• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Veteran's Day

Can you imagine a greater service one person can do for another than taking a bullet for them? :IS2:

It really annoys me when people hate on soldiers over politics. Have a problem with the military? Maybe you should talk to those people you elected who give them orders. Regardless of the reasons the politicians had for sending them where they go, these individuals did it so you wouldn't have to.

Upvote 0
It really annoys me when people hate on soldiers over politics. Have a problem with the military? Maybe you should talk to those people you elected who give them orders. Regardless of the reasons the politicians had for sending them where they go, these individuals did it so you wouldn't have to.
+1

*Salute*
I hope all of them have found peace.

Upvote 0
Last night I was watching a show about Canadians, Storming Juno, and at the end when they were talking to the vets recalling those days, I suddenly welled up and was overcome with emotions as I watched these grown men weep.

The last words were one of these men saying he was filled with fear thinking, what am I doing here?, I don't have to be here,etc. and then they came across the first village they had liberated and at that moment there was no doubt in his mind why he was there.

He then said, "I mean really, how many times do think about your freedom, really, how often do you think about your freedom"
Again I was suddenly overwhelmed and wished I could reach through the television, look this man in the eye, shake this mans hand and say thank-you.

I cried.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And sadly it seems that many are confusing Veterans Day for Memorial Day. I can't speak for what the day means in other countries around the world, but since the OP title the thread Veterans Day (as opposed to Armistice Day or Remembrance Day) I'll assume its for the US holiday that celebrates the service of all veterans.

It falls upon the anniversay of the signing of the Armistice ending WWI and was originally to honor those fallen during WWI. However, in the US it was expanded in 1954 to include all veterans. Alive, kia, and deceased service personnel that served in the protection of our country.

Shame we had to denegrate the celebration and honor of our service men and woman with petty politics.

Upvote 0
It's a shame, but politics (that usually start off petty) is the reason soldiers are sent to die in war in the first place.

The same rhetoric, bravado and national pride that was used to get people to enlist in the first place is now used to celebrate their waste of life. Doesn't seem right to me.

I don't have a problem showing respect to soldiers who've gone to war in the past - but for modern soldiers and modern war - as an informed society, as a civilisation and as a species, we know better.
Over 150,000,000 people died during the 20th century as a result of armed conflict. The fact that they continue long after, for whatever reason, irks me greatly.

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." - Albert Einstein

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

EDITED: The source of Sheep's quote wasn't clear in the original post. I still disagree with it, but I do understand now that it wasn't necessarily Sheep's own original sentiment. What I originally wrote, I'll leave up, so you can all see that I was overreacting and being a jerk. Anyway, I should not have taken it quite so personally. Mea Culpa. -Pete

Since - being a veteran - I've apparently earned your personal contempt, please feel free to go and **** yourself.

In the meantime, while Sheep is cramming objects into his rectum, let's listen to some music. Sheep, given how far up there your head is shoved, you'll have to turn your speakers up louder, I think.

YouTube - And the band played Waltzing Mathilda

YouTube - Pogues & Steve Earle - Johnny Come Lately

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a rather long dissertation written in response (to SHEEPDIP), but in re-reading your post perhaps I took the meaning of your post wrong in my first read. So I'll make only some general comments.

I'll bring it to your attention a couple of things. Many men and women enlist during peace time. When duty and/or a deployment calls, they don't get to pick and choose their battles. The vast majority of the men I served with were drafted. They didn't volunteer. (And thank God for the women who did volunteer. Theirs was the first comforting face many a wounded soldier saw.)

Your assumption (or assertation) that "as an informed society, as a civilisation and as a species, we know better" is, well, obviously false. We do not know better. Looks good on paper, but it doesn't fly. Be nice if it did.

That said, I will continue to show my respect and admiration for those that put their lives on the line because their country calls. I am grateful that they are anchored enough in thier beliefs to put themselves in harms way for me.

Upvote 0
Since - being a veteran - I've apparently earned your personal contempt, please feel free to go and **** yourself.

It's something Einstein said, perhaps I should have written that after it.
And an extreme example of opinion to punctuate the point I was trying to make.
I'm sorry, I meant no personal offense.

Upvote 0

In the meantime, while Sheep is cramming objects into his rectum, let's listen to some music. Sheep, given how far up there your head is shoved, you'll have to turn your speakers up louder, I think.

You don't get the quote then, the important word in there is "Joyfull", Einstein was raging at people who have a hardon for war, and who would, without thinking, support anything that marches to a good beat.

So unless you feel the above describes you, which i'd wager you do not, then you overreacted, and quite a bit at that..

Upvote 0
Politics may be the reason for war, but it is an unfortunate reality of society. We can't stop living our lives and live in our own fantasy world. I despised authority, am against resorting to violence as a means of accomplishing an objective, and I understand that the government may not be the most innocent of organizations. Yet three months ago I enlisted in the United States Navy. Most of my friends have been taken by surprise and many who know me would never have imagined me in the military.

Well at twenty years old, I should be self-sufficient, mature, motivated and responsible. I am neither of those things. For the past couple of years, I let my world view influence my way of life and I became depressed over matters that are beyond my reach. I began losing interest in things I've always loved. Well it took withdrawing from college and becoming a leech to realize that I shouldn't let my own life decline simply because the world doesn't make sense. You could say that I don't need the military to gain discipline, but I'd rather have the privilege of serving as a Navy aircrewman any day rather than not fulfilling my true capacity. Already I feel changed for the better, and it has nothing to do with a desire to kill or be involved in the destruction that is war.

Upvote 0

My grandfather was drafted and served in the Russo-Finnish Continuation War. He never spoke about his experiences, so I know little of what he experienced and had to do to survive. But one thing I do know: he would've laughed in your pathetic face, you chest-thumping pissant, because your response was ludicrously overwrought and hostile. You give every veteran a bad name. Contemplate on that.

Upvote 0