• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Theory on inadaquate damage.

Lemonater47

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
So we still run into instances where you hit someone in the chest with an M14 or something similar and they walk it off.

Were they hit? Yes.
Did they know they got hit? Yes.
They have to bandage most of the time.
Being on the receiving end I have been hit a lot of times by bullets or walked into a mosin, took a hit and killed the other guy.

All too often.

Strangely enough about as often as Slow deaths happened in RO2.

I was poking around the code and saw that there's two area's which trigger those one of them being the chest. The slow dying has been disabled by simply Commenting out certain parts of it. Not even all of it is disabled.

So maybe just maybe. It's trying to trigger these slow deaths but can't. Resulting in the player surviving the bullet.

Just a Theory. But I bet you are all wondering why this is happening as well. The damage looks fine. It's not hit detection. But people still don't die when they 100% should sometimes.

One more question. Has it ever happen to you, that you killed someone with each other? It has not happened to me yet. (Except for grenades and grenade launcher)

This is still happening to me. Before I die, I manage to pull the trigger one-twice (M16 is 6 bullets? ). Direct hit, hear sound of weapon. I think - he's dead, I got him.
The enemy kills me and continues unharmed. (I know this is probably because the enemy killed me earlier by server time.)
Or I hear that I fired from a grenade launcher, but I do not hear that a shot has landed somewhere. Where did those bullets disappear?

And the second thing that if I meet someone with a close fight, i got micro stuttering and freezing, making aiming more difficult. As almost always. (older [email protected], 80-130 fps, optic cable internet) :-/ Does this happen to anyone?

Upvote 0
starfish trooper;n2305338 said:
Also what is up with those instances where you get hit, you hear you character grunt and you slow down for a few seconds but no need to bandage?
feels more like an action movie and less realistic

That's getting shot in the leg. Lower leg I might add. There's critical area's on the thighs that cause bleeding. Below that it won't.

"Bleeding" in this game is anything that's going to kill you eventually. Anything life threatening.

And yeah Kaleun's right with the bullets dissapear on death thing. Clientsided game.

Upvote 0
kuracino;n2305339 said:
One more question. Has it ever happen to you, that you killed someone with each other? It has not happened to me yet. (Except for grenades and grenade launcher)

This is still happening to me. Before I die, I manage to pull the trigger one-twice (M16 is 6 bullets? ). Direct hit, hear sound of weapon. I think - he's dead, I got him.
The enemy kills me and continues unharmed. (I know this is probably because the enemy killed me earlier by server time.)
Or I hear that I fired from a grenade launcher, but I do not hear that a shot has landed somewhere. Where did those bullets disappear?

And the second thing that if I meet someone with a close fight, i got micro stuttering and freezing, making aiming more difficult. As almost always. (older [email protected], 80-130 fps, optic cable internet) :-/ Does this happen to anyone?

ive noticed that a lot too. you hear your gun fire with sights directly on a foe, but he gets you and is unscathed. I've had this happen a lot with a shotgun aimed directly at another player around 10-15 yards and nothing.

Upvote 0
Moment you die your bullets disappears. Clientsided game. ???

You mean, they can not program that if you die in the game, the client would still send the last fired bullets. The question is, how would this look on the servers with the s.hitty pings that they are there now? Would there be an increase in death behind the corner?

Upvote 0
kuracino;n2305372 said:
Moment you die your bullets disappears. Clientsided game. ???

You mean, they can not program that if you die in the game, the client would still send the last fired bullets. The question is, how would this look on the servers with the s.hitty pings that they are there now? Would there be an increase in death behind the corner?

Worse your ping is the more bull**** moments like that you'll run into. Or cause for other people.

Also you can't fire your gun when you are dead. So anything you fired on your screen after you were already dead on the other guys screen won't count.

Upvote 0
kuracino;n2305376 said:
"So anything you fired on your screen after you were already dead"

So how can I do something, when I'm already dead? When I'm dead, I want to be dead. And do not run the map like a ghost and shoot imaginary ghost ammo. :D

Exactly what happens when you go round a corner, fire 6 rounds into someone, die and not do a thing to them.

Because you never actually fired those 6 rounds.

Upvote 0
I think its not OK go round a corner, fire 6 rounds into someone, die and not do a thing to them.

Lemonater47 please write to us, that this is absolutely okay and there is nothing to worry about. That the developers know about this problem and do not want to fix anything. That if I do not like it, that I should not play RS2.

Upvote 0
"Peekers advantage" is a common phenomenon in shooter games. That's not something special that only occurs in RS2. It can be abused especially by people with a high ping. This means the player with the high ping can go around the corner and kill someone, before the victim can do anything about it.

Upvote 0
kuracino;n2305379 said:
I think its not OK go round a corner, fire 6 rounds into someone, die and not do a thing to them.

Lemonater47 please write to us, that this is absolutely okay and there is nothing to worry about. That the developers know about this problem and do not want to fix anything. That if I do not like it, that I should not play RS2.

You just said it is ok. When you said "when I'm dead I want to be dead". You don't want any ghost shots.

Those 6 shots you fired After you were dead. You weren't dead on your screen. But you were dead on the other guys screen. He shot first. Because of lag.

So either you both die because ghost shots.

Or one of you dies and it makes it so whatever you did after you "died" never happened.

Happens in loads of games.

Upvote 0
Did someone try server side hit detection on a full 64 server? I wonder how much it would increase the server load.. but it might be a good thing to use if that doesn't need a NASA computer to run the server with that server side hit detection. I prefer to have to lead my shot if I HAVE a big ping, rather than having all these non sense situations that occur currently. If someone enables it on a popular server let us know to test ;)

Upvote 0
omano;n2305641 said:
Did someone try server side hit detection on a full 64 server? I wonder how much it would increase the server load.. but it might be a good thing to use if that doesn't need a NASA computer to run the server with that server side hit detection. I prefer to have to lead my shot if I HAVE a big ping, rather than having all these non sense situations that occur currently. If someone enables it on a popular server let us know to test ;)

They're actually getting rid of serverside hit detection. Because servers that did use it (yes there were random servers that did) were really laggy. It ain't good.

Upvote 0
Bad... For sure there is a problem for me in the fights, that just most of the time don't feel right at all with too much non sense situation where you should have had the upper hand and won, but something else happened (got killed when behind cover, your bullets doing nothing then you die, things like that). Hope they refine the system because it is not good enough now. It works, yes, but there are too much time on the TeamSpeak when people complain and rage about weird unexplainable situation.

If you compare it to RO 2 which also had client side detection, RO 2 always hit when you should, and you rarely/never died in impossible situations (behind perfect cover...). In RS 2 you feel like people are bullet sponges, and you always have lag when you shoot.

Reactions: kuracino
Upvote 0
omano;n2305646 said:
Bad... For sure there is a problem for me in the fights, that just most of the time don't feel right at all with too much non sense situation where you should have had the upper hand and won, but something else happened (got killed when behind cover, your bullets doing nothing then you die, things like that). Hope they refine the system because it is not good enough now.
I agree the system (whichever) needs some fine tuning. What annoys me the most are these situations where I pump an enemy full of bullets (like at two meters, keeping full auto on target and hearing hit sounds) and lose the duel to a headshot.

The difference between what is happening on my screen (client sided hit detection) and what the server finally decides to let happen feels too many times off.

Upvote 0