• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Importing sounds into KF

Swift-Brutal-Death

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
So I looked around for a basic tutorial of importing sounds into KF and couldn't find one. Can someone give me a step by step?

What I have tried so far is to be on the sounds tab, go to import and select the file (i've tried with both .WAV and .OGG) save as mylevel, group, name, etc but nothing happens after that. I look around and cannot find the file anywhere. What am I missing here?

Same basic rules apply to any content type. Import path and filename needs to be alpha-numberic and not contain spaces.

For sound it needs to be 16bit (or 8bit if you can get away with it) uncompressed wav. Sample rate should be as low as possible without greatly effecting the fidelity (44,32, or 22 is common). They should also be mono unless special purpose, which would be interface (menu) or first person weapon firing sounds (not 3rd person). KF is also the exception to this rule as it's the only UE2 game I know of that supports stereo sounds (engine mod).

Upvote 0
Same basic rules apply to any content type. Import path and filename needs to be alpha-numberic and not contain spaces.

For sound it needs to be 16bit (or 8bit if you can get away with it) uncompressed wav. Sample rate should be as low as possible without greatly effecting the fidelity (44,32, or 22 is common). They should also be mono unless special purpose, which would be interface (menu) or first person weapon firing sounds (not 3rd person). KF is also the exception to this rule as it's the only UE2 game I know of that supports stereo sounds (engine mod).

Well I've noticed the player voice sounds dull in 32khz, and shoulda have been 44khz imo. Theres low quality sound option, so why cutting the sounds down? Gaining 10-15mb only of space, and some memory, where you could just check the low quality sound if you have small amount of ram.

Upvote 0
Everything could be 44/48/96k, it doesn't mean that it should be especially if the contents don't need the resources, that would be called unnecessary or unoptimized when used in application. Sound design has both artistic and technical needs. Resampling (with good software) within reason reduces the bandwidth of the sample to freqs most humanly audible.

Also being able to see what the sampling rate is also effects your perception of the quality of the sound much more than your ears. Even more so previewing the sample(s) outside of their intended environment. It would be like listening to a single instrument from a mastered song. It would sound dull and lifeless on it's own because of the selective eq done placing emphasis on freqs it uses the most while dampening those it doesn't to make room for other instruments.

Considering their use it's more important for everything to fit together than stand by itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I downloaded your NoiseR(With youtubedowner), but i have no idea how to put it into the game play.
KF doesn't have mp3 support.
i've been having trouble when i import the sounds, when they get into ued(kfed) they are very very very very quiet.
i've followed what has been written so that the format of the wav files are correct, i just dont know why they become so quiet after imported.
Compression.
Here is what one of the headshot sounds looked like before and after compression.
rFivW.jpg

Upvote 0
well, my problem is even when i play them through the sound browser, they are super duper quiet.
putting the sound vol even at 255 can barely hear them.
thats cause 255 doesnt work :D

lol make sure also the volume is set in the sounds (itself) propertes

But i alawys use 200 and they sound fine

(scripted Trigger)

PlaySound : Blah blah blah Volume 200 Pitch 1

Last edited:
Upvote 0