• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To everyone complaining about the zoom being unrealistic

Josef Nader

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
I wrote this up for another thread, but it's on page 11 or some such where nobody will ever see it. I think it deserves it's own thread, as it very clearly defines why the zoom is both realistic and important:

Right, the wordy explanation.

First off, a real set of ironsights and what it looks like looking down those sights:

1001228mediumyp7.jpg

As you can see, the camera (like the human eye) blurs out the rifle and focuses on the target farther down range. The human eye performs a similar feat, bringing distant features into focus. However, it is impossible for a computer monitor to provide the proper depth of field. Even if we're trying to aim at a target far away in game, our real human eyes are still focusing on a computer monitor less than 2 feet in front of them. Without zoom, we end up pixel hunting, like in ROOST:

8-2880_2.jpg

We have no way to focus on targets in the distance, and so everything looks zoomed out. It's very difficult to judge in-game distances. 50m feels like 100m, 100m feels like 200m, and 200m feels like 500m. It skews our perceptions and makes it impossible to pull off real-life shots in the game engine. So, the developers of yore added weapon sway and bullet spread to compensate for the limited sight (and engagement) distances. It was hardly a realistic solution, but it worked for the time.

In comes RO2:

20110819130756.jpg

Now take a good hard look at these pictures and tell me which one is most accurately simulating the real human eye. To make up for the fact that we're still looking at a monitor 2 feet away from our heads, the camera zooms in, bringing distant targets into focus like our real, human eyes would at those distances. Zoomed out, the game is trying to give us peripheral vision, but when we take aim it sacrifices the peripheral to accurately represent visual distances.

Are you starting to understand now?

So then why does it give you the option of holding down shift to zoom in?

i mean if the realistic thing is for it to be zoomed in, why doesnt it just do that as soon as you hit ADS?

Because your soldier isn't holding his breath for a shot until you hold shift. It just adds another, temporary level of precision to your shot.

Face it, hoss. You can't argue with pictures.

Upvote 0
Because your soldier isn't holding his breath for a shot until you hold shift. It just adds another, temporary level of precision to your shot.

Face it, hoss. You can't argue with pictures.
I agree that the regular level of zoom is pretty accurate. I do not, however, agree with the extra level of sprint-zoom, as it magnifies your target far too much. Controlling your breathing is about reducing weapon sway -- NOT gaining an extra 2x magical zoom.

Upvote 0
Your explanation has nothing to do with why zooming is realistic. Zooming does not represent your eye bringing things into focus. Zooming decreases the field of view of your in game camera to a value closer to that of the field of view you would have if you were looking at the world through a 17-22" window held about a foot away from you.

Why zooming is realistic has already been proven from day one, so can we stop making these threads every few days?

Upvote 0
I have this same problem with ArmA 2. It's hard to aim at long distance targets with the normal FOV, I always zoom in to have a better picture of the ironsights and the target.

Some complain that having a zoom function on all weapons destroys any purpose of the sniper rifles, but it's not true because aiming with the ironsights is different than using a scope. With a scope you have clear reticle and the zoom is 3.5-4x (standard issue scopes) and 6x (unlockable) as it was IRL, so you should have more zoom than with the plain ironsights since, from what I saw, it equals a 2x zoom.

Upvote 0
I agree that the regular level of zoom is pretty accurate. I do not, however, agree with the extra level of sprint-zoom, as it magnifies your target far too much. Controlling your breathing is about reducing weapon sway -- NOT gaining an extra 2x magical zoom.

There are three stages of focus:

Peripheral - Normal movement focus. Screen zoomed out to represent peripheral vision.

Sighting - Bringing the rifle up and scanning for targets (your eyes are at a more generalized range, trying to stay focused on as many different distances as possible)

Firing - Shift-zoom. Your breath steadies, your target is clearly in sight, and you get tunnel vision as your eyes block out everything but your target. Again, the game can't realistically represent tunnel vision, focused breathing, and the shooter's concentration, so it gives us another layer of zoom to help represent the increased precision we would get from shooting properly.

Not to mention that you lose all semblance of peripheral vision when you shift-zoom, meaning it's quite easy to get shot by an enemy rifleman you WEREN'T focusing on.

If you ask me, it represents the moment before the shot quite well.

Upvote 0
Your explanation has nothing to do with why zooming is realistic. Zooming does not represent your eye bringing things into focus. Zooming decreases the field of view of your in game camera to a value closer to that of the field of view you would have if you were looking at the world through a 17-22" window held about a foot away from you.

Why zooming is realistic has already been proven from day one, so can we stop making these threads every few days?

Did you read the OP? That's exactly what I said. It compensates for our eyes being unable to focus on game objects, as they are focusing on our computer monitors. So, it compensates for that by enlarging the area we want to shoot at so that we may more accurately pick out details that we could normally pick out in real life unaided.

Upvote 0
to me, it appears as if the only thing that is really clear, is the sight on the end of the rifle...everything around this small focal point is somewhat blurred. NOT magnified and perfectly clear, as in ro2's zoom.

is the zoom button actually a buttom that makes your character open his eyes wider....lol. you can be taking cover, not even aiming down sight..and then hit the zoom button and see things clearer terminator2 style. not sure why the whole zoom things was added in....but whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is set that way by default... Default key for zoom is "Shift."

Love your sig, by the way. I squee'd inside and my e-peen grew another inch or two. ;D

to me, it appears as if the only thing that is really clear, is the sight on the end of the rifle...everything around this small focal point is somewhat blurred. NOT magnified and perfectly clear, as in ro2's zoom.

is the zoom button actually a buttom that makes your character open his eyes wider....lol. you can be taking cover, not even aiming down sight..and then hit the zoom button and see things clearer terminator2 style. not sure why the whole zoom things was added in....but whatever.

Read the thread. It represents focusing. Because our eyes won't focus on the 3D terrain in-game, the screen has to zoom to show us what we would be able to see in real life. It's just like focusing on a particular area. Your eyes adjust for that distance and everything else blurs. The computer can't model this, so the zoom is the compromise it has to make.

Upvote 0