• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In-game sounds ?

Sojuz

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2008
It's not only you Sojuz.

Compare your video to this

Red Orchestra 2: HoS - Squad Leader on Fallen Fighters - YouTube

- weapons, explosions don't sound so strong like in old RO
- music is louder than artillery or ambient sound (during WWII soldiers didn't have MP3 player on their ears)
- there is a lot of random chatter which reminds me CoD game
- that chatter is in English...

These are immersion breakers. For me HoS doesn't represent a real war, but some kind of movie action from WWII. It feels like very "soft", polite and casual representation of battlefield.
Well, it's not first thread where community points out wrong designer decisions. I wonder why TWI decided to change something that worked very well in their previous game.

Upvote 0
Silent footsteps in RO2 is indeed beyond ridiculous. This is basic FPS 101 stuff here, guys. Honestly, how can you get this so wrong.

Aaanyway, enough of the rage, time to be constructive.

Let's first establish what we do hear:-
- One's own footsteps, sound being representative of the floor material.
- Enemy 'shuffle' sounds even when out of sight (incl. behind).
- All screaming and shouting.

And now on to what we don't hear:-
- Footsteps that are not your own, period. Not a sound; silence, even when in clear view.

It has been mentioned before that hidden footsteps aren't being heard due to network relevancy: the client doesn't know what kind of surface that the hidden enemy is standing on thus it elects to play no footfall sound at all. (I don't know if this is technically correct, this is just as I understand it now.) However, the shooting, reloading, heavy breathing, shouting and shuffle sound effects are still being played so some sort of network relevancy is being achieved for hidden movement. The obvious (!) fix for this being that for hidden movement, be that friend or foe, play a 'neutral material' footfall sound effect until the client is aware of the surface whereupon the proper footfall sound effect is played.

No-one needs me to harp on about how silly it is to be shivved up from behind for the umpteenth time by a silent ninja running full tilt across a wooden floor, or how all of a sudden six blokes charge out from behind a wall as if they'd all been teleported in hitting the ground running at that exact moment (spawn points excepted). This needs to be resolved ASAP as much like the recent team loadout changes it will have a dramatic effect on improving the game play for all. Call it a low hanging fruit fix if you will.

Upvote 0
including enemy team leader radio communications (calling in arty/recon) and enemy taunts also as a radio effect.
True. If you want to list everything that's inconsistent with the RO2 sounds then that's fine. YMMV but for me the silent footsteps is by far and away the most glaring of the current audio faults (w/ silent grenade blasts in the next room being a close second). I could probably live with the 'radio taunts' if it meant fixing silent footfalls and nades.

Upvote 0
True. If you want to list everything that's inconsistent with the RO2 sounds then that's fine. YMMV but for me the silent footsteps is by far and away the most glaring of the current audio faults (w/ silent grenade blasts in the next room being a close second). I could probably live with the 'radio taunts' if it meant fixing silent footfalls and nades.
yeah it's a matter of personal priorities, but in my world both issues will be fixed eventually.

while I do agree that not hearing the enemy as you should is a big gameplay problem, the radio chatter in general is one of the big immersion breakers for me. this means that even when I'm doing good and have some fun playing the game I have to cringe because apparently I'm a modified supersoldier with a retina UAV uplink who just hacked into the enemy's comlink...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Silent footsteps in RO2 is indeed beyond ridiculous. This is basic FPS 101 stuff here, guys. Honestly, how can you get this so wrong.

Aaanyway, enough of the rage, time to be constructive.

Let's first establish what we do hear:-
- One's own footsteps, sound being representative of the floor material.
- Enemy 'shuffle' sounds even when out of sight (incl. behind).
- All screaming and shouting.

And now on to what we don't hear:-
- Footsteps that are not your own, period. Not a sound; silence, even when in clear view.

It has been mentioned before that hidden footsteps aren't being heard due to network relevancy: the client doesn't know what kind of surface that the hidden enemy is standing on thus it elects to play no footfall sound at all. (I don't know if this is technically correct, this is just as I understand it now.) However, the shooting, reloading, heavy breathing, shouting and shuffle sound effects are still being played so some sort of network relevancy is being achieved for hidden movement. The obvious (!) fix for this being that for hidden movement, be that friend or foe, play a 'neutral material' footfall sound effect until the client is aware of the surface whereupon the proper footfall sound effect is played.

No-one needs me to harp on about how silly it is to be shivved up from behind for the umpteenth time by a silent ninja running full tilt across a wooden floor, or how all of a sudden six blokes charge out from behind a wall as if they'd all been teleported in hitting the ground running at that exact moment (spawn points excepted). This needs to be resolved ASAP as much like the recent team loadout changes it will have a dramatic effect on improving the game play for all. Call it a low hanging fruit fix if you will.

I can relate to your rage. I remember playin Counter Strike 1.3, ond going, "nice, I can hear enemies walking around". That was like 13 years ago.

Upvote 0
Well, sounds are bugged at the moment, with a lot of sounds missing in-game that was present in the beta, so they might have been meant to resemble the sounds of the first video.

I remember I was very impressed by the soundscape in the beta, but presently sounds now appears very sparse and monotonous.

Upvote 0

One other glaring issue with sound at the moment is of sound occlusion not working reliably.

It tends to be inside buildings, if someone is in a room to the side of you, often shouts are muffled as well as gunshots.

However, often sounds from floors above and below AREN'T muffled, so you can hear gunshots that seem to be coming from the next room, when they're actually coming from below you.

This both hurts situational awareness AND immersion through sounds, since you can often hear gunshots as if they're right next to you, even though they're actually through a foot of concrete.

It would also be nice if footsteps in rooms above you, sounded different to footsteps in rooms below, since on wooden floors footsteps are going to be much more audible when they're above you than below.

Also there seems to be little difference in occlusion no matter what the material type.

For example, in the grain elevator, with its thick concrete walls, things sound as muffled as in the Apartments with its thin wooden/plaster walls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I turn off the imgame music all the time.

But hell yeah!

Where is the sound of your (and from your mates) equipment when you are running? metall at metall? etc.

And the MG-42 sound is really nice (and very realistic, too. i have shot with the MG-3 a lot of times)

The weapon sounds are to weak, too. Especially for all bolt rifles.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=974131#post974131

The sounds in RO2 need a lot of work, because sound is one of the most important things for a good atmosphere.

Upvote 0