• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RSTE-Kobura

Upvote 0
Thank you for all the lovely comments, they're very motivating

Peumobil, I'm still trying to work out how you ended up there! Did you manage to bypass the map bounds/'out of combat' volume somehow?

If you happen to find any more locations like that please let me know, it would of great help!

Many thanks

Will

Upvote 0
Hi Shadowwill,
Just had a chance to run through it 4X on the RGN server. I love the look and the lighting! It seemed to run just fine on my crappy video card. I didn't check the FPS but it didn't stutter or act sh**ty. The fog level seemed just right. It felt very humid.

Here were a few of my thoughts:
I played all rounds as an Allied rifleman. There were about 8 or 9 players per team at the time.

Spawn protection for the Axis seemed a bit large. I didn't have enough time to get back to Allied lines after the Axis capped its objectives. This happened on Objectives A & B for sure and on others as well. Maybe make spawn protection smaller or lengthen the time by a few seconds.

The walk from the Allied spawns seemed a bit excessive when compared to how quickly the Axis captured their objectives. This may be due to the amount of impassable terrain and other obstacles or server settings as I think the RGN server has Classic running/sprinting speed; or our team just sucked ;)

It seemed that the Axis had an advantage in general

Obj, F: The objective indicator was still flashing and spawn protection for that objective was already enabled, prevented me from continuing to attack it.

When the Allies have to fall back due to spawn protection, they fall back into areas without much cover. This makes it very difficult to mount a fighting retreat. Trying to fall back to the next objective usually results in getting shot in the back. This is exacerbated by the run/sprint limitations in Classic mode. On many occasions, the spawn protection area made it so I had to keep running and couldn't stop to fight back. Again, this was exacerbated by the server run/sprint settings.

I didn't write down the coordinate, but there was a place where the avatar was completely under water and still firing. The guy whose avatar it was said that his POV placed him just waist deep but he looked COMPLETELY underwater. The water even moved when he fired.

Re-spawn time could maybe be shortened for the Allies.

At approximately E-5, I think it's the building with the radio, I got stuck to the walls and couldn't control my character. This went away as soon as the TL used the radio. I doubt they're related but that's how it played out. I also tried standing, crouching, going prone, stabbing with bayonet and reloading to get un-stuck so any combination of these things may have actually worked.

Good points:
It's freaking beautiful!
Lost of unexpected places for the enemy to turn up. It makes the map scary, which I love!
Great use of vegetation!
Very original
Great use of stock assets to make something very cool.
All of the water looks incredible!

The bad stuff:
I felt like the map was a combination of small choke points (caused by limited view) followed by wide flanks. This is a hard map to be the defender on until you get to Obj. E. Obj. E was easier to hold than the others, in my limited experience.

I got lost a lot and things like the cliffs/rocks made it hard to find my way to the cap. zones, but I've noticed this on many of the RS maps. I blame my limited experience and not the map design.

I felt like there wasn't much of a fight for the temple. I'm not sure what could be done to make this different.

I'll add to this as I play it more. Great job, overall!

Upvote 0
Hi Catalavos, thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I'm glad to hear you get good performance running it, I had worried that it would run poorly for some.

I agree with you on the size of the spawn protection, I played it earlier on the Cruicible as Allies and the volumes were rather big and like you said, it doesn't give the allies much of a chance to fight whilst they fall back. I'll shrink the sizes of the spawn protection volumes and see how that works out.

As for travel times to cap zones as Allies, these will also need some more work. After playing the first alpha version, I pushed most of the allies spawns further back but I may have over done it in places, there are a lot of obstacles to navigate as well as water that slows the players down. I'll go through them all and make sure they are even throughout.

I'm not sure about the objective icon winking on F, I'll have to keep an eye out for that and see if I've messed something up somewhere.

I had a look for locations where people could get completely under water, I found a few area's where it was possible and lowered the depth, hopefully I found the area you saw this happening.

Where you were stuck it might have been due to dodgy cover nodes, that's happened to me a fair few times. I'll spend an afternoon going around and making sure they all behave properly.

What you mention about the map feeling like a combination of choke points and wide flanks, I have also been concerned about. This is particularly noticeable around the ruins cap, I wish I had noticed this sooner so I could have done something about it a long time ago. In a way I wanted to avoid too many large open spaces, but by doing so I think I've simply created more problems. I imagine it would be even more noticeable or problematic on a full server, we'll have to see what happens. Also navigating around large rock formations can be confusing and annoying, I may have to shrink some of them down. As for the ruins/temple cap, I'd really like that area to see a fair bit of fighting. I had intended to make C (Ruins approach) recappable, which is why I added a second allied spawn down in the river. However due to issues I faced with spawns not disabling properly I had to remove that for the time being. We'll have to see what happens with that too.

Thank you again for your feedback, I really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts

Upvote 0
Catalavos was right on the money as far as what happens when you have to flee the capped zone. everyone ends up getting shot in the back trying to avoid the red screen of death. the fact that there's so many obstacles makes it worse. I don't mean to say remove the obstacles, but increase the time limit for escape and make the death zone much smaller. the attackers should not have a clear shot at the next objective without fear of some surviving enemies killing them as they stormtroop to the next objective. i'm still in favor of the "I was in the cap when it fell. now clear me out or i'll shoot you in the back" philosophy. not, "****! I gotta run for my life! the kill timer's started!" it happened to me in every cap zone today on the RGN custom server. and I was the one getting shot as I ran for my life. :(

either way, this might be the most visually stimulating map I've seen yet. I almost wish you'd hang onto it, so TWI couldn't change it.

Upvote 0
Played the map yesterday for 20 min or so and mostly bots. Will have to play more to give relevant feedback, but in general i liked the feel and atmosphere of the map.

An offtopic question:

The map downloaded when i joined a server that had it running, but the map is not listed in workshop maps in the game nor can i find it in any RO folder.
Where are the files stored when they are downloaded directly from the server ? I downloaded the same way Kaukasus and Odessa maps and a couple others and those also don't appear in any folder or in the games list of maps.

Thank you

Upvote 0
I tried this today because I was hungry for custom maps, it turned out I was all alone, but this looks fantastic, and I hope I can find it with some players real soon. Can't give any more feedback for now, because I just jogged through it alone, but I was gob-smacked how good it looks and thinking about the possibilities it offers.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone

I'm releasing another version of Kobura today, the final one before a beta release next week. I'd like to release this today to get some final testing in and make sure everything works as it should.

Main changes include:

Smaller spawn protection volumes for the Japanese
Additional spawn locations for some objectives
New locations for some spawns
Adjusted some cap zone volumes
Large blocking volume pass
Improved AI pathing
A more thorough cover node pass
Colour correction added
Fixed splash decals not rendering properly on water surfaces
Fixed odd lighting in the tunnels
Fixed several floating objects
Fixed inability to place booby traps
Increased round time by a few minutes
Increased force respawn interval
Replaced old ruined wall sections with new ones, you no longer get caught on them now
Added several new props such as a new hut, outhouses, shelters and hut furniture
Detailed hut interiors and exteriors
Added alcoves and pillars to the Ruins tunnels for additional cover
Optimisations
Fixed noticeable clipping of dust/smoke particles when they would intersect other objects around the Ruins

+many other smaller tweaks and additions

What's to come:

Final overhead map
Further optimisations
More thorough blocking volume pass
Further details
Changes based on future feedback

Notable issues:
A Japanese spawn for the third objective doesn't work correctly, this is fixed for the next version
Some cover nodes still behave oddly

Download (Includes server file):

Many thanks to the Rising Storm testers for their feedback, and as always The Wild Bunch for their support and feedback.

Please let me know if you come across any issues or have any feedback or criticism, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually got to see all the caps for the first time today(usually attack stalls at D or E).
Visually probably the best looking map ive seen, with some interesting features in it.
The caps are good sizes and the balance seems about right,although we need a few more full server tests.
The server was full and allies won with about 6 minutes to go,but we had quite a good team so maybe its about right.

Upvote 0