.

- Commander can speak to his whole team (magic!), his squad leaders individually(radio), or to anyone near on 3d chat.
- Squad leaders can contact the commander(via radio), or speak to his squad(via 3d chat)
- everyone else speaks using 3d chat ONLY.

Upvote 0
TWI cared enough about voip in the mod to add the radio transmitter dial, so you know if you are actually submitting audio and can see how loud.

By default the ut2004 voip was horrible in my opinion but twi made it a bit better already, so I expect that twi will atleast think about how to make sure that you wont get 64 people singing in the same voip channel. And after all the talk about 3d sounds in the past I think twi will give us something nice.

Upvote 0
Local mic voice chat, but enemies in the area cannot hear.

Or as someone in the DH forums suggested, make the enemy hear Simlish. So they hear that someone is saying something but not exactly what they say.

Anyway, i like the concept where everyone hears the 3D voice. That way u can shout stuff to enemies behind a corner/take prisoners/etc... and if there is a room full of ppl speaking, well it doesnt make sense that enemy doesnt hear them if he is close by.

Even better, let the client choose if they transmit simlish-type speak or normal.

"Anyone in the building?"
"mnmnmnruskkienmnnn**#

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
Having enemies hear you when you use voice would discourage the use of the voice com system, that and in conjunction with a usage in clan gaming I'd still suggest to have local voice comms to not be heard by the enemy.

One reason why people use 3rd party voice in public is to be able to get the same thing you get with local voice, to be able to communicate with your friend as you stick together. Having enemies hear your voice comms will keep encouraging people to stay away from the native communication system, which results in worse teamplay in pub. We know this extremely well from playing RnL in pub, both you and I. The few times we sat on our 3rd party voice, we litteraly interacted less with the other players, but didn't really get any better teamwork between us two.

So for the sake of team-play, I hope we see a local voice com system that is not heard by the enemy at all.

Upvote 0
Or as someone in the DH forums suggested, make the enemy hear Simlish. So they hear that someone is saying something but not exactly what they say.

Anyway, i like the concept where everyone hears the 3D voice. That way u can shout stuff to enemies behind a corner/take prisoners/etc... and if there is a room full of ppl speaking, well it doesnt make sense that enemy doesnt hear them if he is close by.

Even better, let the client choose if they transmit simlish-type speak or normal.

"Anyone in the building?"
"mnmnmnruskkienmnnn**#

Upvote 0
People wont use 3rd party voice for pub as much if the native voice system is really useful =). It does as little sense that you can use the text chat to reach everyone, and that is why I suggest a more consistent system that has no flaw other than it does not try to reach out too long. But trying to reach out too long will result in other flaws, I just suggest the one that I feel does the game most good in general.

But ideally this would also by something you can set server side:
Relaxed realism => you cannot hear enemies when they use voice
Realistic mode => you can hear enemies when they use it, but cannot understand what they say.

Upvote 0
Having enemies hear you when you use voice would discourage the use of the voice com system, that and in conjunction with a usage in clan gaming I'd still suggest to have local voice comms to not be heard by the enemy.

One reason why people use 3rd party voice in public is to be able to get the same thing you get with local voice, to be able to communicate with your friend as you stick together. Having enemies hear your voice comms will keep encouraging people to stay away from the native communication system, which results in worse teamplay in pub. We know this extremely well from playing RnL in pub, both you and I. The few times we sat on our 3rd party voice, we litteraly interacted less with the other players, but didn't really get any better teamwork between us two.

So for the sake of team-play, I hope we see a local voice com system that is not heard by the enemy at all.

Every time ive played RNL I've had a blast with the 3d sound. both for coordinating my guys and taunting the enemies before I run through the house and kill em all :D.

I do agree that in many cases you should not be able to understand your enemy ( due to language difference between russian and german). I am definitely against the idea of just not hearing them, not being able to understand them sounds fair. IMO if the sounds are worked right players should be able to whisper if they are trying to sneak around and make a flank, every time your going to be yelling chances are the enemy already know where you are. This just lets the players have more control.

Upvote 0
To me it just eats away the immersion if you can't hear approaching enemy soldiers that are blabbering. They should know better to be silent when approaching known/possible enemy positions. And it takes away the voice interaction between u and enemy which able to take prisoners, taunt and fool enemies etc.
Imo voice communication with team mates and between enemy is big part of the immersion.

+ i like to hide behind a corners/doors in RnL and shout "BOO!" to incoming enemies and watch them twitch when they get spooked and then shoot them :D

Upvote 0
Yeah personally i dont want 3d sound just because people will be going 'boo' like a previous poster said, that wouldn't happen in real life and for game play purposes you need to hear people to coordinate properly, it's alot easier in real life to do that thru hand signals etc

I would like avatar in game sounds though that are localized and so i could bind a button for my avatar to shout out grenade to warn team mates in the area :IS2:

Upvote 0
I also don't like the vocal interaction between players, it just bring up the worst behavior in people...
Brings up an interesting point. In RO:OST one could theoretically mute anyone in the game they wanted (text and voice). I say theoretically because sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. When it worked it was a thing of beauty....

Hopefully, if there is VOIP in RO2, they can have a working version of this. Also, it would be nice if an admin could globally mute a player easily from console.

But VOIP between teams is helpful and fun. Lets not "throw out the baby with the bath water".

Upvote 0
I do agree with Snuffel that when players know that their voice is only heard by limited amount of ppl, it tends to bring out the worst in some ppl.

You don't hear such insults in RO that you hear in RnL and i bet the reason is that in RO you would have to announce ur insults via public channel to all players when in RnL only limited ppl hear this brain-vomit stuff.

+ playing music thru mic is so much more common in RnL than RO, I actually have never heard such in RO nor in DH.

Though u can still annoy ppl with voice comms even if you aren't on enemy team:

YouTube - RnL meets CS:S kiddy :)
YouTube - ****tard

Upvote 0