• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Open Letter To The Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q: But but but, what about bayonets!@#$@#$

A: Ok we'll give you this one. We've decided that everyone that owns RO1 will have a day 1 unlock of the bayonets for the Kar98 and the Mosin Nagant 91/30. So go stab happy right out of the gate! The other weapons you'll still have to earn them, but this is our compromise.
:IS2: be praised :D

Upvote 0
Q: But but but, what about bayonets!@#$@#$

A: Ok we'll give you this one. We've decided that everyone that owns RO1 will have a day 1 unlock of the bayonets for the Kar98 and the Mosin Nagant 91/30. So go stab happy right out of the gate! The other weapons you'll still have to earn them, but this is our compromise.

Not enough to placate me. RO1 owners should have dolphin diving activated. ;)

Upvote 0
So, my guess is that it's now time for our community to spread the word to every forum we see and every friend we know to not have failed in convincing others to purchase and enjoy the awesome game RO2 will be.

Spread the word and welcome all newcomers here and on the battlefield, no matter if they are coming from COD, BF or The Sims. After all, more players means more filled servers, means more targets, more fun and a long lasting RO2.

The downside will be that the next 5 years of our lives will be full of trouble to get our wifes/gfs, jobs and social lifes under one hat working around the gaming time we'll spend on RO2...:eek:

Upvote 0
Well if you think you've been "passed over," then you're in good company. There are tons of RO veterans that haven't been invited to the beta. Hopefully this will change when the larger beta starts.

well i don't take it to heart, despite being such a consistently superb ambassador for RO over the years both on the forums and in game.....
But asides from missing out on feeling special I'm happy to play the game when it's out.
I was more interested in the words 'turned down' wondering if said blogger was someone who hassled tripwire or indeed i missed something where you were supposed to apply.

Upvote 0
It's of great credit to the caliber of Tripwire that the president would take the time to write this. It is especially admirable considering that Mr. Gibson addressed specific community concerns in this busy time leading up to launch.

Concerning the unlocks, such as bayonets, I personally enjoy them as it gives me another goal to work toward and a small sense of achievement. I do enjoy attaching mah bayonet to me rifle straight away in RO1 though, so I appreciate the concession for preexisting owners.

Much respect to Tripwire from a new forum member.

Reactions: nebsif
Upvote 0
RO1 owners are used to having Bayonets are standard equipment. People were annoyed that they removed something to be unlocked, and realism guys are bothered by it being a standard issue for soldiers.

see this kind of post right here, is truly what turned constructive criticism in flamefests.......Ossius: what you've just said is not the case, at all. this has nothing to do with RO owners vs. RO noobs, RO vets vs. TW, or Realism fanboys vs. Casual gamers. this simply has to do with customers (current and potential), giving feedback about things that to them don't make sense. it doesn't matter WHO the person is, what "repuation" they have, or what RO "status" they have. everyone has the right to comment and question.

even though i expect to be bashed by certain forum members (or devs), i do not appreciate the attitude taken towards people like myself, who've provided valid constructive criticism in an appropriate manner. when i hear rumors that apparently forum members, namly me and Lemon, have been trying to start some conspiracy as a way to "get back at TW", i can't help but question how utterly ridiculous that is....this is certainly not true at all. to clear things up, several senior members and RO vets created a small Steam group to discuss RO2 things....both positive things and negative things. i was invited to join this group and happily accepted. some others, like Lemon, PierreChang, hockeywarrior, and Grobut are all part of this......none of us are "out to get TW". we are all just passionate about RO and enjoy discussing the game and wish to help in whatever ways we can to make sure the legacy of RO is continued with RO2.

as Ramm alluded to, Carnut's blog was a bit over the top, but as i said before, that does not negate some of the valid points he discussed. it's good that Lemon posted that link because it is a good way to see what people are thinking, regardless of the overwhelmingly "negative" feel of his article. however what i do find to be equally unacceptable and concerning is the way in which anything that was the least bit "negative" was met with the all to common "gtfo, TW is deh awesome and can do no wrong" response......just like the "OMG TW y u make RO2 like COD?!?!" comments, we as a community did not need either of those types of posts.

now, in regards to the bayonet issue.....this applied to RO2 and RO2 alone. this has nothing to do with the original RO having something and something being "removed" from RO2. this really has nothing to do with "realism" people being bothered by soldiers not being equipped with historically accurate loadouts. the argument, as i've explained in other threads, is the way a standard issued item was worked into a progression system. it's pretty simple: Real Life Soldier has an issued bayo just by enlisting in the army. translate that to the Virtual Soldier in the game.....the equivilant lowest "level" of a raw recruit should also be treated the same as the lowest "level" of reality. i.e. both would have bayos as standard issue. the logic is simply not possible to argue against.

NOW, i personally respect TW's decision to give ROOST owners the day1 bayo unlock......mostly because it at least shows that "we" got the point accross and to halt anymore arguments, they've presented a compromise. thus, as shown in my changed signature, i personally won't be discussing this issue anymore. as for other concerns i might have, i'll hold off to see how things continue with the beta. feedback has been given and if TW is going to take any of it into account, then it will be evident in the media we'll see leading up to release.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramm: i thank you for the post. it was just what was needed to help reassure concerned veterans and calm the mood around these forums. :)

may the peace of the Glorious :IS2: be upon you all

Upvote 0
as Ramm alluded to, Carnut's blog was a bit over the top, but as i said before, that does not negate some of the valid points he discussed. it's good that Lemon posted that link because it is a good way to see what people are thinking, regardless of the overwhelmingly "negative" feel of his article. however what i do find to be equally unacceptable and concerning is the way in which anything that was the least bit "negative" was met with the all to common "gtfo, TW is deh awesome and can do no wrong" response......just like the "OMG TW y u make RO2 like COD?!?!" comments, we as a community did not need either of those types of posts.

Problem is they weren't valid points, they were opinionated points that didn't take into account the fact that Tripwire is (still) a small developer and is under immense pressure both from the community and the press to deliver an amazing game. HeyCarnut overstepped far too many times in that blog post and, having gotten such exposure, it ended up being an incredibly unwarranted attack on Tripwire and RO2's image. But hell, I suppose that's why it's called a blog and not a review.

Thing is, with forums, once the **** starts flying it usually goes and goes no matter how compelling either side's arguments end up being. Overblown comments start becoming the focus and people start seeing in black and white. It's times like this where people need to tread incredibly lightly and watch their words, lest they bring the wrath of either supporters or opposition.

Asking for simple confirmations or just general information to clear things up puts more stress on the issue, especially when measures aren't adequately taken to avoid conflict. Even simple questions can sound like demands in these situations.

Upvote 0
Much appreciated words from TWI directly! I was watching an old preview from sept 2010, markeedragon or something. Seeing Gibson speak about the game and how geared towards gamers, talking about how successful their hardwork has paid off...then revisiting these forums it made me feel like an unappreciative jerk. I have absolute faith in TWI in bringing us a very successful title.

I am aware of why people ask so many questions and presume a lot but it still makes me feel bad :/

Upvote 0
Not sure what to say. I remember COD games had "Unlock XYZ Gun, pre order now!~". TW has "We give you pointy objects, go stab some newbies, fellow vets, dead cows, and brick walls outside spawn". :IS2:

Hopefully now the forums can return to its former glory and we can start seeing worthwhile posts instead of black holes full of negativity and arguing.:D

Upvote 0
I 'm happy about the free bayonet, will definitely be getting the game.

I swore I was keeping out of these forums until the game is released, well sometimes I just can't help having a quick peek...

I bet the learning curve will need just as much dedication as it did with RO.

I'm buying a boxed version, I hope it comes on one disk, would save a lot of grief in the help forums...:D...

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.