• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What the community is up to - Vehicles ;)

I remember seeing a Sd.Kfz. 251 a while back in the thread, and I was just wondering on how many seats will it have? (Including driver and MG-gunner)
As it would be nice to know how large I can make my Panzergrenadier Gruppen.

I realize it's not a priority vehicle, but still looking forward to it the most.

Transports are top on the list for us. We are planning on introducing several variants of the 251, and the non-transport version 251/16 will follow at a later stage.

The 251/1 will most likely (depending on coding and animation) accommodate nine soldiers: driver, co-driver, gunner, six passengers.

The 251/6 and 251/7 will most likely have a capacity of seven.

Upvote 0
Transports are top on the list for us. We are planning on introducing several variants of the 251, and the non-transport version 251/16 will follow at a later stage.

The 251/1 will most likely (depending on coding and animation) accommodate nine soldiers: driver, co-driver, gunner, six passengers.

Fantastic! makes things a lot easier to plan out for me, thank you.

Upvote 0
Can we have the halftracks with the flamethrower and the one with the rockets?

They are already working on thoose two. Siegertyp mentions the Sd.Kfz. 251/6 which the flamethrower one, and a while back in the thread there is talks of the 251/1 II with the rockts (No clue how far back, but quite far..)

And Gimpy117 that is an old discussion, and they even asked folks to stop talking about as stated in the very quote you included.

Upvote 0
They are already working on thoose two. Siegertyp mentions the Sd.Kfz. 251/6 which the flamethrower one, and a while back in the thread there is talks of the 251/1 II with the rockts (No clue how far back, but quite far..)

And Gimpy117 that is an old discussion, and they even asked folks to stop talking about as stated in the very quote you included.

Probably a typo but the 251/16 was the flamethrower. Not to nitpick.

Upvote 0
I have a question and its related to others topics and conversations out there.

Somewhere it was stated that it takes TWI around 6 months to create a vehicle, interior and exterior with code for animations etc. Now, if that is working full time to do that, how long do you 'estimate' it takes a member of the modding community to create a vehicle from start to finish considering they probably have to plan around work and/or school?

Upvote 0

Somewhere it was stated that it takes TWI around 6 months to create a vehicle, interior and exterior with code for animations etc. Now, if that is working full time to do that, how long do you 'estimate' it takes a member of the modding community to create a vehicle from start to finish considering they probably have to plan around work and/or school?

I think these 6 months were for the entire tanksystem in RO2.

For creating a vehicle you need to keep in mind that we have many steps, which in most cases can't be done by a single person.

1. Research
- collecting photos, blue prints of the exterior and interior
2. Creating the model
- exterior and interior need to be created
3. UV mapping the model
- for the upcoming texture process we need a UV map
4. Texturing
- for texturing a vehicle you need many different maps (diffuse, specular, normal, more)
5. Rigging the model
- the model needs bones for the further process
6. Animating
- the vehicle needs animations, additional animations for the crew are needed as well
7. Code
- the vehicle can be added to the game now and gets scripted
8. Testing
9. Improving
10. Testing
.... and so on

You see, for getting a functional vehicle there is much to do.

Also keep in mind that the time changes for every vehicle and it's also different for each modeler and so on.

Best regards,
Blitzkrieg-Bob

Upvote 0

I can say that the Rigging+Unreal Pullover+Anim+Crew anim+Script, around 1.5/2 months, but the "replication" and other Unreal Sabotage... Is making you hate yourself :p. So yeah, in RO1, i needed 24 hours for that...

Upvote 0
If i remember rightly they were testing the universal carrier not long ago,but with people shouting out about enter/exit animations it all seemed to go quiet.
I'm guessing we will see stuff happening about the same time as RS is released, when TWI have some time to lend a hand maybe.

I wish I had more time to get into designing vehicles/weapons. It's frustrating that a lot of these things seem to take longer to build on PC, then in real life. :)

I'm hoping your sentiment is right. Another hope is that the flamethrower and tommy gun (i believe there is a tommy gun in RS) could be crossed over to HOS.

I'm not really sure why infantry weapons don't ever get developed.

Upvote 0
I think these 6 months were for the entire tanksystem in RO2.

For creating a vehicle you need to keep in mind that we have many steps, which in most cases can't be done by a single person.

1. Research
- collecting photos, blue prints of the exterior and interior
2. Creating the model
- exterior and interior need to be created
3. UV mapping the model
- for the upcoming texture process we need a UV map
4. Texturing
- for texturing a vehicle you need many different maps (diffuse, specular, normal, more)
5. Rigging the model
- the model needs bones for the further process
6. Animating
- the vehicle needs animations, additional animations for the crew are needed as well
7. Code
- the vehicle can be added to the game now and gets scripted
8. Testing
9. Improving
10. Testing
.... and so on

You see, for getting a functional vehicle there is much to do.

Also keep in mind that the time changes for every vehicle and it's also different for each modeler and so on.

Best regards,
Blitzkrieg-Bob

Thanks for the info on all that. I was aware it was a lengthy process.

It just made me wonder (for right or wrong) how a mod team, most likely working part time, would be able to pull off so ambitious a project when TWI hasn't even been able to release the next two vehicles in over 1 1/2 years. If you read into that correctly, I'm more wondering why its taking TWI so long, not questioning your mod team's time or comittment :D

Looking forward to more news on your projects!

Upvote 0