• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reopening the Red Orchestra 2 Beta

Oh the irony.

Few days ago everyone was bashing TW, now they appreciate them for releasing a patch. But that's good, just shows how wrong those people are! :p

That's not irony.

That's people complaining about a game being released in a shoddy state and the developer reacting and making improvements so they don't lose their remaining customer base. As things should be.

People weren't saying TWI suck and nothing they can ever do will fix things.

People were saying TWI can do good but what we have here isn't good so I hope they improve it. Now they've improved it a lot of people who were unhappy, are much happier, such as myself.

Isn't it ironic. Don't you think?

Reactions: lods of emone
Upvote 0
did you just quote alanis morisette?

Jack I was in that server with you and yes, it does feel good!
The new suppression effect is great, reminded me a lot of darkest hour.
Also the new map is killer, was getting 150m kills regularly and the trench combat is intense. Felt like Ro1 with it's combination of scale and atmosphere.
The lockdown system is much improved and as is bandaging.
Nice work TWI

Upvote 0
That's not irony.

That's people complaining about a game being released in a shoddy state and the developer reacting and making improvements so they don't lose their remaining customer base. As things should be.

People weren't saying TWI suck and nothing they can ever do will fix things.

People were saying TWI can do good but what we have here isn't good so I hope they improve it. Now they've improved it a lot of people who were unhappy, are much happier, such as myself.

Isn't it ironic. Don't you think?

Actually, its not WHAT they said.... its HOW they said it.

Respectful, constructive criticism is always acceptable.

Sarcastic, insulting barbs, threats and demands are of course, totally unacceptable.

Upvote 0
Everything I've played thus far in the beta has been GREAT.

I love that Ramm made the change to the G41 scope, it's not actually useable!

Buuuuuuttt..
I still propose that you need to work on the networking for shots.

Go with client-side.

You can use spatial hashing (Dividing the game-space into squares) then check if the shot is actually within the square/s that the player is also located in, this would prevent some cheating.

You could also have a client that's on the receiving end of a shot, detect whether or not at the same from that trajectory if there's anything blocking its path. This will prevent the "dying behind cover" <- Although I don't agree with this method as you DIDN'T die behind cover, you WERE shot while in the open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything I've played thus far in the beta has been GREAT.

I love that Ramm made the change to the G41 scope, it's not actually useable!

Buuuuuuttt..
I still propose that you need to work on the networking for shots.

Either go with client-side.

Or use time-snapshots to compensate for ping, I will explain this in further detail if you've not heard of it before.

If Tripwire just implemented the antilag mutator as the standard code then all the hard work has already been done for them. I'm sure Mek wouldn't mind he seems like a nice guy. :)

Upvote 0
If Tripwire just implemented the antilag mutator as the standard code then all the hard work has already been done for them. I'm sure Mek wouldn't mind he seems like a nice guy. :)

Yeah, but does his code calculate whether or not a shot is possible?

Meaning someone with experience could just send constant packets with each players identification number of their actors saying "DIS GUY IZ DED".

A native implementation of this would be much faster (Assuming that unreal script isn't compiled to byte code, I have NO idea how unreal engine works).

Although Ramm is correct in saying that any ping below 50 is fine, but this is rarely the case with RO players :\

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Meaning someone with experience could just send constant packets with each players identification number of their actors saying "DIS GUY IZ DED".

A native implementation of this would be much faster (Assuming that unreal script isn't compiled to byte code, I have NO idea how unreal engine works).

Although Ramm is correct in saying that any ping below 50 is fine, but this is rarely the case with RO players :\

It's basically a virtual machine that runs byte code (compiled unreal script), core is native of course.

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, with Mekhazzio's client-side detection mutator white-listed, there's no reason for servers that want to use it not to run it, and furthermore really no reason for TWI to have to include it with the vanilla game. It's effectively already an option in the game. That's the whole idea of a whitelist.

The whitelist probably doesn't apply to the beta, I presume (because in testing new features, mutators muddle the picture?). It would be nice for me to see how the new map plays with client-side detection, because I don't seem to have a good connection to the one test server I see. That said, I was able to get Marksman Gold on the map with vanilla. So Mekh's mutator will probably make the new map quite deadly. I'm already afraid to run in the open, so I can well imagine what it will be like with no need to lead for ping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i think it would be easier for you to read about the mutator in the thread about it. then if you still have questions, you can ask the guy who made it.
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76057[/URL]

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, with Mekhazzio's client-side detection mutator white-listed, there's no reason for servers that want to use it not to run it, and furthermore really no reason for TWI to have to include it with the vanilla game. It's effectively already an option in the game. That's the whole idea of a whitelist.

The whitelist probably doesn't apply to the beta, I presume (because in testing new features, mutators muddle the picture?). It would be nice for me to see how the new map plays with client-side detection, because I don't seem to have a good connection to the one test server I see. That said, I was able to get Marksman Gold on the map with vanilla. So Mekh's mutator will probably make the new map quite deadly. I'm already afraid to run in the open, so I can well imagine what it will be like with no need to lead for ping.

Yes but at the moment there are a few things lacking.

1: Inventory system is bugged, so his client-side mutator causes glitches in weapon switch.

2: Native implementation, this would speed things up.

3: A mutation indicator on servers, it's impossible to know whether or not a server is running a particular mutator UNLESS they state it, they could also state they have this mutator running when they do not.

Upvote 0

1: Inventory system is bugged, so his client-side mutator causes glitches in weapon switch.

3: A mutation indicator on servers, it's impossible to know whether or not a server is running a particular mutator UNLESS they state it, they could also state they have this mutator running when they do not.
#1 has noting at all to do with the mutator. wrepons and smoke problems were there since the last patch and happen just as often on servers without it.
#2 not sure what you mean by "native implementation".
#3 i totally agree! there should be an icon on the left of the server selection screen with the rest that show what the server offers. but that's twi's deal, as to whether they make one or not. they're still looking into the mutator. we might just find that all servers have to have it soon. then there woiuld be no need for a special icon. we just do not know what twi plans yet.

Upvote 0

Ok, these are some good points, and I can agree native implementation potentially streamlines things a bit (and maybe in some areas would slow them down!), but maybe that means TWI should be more picky with the state of what they whitelist, I don't know. They could've told Mekhazzio, "we'll whitelist this when xyz issues are ironed out". Mekhazzio's mutator is essentially brilliant, but it does appear to still have a couple problems, including potential stability issues though admittedly I still haven't had a crash with it (knock on wood-fiber board). And maybe Tripwire could work with him to fix any inventory issues caused by the mutator. Also, if there were native implementation I really think it should still be optional.

#3 is key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0