• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

@Thaelyn
There were no unlock abominations, magical stat jumps and now bot farming in beta & it took quite some time to realize how tunnelish and small the maps are.
When I started playing RO2 I played it more like RO1, only after I got a hero PPSH/MKB on station & tried playing it like BC2, w/o leaving my finger off W and pwning so much more than when playing carefully I understood what ive bought.

Nader's excuses are the same as DICE's when people get angry about the features and some of the complexity that was in BF2 and got cut out in BC2 and somewhat BF3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not to say that RO2 wasn't going to take a hit when BF3 came out, but losing half of their player base is embarrassing. If people who bought this game really enjoyed it, they wouldn't drop it completely to play BF3. It's not like gamers have to choose between one or the other; they're both installed and you can easily switch between them.

Also, the peak player count is a little misleading for anyone who read this and was thinking about getting back in. I looked through the servers last night at about 10 PM and found a whopping five servers with any significant amount of players. The rest of them had less than ten players. I'd like to know when the "peak hours" are because that doesn't even come close to 1,500.

I'd like to hear Tripwire admit that the drop in player count was their own fault, not Battlefield 3's. It's been out for over a week now, the honeymoon is over. If people were going to come back to RO2 I think we'd see the servers filling up by now.

I'd like to be more optimistic, but the fact is BF3 is still small potatoes compared to the next one that's coming out. I'd be surprised if MW3's launch doesn't kill this game entirely.

Upvote 0
It's definitely an RO game (punishing difficulty, realistic weapon handling, lots of attention to detail and authenticity in everything from the level design to the uniforms to the guns, etc.), but the gameplay has evolved and moved on from a tired old formula.
WTF?? How many tons of weed have you smoked? Authenticity? What? And tired old formula? What's new now? Unlocks? Super badass terminator avatars? Fantasy weapons? Dumbed down gameplay? Is that what you call "the new formula" and an evolution of the gameplay?

Now it's you that is calling RO1 a bad game just because you didn't like it. Now you new guys want to discredit all the RO veterans that complain about the game. You clearly haven't got enough experience in RO1 to say the core is the same, because it's not. Most of the people defending TWI blindly now are newcomers, while almost all the vets I know, including the entire Brazilian fanbase, are disappointed with the game in some way.

Upvote 0
WTF?? How many tons of weed have you smoked? Authenticity? What? And tired old formula? What's new now? Unlocks? Super badass terminator avatars? Fantasy weapons? Dumbed down gameplay? Is that what you call "the new formula" and an evolution of the gameplay?

Now it's you that is calling RO1 a bad game just because you didn't like it. Now you new guys want to discredit all the RO veterans that complain about the game. You clearly haven't got enough experience in RO1 to say the core is the same, because it's not. Most of the people defending TWI blindly now are newcomers, while almost all the vets I know, including the entire Brazilian fanbase, are disappointed with the game in some way.

The angst of the RO faithful defined perfectly.

Good thing the moderators quashed us, and the newcomers de-repped us before the game was released. God knows what it would have been without that.

Upvote 0
Very good post! The small strident few will never get it in their tiny heads that this is not RO #1. This is a new independant game, for most of us, surpasses RO #1 in a lot of respects. This is the best WWII game I've ever played on the PC and I've played alot of them, going back to Close Combat: A Bridge to Far.

So you like it how the red exclamation marks are on the screen to show you where the enemy is, eh? Like the canned voices so that you dont' have to work at intelligent communciation? The tourettes-like outbursts that destroy stealth movement, the radar showing friendly locations, the ability to grind out more skill?

Show me where scripted wins = faith to WW2 gameplay, or historical accuracy.

RO2 is a very bad joke compared to the authentic experience of RO1.

Upvote 0

Quite the broad brush you're using there.

The core of RO is, in my opinion, a large scale, unforgiving game play with a focus on historical authenticity. These elements are still present in RO2 whether you acknowledge them or not. I will admit, however, that each of these elements exist in a smaller scale in RO2. You'll never get an argument to the contrary from me based on the game as it exists today. That said, you can't gloss over what's there simply because you're ticked about what's not and expect to have any credibility.

None of this is to say that I think this game is perfect as it sits. I don't. There are definitely some things that could stand some tweaking. My defense of Tripwire isn't that of a blind fanboy. It's a stand against unreasonable, self-entitled, rage driven nonsense that tends to be grounded more in unrealistic expectations than facts. The expectation, given everything we were shown prior to RO2 launch, that this game would be RO1 with better graphics is wholly unreasonable and unrealistic. When people still expected that, despite all of the evidence that they weren't going to get it, they came here claiming that they were lied to. The fact is that they weren't lied to. The saw what they wanted to see in the previews regardless of what was actually in said previews. Now they're pissed and making unfounded accusations. I'll stand against that wherever I see it regardless of whether or not I agree entirely with the person I'm defending. Integrity matters to me, even in the anonymous nebula of the internet.

Nesbif said:
@Thaelyn
There were no unlock abominations, magical stat jumps and now bot farming in beta & it took quite some time to realize how tunnelish and small the maps are.
Unlocks were known to be in game before launch. I know for a fact I looked at a screenshot of the weapon stats display before the game came out. On top of that, it was said by the developers. Even the pre-order bonuses included the words "early unlock". To claim that people had unlocks foisted upon them with no prior knowledge is, at best, disingenuous.

Stat jumps are a bug, not a gameplay feature so they don't belong in this discussion. Every game will have bugs and worthwhile developers will try to fix them. We can argue until we're both blue in the face about how long the fix should take, but I personally don't pretend to know how complicated it is to track down the cause of a software malfunction and repair it, so I tend to be very forgiving in terms of the timeline for a bug fix.

Bot farming is something that I will stand with you on. I don't agree with it and I wish it were not possible. I do think one would be free to populate a server with bots so that a game may commence without a full host of players, but those servers should not award stats, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Quite the broad brush you're using there.

The core of RO is, in my opinion, a large scale, unforgiving game play with a focus on historical authenticity. These elements are still present in RO2 whether you acknowledge them or not. I will admit, however, that each of these elements exist in a smaller scale in RO2. You'll never get an argument to the contrary from me based on the game as it exists today. That said, you can't gloss over what's there simply because you're ticked about what's not and expect to have any credibility.

None of this is to say that I think this game is perfect as it sits. I don't. There are definitely some things that could stand some tweaking. My defense of Tripwire isn't that of a blind fanboy. It's a stand against unreasonable, self-entitled, rage driven nonsense that tends to be grounded more in unrealistic expectations than facts. The expectation, given everything we were shown prior to RO2 launch, that this game would be RO1 with better graphics is wholly unreasonable and unrealistic. When people still expected that, despite all of the evidence that they weren't going to get it, they came here claiming that they were lied to. The fact is that they weren't lied to. The saw what they wanted to see in the previews regardless of what was actually in said previews. Now they're pissed and making unfounded accusations. I'll stand against that wherever I see it regardless of whether or not I agree entirely with the person I'm defending. Integrity matters to me, even in the anonymous nebula of the internet.
Historical authenticity went down the river with the predominance of auto and semi-auto weapons, MKB/AVT and assault MGs. The pace is way too faster than RO1 to be the same core, plus the unlock system doesn't fit at all in RO. Yes, TWI never said it'd be RO1 with better graphics, but a sequel is supposed to be an improved version of the previous game, not a whole new gameplay style.

I welcome features like the FOV zoom, interruptible reloads, cover system and I love the new tanks, but fastening the gameplay too much and adding arcade features like the rank system, fantasy weapons and unlocks kills it for me. And the game kinda forces you to accept these features, because if you dare to disable the rank system and the MKB/AVT on your server and add any kind of mutator, it will be exiled to the outlaw area called "unranked server tab", which means nobody will play on your server except for your close fellas. Like someone said these days: to make a tactical shooter accessible, you have to remove the tactical part of it.

Upvote 0
Historical authenticity went down the river with the predominance of auto and semi-auto weapons, MKB/AVT and assault MGs.
I'll point out here, that I did acknowledge the apparent smaller focus on those core elements. I'm not a history buff by any stretch of the imagination, so I will not pretend to have the faintest idea about the prevalence of those weapons in Stalingrad. As I said, though, you cannot retain credibility when you ignore what is done right simply because you're upset about something that may be wrong. All historical authenticity not go "down the river" because of those weapons anymore than 1:1 recreations of historical battlefields could remedy a load out inaccuracy.
The pace is way too faster than RO1 to be the same core, plus the unlock system doesn't fit at all in RO.
The pace is what players choose to make it. If people choose to run and gun the pace will be faster. If you want the pace to be slower then you need to find a way to influence other players to slow down and play more tactically. Taking away freedom isn't, in my opinion, the answer when someone else makes a choice you don't like.
Yes, TWI never said it'd be RO1 with better graphics, but a sequel is supposed to be an improved version of the previous game, not a whole new gameplay style.
Which is what Tripwire made, in my opinion. They removed some of the gimmicky, unrealistic elements of RO1 while keeping that core of larger scale (by larger, I am comparing to the FPS juggernaut of CoD) combined arms warfare that is less than forgiving and leans toward historical authenticity.
I welcome features like the FOV zoom, interruptible reloads, cover system and I love the new tanks, but fastening the gameplay too much and adding arcade features like the rank system, fantasy weapons and unlocks kills it for me. And the game kinda forces you to accept these features, because if you dare to disable the rank system and the MKB/AVT on your server and add any kind of mutator, it will be exiled to the outlaw area called "unranked server tab", which means nobody will play on your server except for your close fellas.
If you're right about nobody visiting unranked servers, then doesn't that actually support the notion that the majority of people playing are happy with the game as it is? The only thing, so far as I understand it, that you lose going from a ranked to an unranked server is stat progression (if I'm wrong here, then please correct me). If people aren't willing to give that up, can one not conclude that they want it?

Like someone said these days: to make a tactical shooter accessible, you have to remove the tactical part of it.
A narrow minded view, to be sure. Accessible doesn't mean devoid of tactics. I will once again point out that players will play the way they want to. This game is as tactical and teamwork oriented as you and the people you play with choose to make it. If you want to play tactically, do it. The problem, as I see it, is that those who prefer tactical play get upset when someone else doesn't and wants to change the game to make it impossible for other folks to play their way. Again, removing player choice is not the way to build a successful game, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A simple fix for 90% of peoples complaints would be just give alot more server side options. Allowing servers to control how many classes,weapon loadouts,Unlocks,lockout timer and pretty much all the conflicts people have about the game.That way the blame could be placed on the servers instead of the dev's lol.

They have a hard job(TWI) they will never please everyone and, while they may please one group of people the same action will displease another group.Allowing alot more server side options would solve many problems and, keep everyone happy for each group could have their own server and game type.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good idea ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
only under 2 conditions i would say a game is dead:

no players online at any point of time of a day.

twi/gamespy/whoever terminated the multiplayer service.

:D

Actually its just dawned on me the game plays better dead.. Just had a great time playing 2v2 on a 30 ping server.. Thats all these maps are useful for..

Gunthers right.. Ranked servers need to be able to control far more options. The devs solution of doing it unranked wont work..Catch 22

Seriously why go to the trouble of being the first westerners to visit grain tower to map it out authentically and then give everyone an uber weapon

Last edited:
Upvote 0