• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Skunkees Definitive Berserker guide

This is unfortunately true. Since the 'discount newbies' joined, I've been seeing a ton of "Wow, I wish I could afford the LAW! I bet it owns!" stuff, along with the usual "The chainsaw is slow, so it sucks. The Katana is so much better! I can run up to enemies (And die) twice as fast!"

This made me lol.

They really ought to make the law useful for something, it's just a waste of space right now.

Upvote 0
This made me lol.

They really ought to make the law useful for something, it's just a waste of space right now.

Yeah. They need to either:
A) Make it have better splash damage (turning into a crowd control weapon)
Or
B) Increase it's damage overall so it's actually capable of blowing the **** out of Bloats, Scrakes, FPs and the Patriarch.

As it stands a hunting shotgun and a crossbow, somehow manage to outclass an anti-tank rocket launcher in damage. Which is ludicrous. And they weigh less, have more shots and don't kill you when fired at point blank.

I mean, as it stands right now, the LAW is utterly useless. The 9mm's a more formidable weapon.

Upvote 0
L.A.W. is a bit out of topic for a berserker guide but...
...the LAW is utterly useless. The 9mm's a more formidable weapon.
I would not go that far... ;)

There are better weapons out there - even more so after you apply perk benefits - but it is not utterly useless. For example I've seen a really excellent medic save team members swarmed by clots and crawlers by using a L.A.W.

Upvote 0
L.A.W. is a bit out of topic for a berserker guide but...I would not go that far... ;)

There are better weapons out there - even more so after you apply perk benefits - but it is not utterly useless. For example I've seen a really excellent medic save team members swarmed by clots and crawlers by using a L.A.W.

It's only got 12 shots and is extremely situational however.

The 9mm can drop anything short of a FP or Scrake consistently with headshots. The 9mm just rules like hell. I mean, when I 'zerk, the 9mm is the only ranged weapon I need. The only things I need to shoot - Sirens and Crawlers - can easily be dropped in under a magazine's worth of rounds. Which leaves plenty of room to carry both the Katana and Chainsaw for both offensive and defensive roles.

It says a lot when a 9mm pistol is more useful than a LAW. :p

Upvote 0
It's only got 12 shots and is extremely situational however.

The 9mm can drop anything short of a FP or Scrake consistently with headshots. The 9mm just rules like hell. I mean, when I 'zerk, the 9mm is the only ranged weapon I need. The only things I need to shoot - Sirens and Crawlers - can easily be dropped in under a magazine's worth of rounds. Which leaves plenty of room to carry both the Katana and Chainsaw for both offensive and defensive roles.

It says a lot when a 9mm pistol is more useful than a LAW. :p

In about 3/4 of games where I see someone with the LAW, they end up killing THEMSELVES with it... Usually after I WARN THEM that they can easily end up killing themselves with it...

Upvote 0
Updated the guide again.

New:
*Moved weapon combinations to "general tactics" to allow more room in the first post for when new weapons are released.
*Added the LAW to the first post, since for some reason I didn't mention it.
*Corrected some spelling and grammatical errors.
*Updated Fleshpound and Patriarch section to acknowledge the Katana and the AK-47.
*Corrected misinformation that the AK-47 did similar damage per shot as the Lever Action Rifle. It seems to do less (I want to say the 60%-70% damage of a LAR bullet. Need confirmation. Can someone check the RAW files?)

TO DO:

I just got FRAPS recently, as well as virtualdub. I'm working on learning some video editing as well. Would anyone be interested in having me upload some videos of certain techniques like scrake stunlocking, or pre loading alt fires when running at a specimen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Updated the guide again.
You might wanna rewrite "The Machete and the Crossbow/Hunting Shotgun" to "Katana and the Crossbow" which is actually viable on open maps as the crossbow one-shot kill sirens and have the potential to take out several crawlers with one bolt - even when they are hiding behind other zombies(!)

You might also wanna add Katana+Chainsaw as a viable combination (maybe mostly for closed maps such as office) and Katana+Bullpup(or AK47)+Handcannons.

Upvote 0
You might wanna rewrite "The Machete and the Crossbow/Hunting Shotgun" to "Katana and the Crossbow" which is actually viable on open maps as the crossbow one-shot kill sirens and have the potential to take out several crawlers with one bolt - even when they are hiding behind other zombies(!)

You might also wanna add Katana+Chainsaw as a viable combination (maybe mostly for closed maps such as office) and Katana+Bullpup(or AK47)+Handcannons.

Not a bad idea. The machete is pretty much a garbage tier weapon nowadays, and should be replaced with the katana in all situations.

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea. The machete is pretty much a garbage tier weapon nowadays, and should be replaced with the katana in all situations.

The same is true of the Fire Axe, actually. The Machete, Fire Axe, and Combat Knife are all good for absolutely nothing once you get the proper funding. And seeing how at Levels 3 and 4, the Katana only costs around $250 more than the Fire Axe, that isn't that big of a difference.

I wonder what they're gonna do, if anything, to make the Fire Axe and Machete viable. The Fire Axe would need to get a beefy damage boost (And maybe a slight cost increase to compensate) so it can remain the "Slow and powerful" weapon instead of the "Not as powerful as the Katana, but a crapton slower... As for the Machete...I dunno. It's REALLY looking like a lost cause for it. The Katana is the Machete 2.0 in every way including cool-factor...

Upvote 0
The same is true of the Fire Axe, actually. The Machete, Fire Axe, and Combat Knife are all good for absolutely nothing once you get the proper funding. And seeing how at Levels 3 and 4, the Katana only costs around $250 more than the Fire Axe, that isn't that big of a difference.

I wonder what they're gonna do, if anything, to make the Fire Axe and Machete viable. The Fire Axe would need to get a beefy damage boost (And maybe a slight cost increase to compensate) so it can remain the "Slow and powerful" weapon instead of the "Not as powerful as the Katana, but a crapton slower... As for the Machete...I dunno. It's REALLY looking like a lost cause for it. The Katana is the Machete 2.0 in every way including cool-factor...

I was thinking of a way to make the axe better, make it cause bleeding damage. An axe can cause some really gaping, ugly wounds that bleed a lot, though I think I was actually inspired by the characters occasionally saying "Stitch this!" when they take out the fire axe. So while it still wouldn't do as much damage as the katana and still be slower, it would gain some use. For example, you could hit a gorefast and miss the decap, but he would bleed to death after a couple moments. Obviously the katana would still be better as it would just outright kill them, but then, it's supposed to be better, at least this would offer a slightly different way of playing. Give another meaning to hit and run xP

Upvote 0
As berserker I find Machete good if I find one at wave 1 (faster running speed than my chainsaw so i can kill steal easier. Not too shabby as primary attack kill clots even if i miss their head, it let me decap bloats before they barf and alt fire kill gorefasts even if i miss their head).

I also pick them up to sell them at the vendor...

Other than that? Nope - it just take up space on the trader menu. Might as well remove it from the game now that we have a 3 block katana. Same with fire-axe really, but for non-berserkers katana and chainsaw cost quite allot. Not everyone can afford it. Fire-axe still have some potential use, until you get the founding...?

Upvote 0
I'll be updating this guide slowly over time since the new patch came out. I've got a lot of work ahead of me since there is a new specimen, the existing specimens got buffed/headshot hitboxes fixed/etc, and now there are SEVEN new guns. Phew! That leaves a lot of new weapon combinations I have to experiment with, as well as figuring out new effective tactics.

Sit tight, I'll be updating this throughout the week during downtime at work!

Upvote 0
Might wanna note that they gimped the chainsaw to hell damage-wise and now the Katana is superior in every single way.

They also took out the Katana's auto-fire, making this into a clickspam perk. This, coupled with everyone else getting weapons to take out FPs/Scrakes far, far faster than you can, makes Berserker almost obselete at this point...

Upvote 0
Might wanna note that they gimped the chainsaw to hell damage-wise and now the Katana is superior in every single way.

They also took out the Katana's auto-fire, making this into a clickspam perk. This, coupled with everyone else getting weapons to take out FPs/Scrakes far, far faster than you can, makes Berserker almost obselete at this point...

It's not that they gimped the chainsaw damage-wise; they buffed the hell out of everything's health to compensate for the new guns.

I would definitely say you're 100% wrong about the Berserker being obsolete at this point. The Berserker is basically a total tank now, especially at rank 6. 25% resistance to all damage and 80% resistance to bloat bile makes you pretty hard to kill. Play with a 3 to 6 star rated medic and you're basically not going to die even when tanking a fleshpound for the team.

I am pretty disappointed with the chainsaw now though. You move way too slow and with the addition of the Husk in wave 2, the chainsaw becomes very lackluster at that point.

Upvote 0
It's not that they gimped the chainsaw damage-wise; they buffed the hell out of everything's health to compensate for the new guns.

I would definitely say you're 100% wrong about the Berserker being obsolete at this point. The Berserker is basically a total tank now, especially at rank 6. 25% resistance to all damage and 80% resistance to bloat bile makes you pretty hard to kill. Play with a 3 to 6 star rated medic and you're basically not going to die even when tanking a fleshpound for the team.

I am pretty disappointed with the chainsaw now though. You move way too slow and with the addition of the Husk in wave 2, the chainsaw becomes very lackluster at that point.

Chainsaw vs Katana debates are over, as the chainsaw is pretty much garbage right now...

This is my personal opinion, but I HATE the removal of the auto-attacking as well. You have to mash the buttons to do constant attacks with the chainsaw alt-fire and ANY of the other melee weapons' attacks. When there's a horde of specimens around, it's inconvenient...

But against a Fleshpound/Scrake, it's absolutely frustrating! You have to mash the button until it dies. Time after time. Instead of just holding it down for a few seconds. What a ham-fisted attempt at a nerf...

Upvote 0
This is my personal opinion, but I HATE the removal of the auto-attacking as well. You have to mash the buttons to do constant attacks with the chainsaw alt-fire and ANY of the other melee weapons' attacks. When there's a horde of specimens around, it's inconvenient...

Uhm, chainsaw altfire and any melee weapon cept the katana is still automatic.

Upvote 0
Uhm, chainsaw altfire and any melee weapon cept the katana is still automatic.

It wasn't last time I checked. I could be wrong. Oh well. Shows how much I've been playing Berserker lately. I find it hard to justify being one when it serves almost no distinct role.

I can be a medic and tank for the team better than a Zerker due to crazy, cheap armor and being able to heal myself 50 HP per heal (Plus heal teammates crazy fast!) and get a FASTER movespeed while using ANY weapon!

Or be a Sharpshooter and deal with Scrakes/FPs faster than I could ever dream of as a Zerker...(Not to mention sweeping everything else!).

Or be a Demoman and smack down groups instantly and bomb FPs.

Or I could be a Zerker who does almost nothing but take damage and desperately clickspam to try and take out Scrakes. It really, really shows how ham-fisted of a nerf taking away the Katana auto-attack really was!

Last edited:
Upvote 0