• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Theory on inadaquate damage.

Gladius;n2305737 said:
I agree the system (whichever) needs some fine tuning. What annoys me the most are these situations where I pump an enemy full of bullets (like at two meters, keeping full auto on target and hearing hit sounds) and lose the duel to a headshot.

The difference between what is happening on my screen (client sided hit detection) and what the server finally decides to let happen feels too many times off.

Latency is latency. That situation will still happen regardless of what sort of hit detection it uses.

Unless of course you want the server to not ignore anyone's shots.

Which would mean one player dies to real bullets. And the second player would die to magic ghost bullets that he never saw or heard fired. Sudden brain aneurism.

Which is kinda besides the point anyway because this thread is about DAMAGE. Because that's what actually happening when you see people walking off shots. https://forums.tripwireinteractive....ssion-ag/2305503-odd-weapon-damage-statistics I mean look at this thread even. More evidence to support it.

When it "was" hit detection you would paint a wall with blood hitting them 15 times in 3 seconds, and they wouldn't even notice. They sure as hell notice now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2305753 said:
Latency is latency. That situation will still happen regardless of what sort of hit detection it uses.
Dunno, in other games I dont get those "this is bs" moments that frequently. Today I jumped in a trench in Cu Chi delta cap, ran into a tunnel and died there from a shot that had hit me outside on the surface. Other games seem more precise in this kind of synchronisation. Besides this phenomenon I believer there might be several issues that cumulate to these "bs moments". Sight misalignment might be another one. And if you are correct then that damage bug. I think we can agree that the game needs some more fine tuning.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2305760 said:
Dunno, in other games I dont get those "this is bs" moments that frequently. Today I jumped in a trench in Cu Chi delta cap, ran into a tunnel and died there from a shot that had hit me outside on the surface. Other games seem more precise in this kind of synchronisation. Besides this phenomenon I believer there might be several issues that cumulate to these "bs moments". Sight misalignment might be another one. And if you are correct then that damage bug. I think we can agree that the game needs some more fine tuning.

Thats a different example and yes you're correct.

But imagine being that other guy and it was serverside. He would have 100% shot you. But the server said no. Would be extremely unsatisfying.

Most serverside games also use hitscan as well.

Clientside benefits the shooter. Serverside benefits the guy getting shot at.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying I want server sided hit detection. I'm well aware that this is worse. I'm playing KF1 which has that server sided. This means you need to adjust your point of aim/timings to your latency. And the amount of adjustment varies with your ping. It is very difficult to get really used to that.

I'm saying that there are games that have a less sloppy client sided hit detection. Even RO2 does that better. I'm not an expert on the technical aspects of this. Probably it has to do how the server handles lag compensation between players. It feels to me that the "buffer zone" is too wide.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2305779 said:
I'm not saying I want server sided hit detection. I'm well aware that this is worse. I'm playing KF1 which has that server sided. This means you need to adjust your point of aim/timings to your latency. And the amount of adjustment varies with your ping. It is very difficult to get really used to that.

I'm saying that there are games that have a less sloppy client sided hit detection. Even RO2 does that better. I'm not an expert on the technical aspects of this. Probably it has to do how the server handles lag compensation between players. It feels to me that the "buffer zone" is too wide.

They've fixed it.

it is the same as RO2.

Literally everything you've mentioned happens in RO2 to this day.

The big difference between the two games is the damage system. In RO2 you had 100 HP and rifles did 115 damage. Get shot = dead.
In RS2 it's more complicated than that. Projectile speed, calibre, mass, angle of impact, more precise hitboxes, over penetration, removal of slow deaths. A whole host
of things that change how people take damage. How a death is determined.

In this game if you hit someone and they don't die they are fully capable of returning fire. Same
as in RO2. Difference is likelyhood of death was far higher.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I have to say about inadequate damage is: take the m60 for a spin (USA machine gun) and see if you aren't frustrated after an hour. That thing shoots huge bullets, but does damage like it's a SMG.

Also could use a suppression buff. If you have that thing pointed anywhere near you, it should be pants-shitting time. Instead you must drop like 30 bullets to have a large impact...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2305345 said:
That's getting shot in the leg. Lower leg I might add. There's critical area's on the thighs that cause bleeding. Below that it won't.

"Bleeding" in this game is anything that's going to kill you eventually. Anything life threatening.

And yeah Kaleun's right with the bullets disappear on death thing. Client sided game.
I have had a few times where It seemed I was shot in the back or chest area where it did not register. I was standing on B radio building by the commander radio area and an RPD guy jumped through the window of the building and lit me up. There was no way he did not hit me yet I ended up just standing in shock and for some reason, he ran off and I killed him. I think he thought I was dead. I should have been dead no logical reason I would be alive those rounds hit me and a lot. This just happened a few days ago

Last edited:
Upvote 0