• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Don't get your hopes up. If you want contact with her, contact her.

Aye, very true, my lad. I had rated her profile, so the hope was that she would see it, visit my profile and then we could converse.

I really, really don't want to send a message first, though. It took me, off and on, about an hour and a half to write something that wasn't even send-able anyway. (I wish my social IQ was as high as my standard IQ. :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
Well, you'll probably have to.:( Just write this (in your head) to an acquaintance or almost-buddy you happened to see on that site. Imagine a male acquaintance if that makes it easier for you.

Ha, small world, lol. Nice to see you here, [name]!
I'm Virgo, the guy who stammered awkward hello's at you at [wherever]. Sorry about that. Pretty girls are a little intimidating to me sometimes*. I see you're into [whatever you have in common], though! [Question about it. Also starts the conversation]?

See you around/Have a nice day
- Mister_Virgo
Don't copy that. Just supposed to show you how simple it is.
*Don't take it as an insult. My point is, there is no use in playing this really suave ladies' man online when it all crumbles when you're two feet from her the next time.

Take things into your own hands though. If you want to talk: start talking, if you want something (e.g. meet her for coffee or whatever): say it. People aren't mindreaders and super subtle, annoyingly coy hints like dropping strawberry handkerchiefs or just rating up someone's profile don't do anything.

Upvote 0
Omegle is still the best way to meet girls I think. However, do not go there and just ask for "asl" from the start. Infact do not ever ask for asl. The best way to meet girls there is to not care about who you talk to.
Have something interesting to say, stories from your life, global problems, whatever.
Be polite all the time, doesn't matter if it's a guy or girl, the conversation is what matters.
Ofcourse you will meet people all over the world, so if you have problems with that omegle isn't really your thing I guess.

I once took a plane to turkey to meet a girl, I'm thinking about going to brazil next summer to meet someone else, if I'm lucky I won't even need to get a hotel and If I play my cards right I can go to england or thailand or turkey again.

Spending some time on omegle also improves your social behaviour. You can say whatever you want to someone on omegle, if the person disconnects, so be it, there are many more where that came from.
Omegle used to be better though, 3 years ago I met ALOT of people there (mostly girls) but I gave that all up for that turkish girl I went to. Now it's harder to meet someone interesting as there are alot of guys and spambots on omegle, try to be different from the pack, ask a creative question at the start that could start a conversation like "What's the most awesome thing you did in your life?".

An online relationship can work if you don't mind the lack of physical contact but do try to meet at least once a year, it's the bare minimum. But hey, even an online gf is a gf, sometimes just the thought of having a gf is good enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has anyone here read Island of Fire by Jason Mark? Is it worth the pricetag? It definitely looks intriguing, and I liked what I saw of the samples. Is it more of a collection of personal accounts or Glantz style long lists of unit names or a something else entirely?

I ask because I really enjoy stuff that's written like Beevor's Stalingrad for instance, but have trouble getting through more dry works.

Can't say that I have, but his newest work on Cholm has been well received and was supported by a friend of mine that designed Kampfgruppe Scherer for Advanced Squad Leader (the boardgame). Fantastic module for that system.

Upvote 0
As a veteran of many a hurricane, I'm glad you're OK... If the roof is still on your house, count your blessings! At least you can sleep dry.....

Chin up! One can't complain when the system is not designed for hurricanes. And down here we can't (or shouldn't) complain when we're hit. We know its coming and we know what to expect. The power and utility crews do a remarkable and amazing job and should be commended. My hats off to them everytime.....

My best advice about most everything else, is.... if it can be done privately, don't wait on the govt. Get crackin' and do it yourself......Neighbor with neighbor, community with community is the only way anything will get done...

Best of luck......

Upvote 0
My computer's been locking up sometimes (can move mouse, but can't click anything and it's otherwise frozen) on start up recently. It'll load the background, all the icons and a few programs in the tray (skype etc.) but then it'll freeze. Doesn't happen everytime though, only about 1/3 of the time. Any idea what could be causing it? I'm on XP.

Upvote 0
My computer's been locking up sometimes (can move mouse, but can't click anything and it's otherwise frozen) on start up recently. It'll load the background, all the icons and a few programs in the tray (skype etc.) but then it'll freeze. Doesn't happen everytime though, only about 1/3 of the time. Any idea what could be causing it? I'm on XP.

You too huh? I've been having freezes in any 3D app lately. I blame the ATi drivers, they've really been dropping off in quality recently (maybe because they out of dosh). Never liked my 22" VGA CRT + 60" HDMI DLP setup either. Gonna have to roll back or maybe just bite the bullet and go for a clean 7 install.

Upvote 0