• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Skunkees Definitive Berserker guide

I have used this build, lvl6 zerker with katana/m-79. On suicidal it's a bit of a challenge because it takes like 3 nades to kill a gorefast but it's fun....till the FPs come out to play....

I call that one the BOOMzerker. Easy to achieve, and every effective.

Spawn as Zerker. Buy Katana. Save up ~$1,000-$1,200, depending on Demo level and, thus, discounts. Switch to Demoman and buy M-79 and Pipes. Kill.

The Katana is for pretty much everything that comes your way that your nades/teammates can't handle. Which includes Gorefasts and the occasional Scrake. There are a few important things to know with this build.

1) The "Earthshaker". Toss a frag grenade and shoot it with an M-79 nade the second it lands for a HUGE, highly damaging explosion. An Earthshaker can instagib Gorefasts, Sirens, and Husks if your Demoman level is decent

2) Scrakes are your nemisis. Don't waste nades on them. Either leave them for other classes or, if you MUST, use the Katana primary fire to stunlock them.

3) At least on Hard, FPs can be killed in fairly short order by even a Level 3 Demo using this setup. Lure it onto a pipebomb and when it's raging, Earthshaker. FP will gib. And it'll feel great.

4) Remember: Direct nade hits pretty much suck vs groups. Try shooting the ceilings/walls to get the most out of a splash. If you shoot directly or even "splash" the floor, you usually won't hit all of a group, but if you shoot the ceiling directly overhead...boom!

5) Use the Katana whenever feasable, as no ammo spent on a kill = completely profitable kill. This isn't a cheap build. Each M-79 shot costs $10, each Earthshaker costs $50 total, and every pipebomb is $50+. Expect to spend upwards of $500 on a full reload! Where you absolutely COULD kill a pair of $3 clots with an M-79 round, you LOSE MONEY on it. Whereas if you Katana both of 'em, you GAIN money.

Upvote 0
I think you're making it out to be a lot worse than it really is. Don't get me wrong, there is a definite issue with the Berserker perk as a whole now but the only valid complaint I've seen from you has been about the chainsaw damage.

Berserkers don't take hits any harder than a medic does since medic's damage resistance is only in the form of armor and Berserker's 25% is constant. If medics have no armor, they get instagibbed by a fleshpound on hard/suicidal. Also, if the medic is busy healing himself instead of his teammates, the teammates are probably going to die as a result of that.

There are a few things that were totally un-necessary such as the chainsaw nerf. But the Katana auto attack was pretty cheesy before. I'm actually glad they took away the auto attack because now it encourages you to pick and choose your swings, waiting for the right moment, rather than just W+Mouse 1'ing everything. Power strikes are actually a bit more important to use now, I've found.

I still say the best solution would be to revamp how the other Berserker weapons work. I've found that other perks' weaponry (save for the new uberguns) is more sidegrade oriented. For example, the crossbow may have huge damage and high penetration, but you only get one shot before you reload. The Lever Action on the other hand, allows you to take out several specimens individually with a faster firing rate.

I want to see that happen with the Berserker. It would be awesome if there were situations you would want the fire axe instead of the katana, or the machete instead of the chainsaw. As it is now, all non katana weapons are just placeholders until you can afford one.

I reread your opening post and I endorse it. You have really good information.

I myself still play berserker alot and yes I noticed a huge decline of the class. I have preposed a solutioin to the chainsaw nerf, but I doubt it would get fixed. Chainsaw should have the ability for an instant decap kill on a clot and gorefest. but tripwire dont seem interested, oh well.

Lever rifle is a gem for taking out crawlers, I use it alot on suicidal. But its not that effective on sirens, a handcannon or Bullpup is more suitable for those. 200 is cheap when being starved of money early on in suicidal. If changing weapons/class you can sell it back for 150, so its a 50 dollar loss.

As for husks, I charge and jump when under fire, then hit them with a power attack, as long as no other specimins are in the way. If they are, its gets a little tricky and dangerous. Same goes with a siren too. Sirens are deadly to a berserker on suicidal. Dont attempt a charge unless you have a clear path. You are better making a call to a team make over the mic asking to take down the siren in this case. The risk is high, so you should only attempt that charge if the situation turns desparate.

anyway, good stuff :)

Upvote 0
Same goes with a siren too. Sirens are deadly to a berserker on suicidal. Dont attempt a charge unless you have a clear path. You are better making a call to a team make over the mic asking to take down the siren in this case. The risk is high, so you should only attempt that charge if the situation turns desparate.

anyway, good stuff :)

Do the old "Corner Ninja" trick. Wait around a corner, killing everything that comes around, until the Siren/Husk does, then 1 good power slice. Thank god Husks are too dumb to splash rockets around a corner...

Upvote 0
The only useful weapon combo for zerker is xbow and katana. If your skilled, you can be almost as useful as that sharpie level 6 noob spamming m14 shots all over the place.

The sad part is that the X-Bow allows you to kill Scrakes faster and easier than your Katana. I'd say the "Ninja" combo (Katana/Crossbow) is probably one of the best. Able to instakill Scrakes, while getting rid of Husks/Sirens/Bloats at a good range. However, unless you can line Crawlers up (Not always possible), they'll still be a royal pain. Plus the 10 block weight plus 3 blocks for your Katana equals out to 13 blocks (Plus one for the 9mm/knife), making you 14/15...and pretty slow...

my favorite combo is called the "john woo" katana and dual handcannons

Expensive, but effective. I usually go with the single handcannon, but the duals can be very useful for taking out clusters of 8+ crawlers/stalkers. I consider the Katana+Handcannon combo to probably be the second best, overall. Katana (3) + Handcannon (4) + 1 block for the 9mm/Knife, is only 8 blocks total, making you INCREDIBLY fast-moving.

Upvote 0
The sad part is that the X-Bow allows you to kill Scrakes faster and easier than your Katana. I'd say the "Ninja" combo (Katana/Crossbow) is probably one of the best. Able to instakill Scrakes, while getting rid of Husks/Sirens/Bloats at a good range. However, unless you can line Crawlers up (Not always possible), they'll still be a royal pain. Plus the 10 block weight plus 3 blocks for your Katana equals out to 13 blocks (Plus one for the 9mm/knife), making you 14/15...and pretty slow...

Expensive, but effective. I usually go with the single handcannon, but the duals can be very useful for taking out clusters of 8+ crawlers/stalkers. I consider the Katana+Handcannon combo to probably be the second best, overall. Katana (3) + Handcannon (4) + 1 block for the 9mm/Knife, is only 8 blocks total, making you INCREDIBLY fast-moving.

which is my point in thats its extremely effective in budget and movement cost

Upvote 0
I'm very curious after testing this out myself for a while now:

Even on servers where my ping has been < 70, the Katana is taking up to almost 1 second to actually deal its damage after the start of the swing. It's been especially noticeable during zed time: the entire swing animation completes, then the damage is dealt.

Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Upvote 0
I dont need a crossbow to take out a scake. My Katana does that. But the ability to take out multiple specimins in a line may reduce the chances of getting surrounded. So its plausible, but I'd still prefer a Handcannon or Lever Action rifle over it.

I feel the same, single handcannon over the duel Handcannon. Dual Handcannons take a hell of a time to reload, thus you only need one single acurate shot on a crawler to take it down unless on suicidal. Dual Handcannons are good close range dps, but as beserker your melee weapon should be your close range dps.

Upvote 0
I'm a relative rookie in KF and just wanted clarification on the equipment progression as 'zerker. Prior to wave 2 I buy the Fire Axe then start saving up for the Katana and LAR (to deal with Sirens). Body armor aside that's pretty much all I use, even in the later waves on Normal.

In the current iteration of the game it seems like the Katana is as upgrade to the Fire Axe in every way, is that correct?

About the exp, is it better to headshot or Body shot the target?
I would also like to know this. I've just been going for headshots since it seems like it's better to hone that skill, and helps me survive until the later rounds to get more kills.

Upvote 0
I'm a relative rookie in KF and just wanted clarification on the equipment progression as 'zerker. Prior to wave 2 I buy the Fire Axe then start saving up for the Katana and LAR (to deal with Sirens). Body armor aside that's pretty much all I use, even in the later waves on Normal.

In the current iteration of the game it seems like the Katana is as upgrade to the Fire Axe in every way, is that correct?
Not true. Both fireaxe and katana have their places.

Katana has a much faster swing, which makes it the go-to Berserker weapon for mobs. In a pinch, alt-fire headshot from a katana will decap Husk and Siren if need be.

Axe, on the other hand, deals high damage per blow, more than the katana. It becomes very useful for dealing with large, high-HP targets, like Scrakes, and if you're kiting, Fleshpounds. (In fact, depending on ther perk and difficulty, axe's alt-fire can stun/dizzy a Scrake if you hit it in the head. You can then chain together stuns until you kill. Low-risk tactic for Scrakes)

The most common Berserker loadout is katana, axe, and leveraction rifle. Katana takes cares of the head-height trash (Clots, Gorefasts, and Stalkers). Axe can take out the high-health threats (Scrake, Fleshpound, Husk if he's in your face). LAR takes care of the Crawlers and ranged threats (Siren, Husk, Bloat).

Personally, I've taken a liking to the M32 + axe combo.

I would also like to know this. I've just been going for headshots since it seems like it's better to hone that skill, and helps me survive until the later rounds to get more kills.
I think I read somewhere that a headshot kill counts as giving you total HP. Let's pretend a Gorefast has 200 HP total and 60 HP on his head. If you do 60 damage to his head (thus killing him) you get 200 damage towards your perk progression.

Upvote 0
I think I read somewhere that a headshot kill counts as giving you total HP. Let's pretend a Gorefast has 200 HP total and 60 HP on his head. If you do 60 damage to his head (thus killing him) you get 200 damage towards your perk progression.

Not quite.

If it just decapitates the specimen, and they die from "bleed out" (It's really more of a they have X seconds to live thing), you only gain the amount of damage from the headshot + the head removal bonus packet.

If the decap kills the specimen instantly, or if you don't wait for the specimen to die of "bleed out" you do get all of the damage for the kill though.

Upvote 0
Not true. Both fireaxe and katana have their places.

Katana has a much faster swing, which makes it the go-to Berserker weapon for mobs. In a pinch, alt-fire headshot from a katana will decap Husk and Siren if need be.

Axe, on the other hand, deals high damage per blow, more than the katana. It becomes very useful for dealing with large, high-HP targets, like Scrakes, and if you're kiting, Fleshpounds. (In fact, depending on ther perk and difficulty, axe's alt-fire can stun/dizzy a Scrake if you hit it in the head. You can then chain together stuns until you kill. Low-risk tactic for Scrakes)

The most common Berserker loadout is katana, axe, and leveraction rifle. Katana takes cares of the head-height trash (Clots, Gorefasts, and Stalkers). Axe can take out the high-health threats (Scrake, Fleshpound, Husk if he's in your face). LAR takes care of the Crawlers and ranged threats (Siren, Husk, Bloat).

Personally, I've taken a liking to the M32 + axe combo.
Thanks for the clarification. When I'm playing heavy melee I'll keep the Axe around for the alt-fire on the big guys.

I think someone called it "the Ninja" but using the katana and xbow works well on Normal difficulty.

I would appreciate some clarification on this as well. The higher difficulties don't actually give you more xp, they just put you up against stronger enemies that require more damage to kill, correct?

Upvote 0
Yes, they just have stronger, tougher, and faster enemies, so sharpshooters are better off grinding in the lower difficulties.

Scrakes also don't get flinchlocked by katanas or get stunned by off-perk crossbows once you get past hard either, so axes are more useful.
Sigh. I remember the overpowered days where a Medic with a crossbow could one-shot a Scrake on hard 6-man.

Speaking of leveling though, I thought harder difficulties netted more experience. (More HP = more damage dealt = more perk progression.)

Upvote 0