• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Moe, you fail to see my point: Most criminals do NOT intend to kill, they intend to gain goods/money etc. illegally. Killing someone to get things they own is merely a preventative measure they take not to get killed in the process.

So as long as I am ok with me and my family, friends, neighbors being robbed, raped, violated, harassed, whatever, we absolutely don't need guns because most criminals don't want to kill us?

Yeah :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So as long as I am ok with me and my family, friends, neighbors being robbed, raped, violated, harassed, whatever, we absolutely don't need guns because most criminals don't want to kill us?

Why not learn self defence against guns and knives? You won't be able to pull your gun out when someone robs you, it seems more likely a robber will pull out his weapon first and surprise you with it. I would learn how to disarm someone using only your hands and gain control over him by knocking him unconscious if I was that afraid of getting robbed.

When there's a burglar in your house and you're in bed you would probably have a chance of getting out your gun and sneak up to him, not every burglar is armed to the teeth, some are just poor people that look for a quick buck but a burglar alarm would do just fine unless they storm your house fully armed but then it doesn't really matter if you have a gun or not.

Upvote 0

How often have you, your family, friends and neighbours been robbed, raped, violated or harassed? And how often did you prevent those things with your guns?

Upvote 0
How often have you, your family, friends and neighbours been robbed, raped, violated or harassed? And how often did you prevent those things with your guns?

First I will say that no area is immune to crime, but...

I haven't, because I live in an area of NJ that is conservative where many people own and use guns for sport and hunting.

Get it???? :p

Upvote 0
As you pointed the political orientation out, I somehow I highly doubt that there would be more crime in democrat areas of a similar per capita income...
I for one think that there wouldn't be a sudden crime wave if people in your area all stopped owning guns.

Heck, I'd love to see an experiment: get two empty buildings, one in a well off area, and one in a poor area. And then mark them visibly as homes that don't have guns and see if they're broken in more often than the neighbouring homes.
And after that, get new houses and mark them as heavily armed, and again measure how often those are robbed.

And on a sidenote, found an interestung read: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

Seems that in america, most criminals really are NOT interested in violence after all. Who would've thought:

Only in a fourth of all burglaries, there was someone at home. And of those burglaries, again, only a fourth of those residents was assaulted.

61 percent of the offenders were UNARMED!

Also, 65 percent of the offenders were known to the victims. So the random lunatic stranger people need protection against seems to be a rather low probability, and not a part of everyday life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait. Wuh?
Conservative = republican?
i.e.
liberal = democrat?
My. With what a broad brush we stroke.
I know several on both sides of the aisle the would beg to differ.

I say kill them all. Let God sort them out....:cool:
Win/win for everyone.

Well, killing all conservatives and liberals is one way to get around party issues, but I wonder how many people in the US would be left alive.

Upvote 0
It's an interesting conversation, and personally I can see both sides to the argument.

Just wondering about something btw, isn't it true that in Austria all the drafted people get to take their weapon back home after their service is up? I heard that somewhere but I can't remember where.
If that is true, wouldn't that mean that in a lot of Austrian homes you could find an assault rifle?

Now, for Holland we have a very strict law on guns. You can have hunting shotguns after jumping through ****loads of hoops (because there is nothing to hunt in Holland lol, not enough woods and wild life for that), no rifles as far as I know, and handguns are strictly forbidden.
But Holland's laws are highly impractical to me, because they also tend to victimise the criminal, and acts of self-defense are judged too harshly in my honest opinion.
For example, years ago there was a case of a store being robbed. Perps came in with knifes demanding money. Two tellers managed to sneak up on them and knock them out, neutralising the situation without anybody coming to serious harm. Now, which of the two got the highest fine?
The tellers. For applying 'violence'. The two people robbing the store with knifes were practically let go for not slicing anybody up, but the tellers who neutralised them got in the biggest trouble. And that **** isn't right.

That mentality can be found everywhere though, even for the soldiers in Afghanistan. Prime ministers on visit telling them (after such an encounter) that they shouldn't fire on Taliban if they don't shoot first, even when there is no question about the fact of them them being the enemy.
What happened was they ran into a truck full of insurgents that didn't engage them because they were in a tactically disadvantageous position (meaning they would have been torn apart) and so they tried to get away without firing. The thinking of the politicians is that of 'don't shoot lest we look overly agressive, we can't sell that ****', and not 'they will fire back once they are in a better position and our political crap could cost us Dutch lives'.

I do not believe in victimising criminals. Saying that someone doesn't have a choice because they are poor and they need it to survive is doing a disservice to poor people everywhere who do not resort to crime.
I care less for the reason people are doing it, because personally I could never resort to crime. I would feel horrible and would hate myself, I'd rather be poor, homeless or whatever. It's just not right, and I can't feel sympathy for it.

Now, I can't blame anybody for wanting a gun in order to be prepared for **** hitting the fan.
I can hear the argument that the chance is so small it's negligable (sp?), but how many people say 'that won't happen to me', and in the end it still happens to them? It never hurts to be prepared.
A better example might be the Anders Breivik thing. I was in Norway recently and I was told the cops there do not carry firearms. If they would have carried them, someone might have stopped Breivik before the killcount got so high. Now they would pretty much have resorted to kindly asking him to stop what he was doing, and he would have shot them in return.

At the same time I am not convinced either by the argument that everything is SO bad and that you can expect violence around every corner.
I've hitchhiked through the U.S from north to south by myself and personally I haven't seen or felt any kind of crime or danger to myself. That doesn't mean it didn't happen around me, but I never saw it. And a lone hitchhiker from a foreign country would make a prime target.
The one time I did encounter criminal violence was in Canada when I booked into a Motel in Saskatoon, there were people fighting in a motel room, two guys threatening and beating on a man and a woman. They actually took the guy outside and smashed his head into the railing of the balcony, which I didn't see but people outside did.

So I tend to put my trust in people, I won't judge them before getting to know them or giving someone a chance to prove him or herself. That said, I did carry and will continue to carry a knife for self-defense, because you need to be prepared for the off-chance that someone is out to hurt you.

EDIT:
This is an interesting video on the subject that I recommend watching btw. I don't always agree with what he says or how he says it, but it's a balanced opinion and one that I largely agree with.

"Fear No Evil" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's an interesting conversation, and personally I can see both sides to the argument.

Just wondering about something btw, isn't it true that in Austria all the drafted people get to take their weapon back home after their service is up? I heard that somewhere but I can't remember where.
If that is true, wouldn't that mean that in a lot of Austrian homes you could find an assault rifle?

Now, for Holland we have a very strict law on guns. You can have hunting shotguns after jumping through ****loads of hoops (because there is nothing to hunt in Holland lol, not enough woods and wild life for that), no rifles as far as I know, and handguns are strictly forbidden.
But Holland's laws are highly impractical to me, because they also tend to victimise the criminal, and acts of self-defense are judged too harshly in my honest opinion.
For example, years ago there was a case of a store being robbed. Perps came in with knifes demanding money. Two tellers managed to sneak up on them and knock them out, neutralising the situation without anybody coming to serious harm. Now, which of the two got the highest fine?
The tellers. For applying 'violence'. The two people robbing the store with knifes were practically let go for not slicing anybody up, but the tellers who neutralised them got in the biggest trouble. And that **** isn't right.

That mentality can be found everywhere though, even for the soldiers in Afghanistan. Prime ministers on visit telling them (after such an encounter) that they shouldn't fire on Taliban if they don't shoot first, even when there is no question about the fact of them them being the enemy.
What happened was they ran into a truck full of insurgents that didn't engage them because they were in a tactically disadvantageous position (meaning they would have been torn apart) and so they tried to get away without firing. The thinking of the politicians is that of 'don't shoot lest we look overly agressive, we can't sell that ****', and not 'they will fire back once they are in a better position and our political crap could cost us Dutch lives'.

I do not believe in victimising criminals. Saying that someone doesn't have a choice because they are poor and they need it to survive is doing a disservice to poor people everywhere who do not resort to crime.
I care less for the reason people are doing it, because personally I could never resort to crime. I would feel horrible and would hate myself, I'd rather be poor, homeless or whatever. It's just not right, and I can't feel sympathy for it.

Now, I can't blame anybody for wanting a gun in order to be prepared for **** hitting the fan.
I can hear the argument that the chance is so small it's negligable (sp?), but how many people say 'that won't happen to me', and in the end it still happens to them? It never hurts to be prepared.
A better example might be the Anders Breivik thing. I was in Norway recently and I was told the cops there do not carry firearms. If they would have carried them, someone might have stopped Breivik before the killcount got so high. Now they would pretty much have resorted to kindly asking him to stop what he was doing, and he would have shot them in return.

At the same time I am not convinced either by the argument that everything is SO bad and that you can expect violence around every corner.
I've hitchhiked through the U.S from north to south by myself and personally I haven't seen or felt any kind of crime or danger to myself. That doesn't mean it didn't happen around me, but I never saw it. And a lone hitchhiker from a foreign country would make a prime target.
The one time I did encounter criminal violence was in Canada when I booked into a Motel in Saskatoon, there were people fighting in a motel room, two guys threatening and beating on a man and a woman. They actually took the guy outside and smashed his head into the railing of the balcony, which I didn't see but people outside did.

So I tend to put my trust in people, I won't judge them before getting to know them or giving someone a chance to prove him or herself. That said, I did carry and will continue to carry a knife for self-defense, because you need to be prepared for the off-chance that someone is out to hurt you.

EDIT:
This is an interesting video on the subject that I recommend watching btw. I don't always agree with what he says or how he says it, but it's a balanced opinion and one that I largely agree with.

"Fear No Evil" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Well spoken and great video :)

Upvote 0

Switzerland.

Upvote 0
It's amazing how newer generations assume things we used to believe 'impossible' and take them for granted.

My 2 year old son, for example, can use a laptop since he had around 19-20 months. He knows how turn it on, open Chrome, click on the youtube shortcut, how to use the touchpad to browse through all those youtube videos he likes.

When I turn on the TV, he asks for his favorite cartoon (Jake and the Pirates), and throws a tantrum when there's another cartoon on air, when it's just a click away on the computer.

As a kid, I remember I had to see any crappy program the TV was showing, waiting patiently for the time when they'll show Saint Seiya and Mazinger Z.

Upvote 0