• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To everyone complaining about the zoom being unrealistic

Upvote 0
You guys are missing something.

The centre of your eye IS more sensitive than your surrounding vision, a computer monitor is the same resolution across the entire screen. This is not an accurate representation of how the eye works. The ability to see more detail directly in the centre of your focus is realistic.

In the middle of the retina is a small dimple called the fovea or fovea centralis. It is the center of the eye's sharpest vision and the location of most color perception.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/retina.html

If the human eye was a digital camera, how many megapixels would it have?

Clarkvision does the calculations.

The answer: 576 megapixels.

Impressive job -- I wish I had thought to do that. Note that their calculations require a bit of fudging: the fovea actually covers just a tiny bit of the visual field; the eye must move from point to point in order to assemble an image this detailed.

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2006/10/what_is_the_resolution_of_the.php

Upvote 0
I keep saying that the ZOOM in RO2 is unjoyable. Too much campers and
you don`t need a sniper.

I am waiting on a server where zoom is forbidden. Then you get the RO1
playstyle back again. That everybody is assaulting again.

Take a assault rifle, click for ironview = Zoom then press the key for
breath and then you zoom more. Come on this isn`t realistic.

Upvote 0
I keep saying that the ZOOM in RO2 is unjoyable. Too much campers and
you don`t need a sniper.

I am waiting on a server where zoom is forbidden. Then you get the RO1
playstyle back again. That everybody is assaulting again.

Take a assault rifle, click for ironview = Zoom then press the key for
breath and then you zoom more. Come on this isn`t realistic.

As I said I don't like the Zoom either. But in fact people are assaulting more now than in RO1... RO1 was far more about camping (at least DH was)

Upvote 0
Zoom is lame, unrealistic, its for kids not for real men. As I play RO2 it reminds me of cod, more and more. We even have infamous last stand perk and retarded headshot noises.
Case closed

Eloquently put, brilliantly constructed, and nicely encompasses the entire anti-zoom argument.

I'm done arguing this. You guys aren't going to see anything that runs counter to what you think is realistic and you're pissed because all those pixel hunting, sway negating skills you spent years perfecting in RO1 don't help you in RO2.

I just hope you guys get ignored by TWI and they don't try to fix what isn't broken to appease their thick-headed fanbase.

Upvote 0
Eloquently put, brilliantly constructed, and nicely encompasses the entire anti-zoom argument.

I'm done arguing this. You guys aren't going to see anything that runs counter to what you think is realistic and you're pissed because all those pixel hunting, sway negating skills you spent years perfecting in RO1 don't help you in RO2.

I just hope you guys get ignored by TWI and they don't try to fix what isn't broken to appease their thick-headed fanbase.

Bye? :eek:

Upvote 0
I like the zoom feature, as I feel it makes the gameplay more fun.

However, I have to make an argument against the logic for including it presented here:

"As you can see, the camera (like the human eye) blurs out the rifle and focuses on the target farther down range."

A person who fires while focusing on the target is going to be a bad shot. To fire accurately, your complete focus should be on the iron sights. The target should be blurry, the rifle should be blurry- only the iron sights clear. Of course, I can't recall ever playing a game that played like this, as people want their game to look good and not blurry. But the argument that the human eye focuses on a target is not a good one, as only an inexperienced shooter would do that (with iron sights at least).

Upvote 0
I like the zoom feature, as I feel it makes the gameplay more fun.

However, I have to make an argument against the logic for including it presented here:

"As you can see, the camera (like the human eye) blurs out the rifle and focuses on the target farther down range."

A person who fires while focusing on the target is going to be a bad shot. To fire accurately, your complete focus should be on the iron sights. The target should be blurry, the rifle should be blurry- only the iron sights clear. Of course, I can't recall ever playing a game that played like this, as people want their game to look good and not blurry. But the argument that the human eye focuses on a target is not a good one, as only an inexperienced shooter would do that (with iron sights at least).

I'm not saying your wrong, as I'm not sure, but I was always taught to look past the ironsights at the target. As long as the elevation on the ironsights is correct, just place the blur over the target and fire.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying your wrong, as I'm not sure, but I was always taught to look past the ironsights at the target. As long as the elevation on the ironsights is correct, just place the blur over the target and fire.

I very well could be wrong, or perhaps there are different opinions out there. I know a lot of highly competitive shooters who all taught me to do it the way I said last post and it definitely improved my performance drastically. The problem, from what I understand, is that pointing a clear iron sight at a blur is easier than pointing a blurred iron sight at a clear target when you take into consideration that even a slight misalignment of the sights can cause you to miss your mark. I'm not a great shooter or anything, but a lot of competitive shooters I know correct me for focusing on the target too much. Some go as far as to say that I shouldn't focus on my target until my magazine is empty, which works out better than it would sound - it is very unintuitive but I can't argue with the results.

Still, I like the zoom feature because the human eye sees things in much better than 1080p. A game that is judged by realism shouldn't be judged solely by the mechanics but the effect that those mechanics has on the big picture. No, the human eye doesn't magically zoom in, but by allowing the zoom in, the firefights take place at much more realistic ranges than any other FPS I've played.

Upvote 0

Hmm, that's not how I was taught to do it. If you have both eyes open, you can focus on the whole field with one eye, while the other sights the rifle. I know it sounds impossible, but try it. It takes practice doing it for real, but you can do it. It basically looks like it does in-game, except you have a wider field of view, the rifle is offset a bit, and your head is tilted slightly.

Your way may be much more precise, but that is for target shooting. The target doesn't move. If the guy is moving and he is just a blur, how can you track him? If you have one eye closed, and the other eye's vision obscured by the rifle, how are you supposed to see any threats?

This is why I get a little pissed at the RO1 crowd. They complain about sway, which in this game is higher than reality, if anything, but never even mention the fact the world doesn't tilt slightly when you're aiming.

No one ever complains that you can't adjust your height to any level you prefer. No one ever complains that it should be easier to track outboard than inboard. If you're a right handed shooter, it's harder to track a target moving from right to left, than left to right, because you can turn more freely, around a wider arc, to your right. (Just a note: That's why if you are surprised on the run, you try to run behind his back. It's harder for him to track you in that direction.)

All soldiers should be able to fire the weapon effectively from any hand so that when shooting around cover, they can always expose the least amount of body to the enemy. No one ever complains about not being able to swap hands.

The people who have never done it always complain about the stuff that is totally unimportant if they want "realism" because they actually don't. They want protection.

From players like me.

The REAL thing soldiers do to stay alive on the battlefield are impossible in a game. They know this. They just prefer to ignore it when it suits them. When realism makes it easier for them to get kills. Realism it is. When it makes it easier for them to die: "That's not realistic... I was there man! Oh, Um... Well I saw it in a documentary last week..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0