• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics MG deploy, why it hates me and doesn't want to deploy.

Tontoman

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2007
More of a game mechanics question other than tactics but just what are the quirks of deploying the MG and anyway to reduce them.

You know the problem, MG not deploying on a surface you KNOW works (as you've done it there before) but it just won't do it. After four attempts deploying, the guy who has shot at you three times already finally gets you, probably thinking you're a loser as the same time too ;P.

Flat ground is fine, sandbags can be a pain, window sills iffy, uneven ground iffy. Sometimes looking more up or down when you deploy helps but haven't really worked anything out. ???

Also on uneven ground deployments, sometimes your MG fire still lines up nicely with the sites, othertimes it's way off to the left or right (which would make sense), but whether it does or not, doesn't seem to match up with the ground you're one. I have had perfectly sited shots while deployed on slanted ground and way off shots on mostly level. ???

Thanks
T.

Yeah I use that to peek over, I think the sandbags were height designed usually to cover if you're crouched but low enough to peek over when doing iron sites.

And yep, waiting for the symbol works well, thanks again Mr Moe :). Getting the symbol to pop up takes time still, but not nearly as bad as having to go through the animation each time when when the deploy doesn't work.

T.

Upvote 0
One thing that annoys me to no end is picking up an MG from a fallen soldier only to find there are no more spare barrels, and the gun simply won't fire. While there is some tactical advantage to changing out barrels everytime it starts to cause visibility issues, it very quickly limits the lifespan of that MG. It's a trade-off, but being unable to fire because there are no more barrels is just ridiculous.

Upvote 0
MGdeploy.jpg

Upvote 0
grphiw: If you are not a MG class in the first place you will not have a spare barrel. It should not limit the fire span of any MG. Short, accurate controlled bursts is what is important. For sustained area fire the german MG's are the best since they can change barrels.

As for finding a rest for the MG I think it is great to have that icon in the game. It makes things realistic in terms of actually setting up a MG to fire.

Upvote 0
In my experience the MG42 is the hardest to deploy. The others can be hip fired, and I seem to be able to deploy in more locations, with greater ease while in the hip fire mode, just wait for the icon and hit deploy.

I can even deploy on door jams and the sides of walls while standing and crouching.

Tip: if you are standing/crouching you can sprint away almost instantly, making it hard to kill you with all but the most well-primed nades. :cool:

Upvote 0
I can't believe no one has figured this out yet! (or at least that no one has mentioned it in this topic!)

When you're firing with a rifle over sandbags or windows, when does the 'gun rest' icon come up? When your aim is just a taaad bit over the highest edge of that window sill or sandbag, right?

With MG deployment, imagine a dot on the center of the screen. Even if the sandbag or window sill is above your head, simply tilt up and move that imaginary dot so it's just above the top of that sill or bag. Then you get the icon, and you can deploy.

It will automatically raise you to the correct height, and aim you to the horizon (but you still have to adjust your initial left/right aim).

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
I can't believe no one has figured this out yet! (or at least that no one has mentioned it in this topic!)

When you're firing with a rifle over sandbags or windows, when does the 'gun rest' icon come up? When your aim is just a taaad bit over the highest edge of that window sill or sandbag, right?

With MG deployment, imagine a dot on the center of the screen. Even if the sandbag or window sill is above your head, simply tilt up and move that imaginary dot so it's just above the top of that sill or bag. Then you get the icon, and you can deploy.

It will automatically raise you to the correct height, and aim you to the horizon (but you still have to adjust your initial left/right aim).

Hope that helps!

Exactly, just aim higher than you think and always look for the rest icon, it's what allows you to deploy if you're not prone already.

Sometimes the rest icon only appears for one tiny spot, and it's hard to find, you move your mouse around and scan for it. But if you deploy MG at that tiny spot, you're in business.

Upvote 0

Hope that helps!

Careful with that though. When I use that method I always give a little test burst once I'm setup to see if I'm clear. Forcing the deploy, for lack of a better word, has sometimes given me a setup where I look clear, but I'm clipping into the sandbags/wall. Then when you go to fire all your shots get instantly stopped. Not nice to discover when you're being charged by a mob of guys :eek:

Nice to see MG users keeping the thread alive :p

T.

Upvote 0