• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In-game sounds ?

At the start of a game I do hear the footfalls of my brothers in arms infront, to the sides and from behind. I've even dashed behind a wall to face the opposite direction to see if I can still hear them all run off, and I can. However, very shortly after that point I hear no footfalls at all for the remainder of the round. I don't see how this can be hardware related; it must be something that the game is doing.

I will do the .ini dance (again) as everything is worth trying twice if it means a chance of getting the sounds back, because it's downright difficult fighting this many silent ninja stalkers.

After doing some testing it seems other player footfalls on gravel works, but on all other surfaces it doesn't make any sound. Gravel seems to be the preferred surface of choice for spawn areas in many maps.

I just did the .ini and unfortunately it made no difference. I even experienced with setting up a quadrophonic sound system I had laying around (as opposed to the normal headset plugged into amp), but the sounds are still missing.

Upvote 0
what an odd thread. i still hear the footsteps. even when my sound bugs out, i still can hear my own.
not sure how you want me to prove it though. i'm no good at capturing video and playing it back. why do you think people are lying when they say they can hear the footsteps anyway?

edit. i'm using the realtek onboard sound set at 8 channels. i think i even have the sound set to low since i've been having sound crashes. why i hear footsteps when otheres say they don't is beyond me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After doing some testing it seems other player footfalls on gravel works, but on all other surfaces it doesn't make any sound. Gravel seems to be the preferred surface of choice for spawn areas in many maps.
Interesting (and the footfalls of team mates that I do hear at only the start of a round are the crunchy ones - gravel, I suppose). Do you happen to know which maps probably don't start on gravel? Worth testing further.

Upvote 0
Interesting (and the footfalls of team mates that I do hear at only the start of a round are the crunchy ones - gravel, I suppose). Do you happen to know which maps probably don't start on gravel? Worth testing further.

I think all materials work. It still remains a relevancy problem. Once someone walks to another room, where you can't see him, the engine will say that player is not relevant for you. When he is coming back, and becoming relevant, the footsteps aren't getting enabled again and the player remains silent. Ok, not completely silent because you always hear the uniform rustling.

Edit: read this http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=966267&postcount=28

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think all materials work. It still remains a relevancy problem. Once someone walks to another room, where you can't see him, the engine will say that player is not relevant for you. When he is coming back, and becoming relevant, the footsteps aren't getting enabled again and the player remains silent. Ok, not completely silent because you always hear the uniform rustling.

Edit: read this http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=966267&postcount=28

Yeah. I read that when he posted it the first time. But I am a little doubtful about that being the full explanation since that is not symptoms I recognise in my testings.

I just spent half an hour testing this again, following other players around (I must have looked like a fool, running at the heels of a lot of players turning in their direction as they run), and I must confirm my earlier statement: There are no friendly or enemy footsteps on any surface except gravel, and perhaps stairs (I will need some further testing to confirm this). This is tested with players straight in front of me, clearly visible and up close.

For example on Grain Elevator, most surfaces are concrete or pavement, and no players make any footstep noises, except on that small patch of earth/gravel between the allied spawns behind the grain elevator itself, and possibly on stairs or other small or exceptionable mateirals (I only heard this while spectating, not while playing myself).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Edit: read this [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=966267&postcount=28[/URL]
Right, yes, that's how I understood it. The bit that I'm baffled by is clearly the presence of an enemy is relevant because you can hear the quiet shuffling sound that they make. Why not just bolt on a neutral material footfall sound effect on top of the rustling sound? Not an ideal fix but surely that has to be better than no footsteps at all.

Upvote 0
I'll try to summarize what I did to get all sounds working since the release.
The first issue of course was abrupt sound loss. It ocurred even with my realtek chip.
I finally replaced my X-fi extreme gamer card with the newer titanium. No more sound stoppage. I compared the quality with my realtek 7:1 chip. With realtek, sound works ok, but there is a HUGE ambience loss. I use nothing but the titanium. I then looked into the arguments about certain sounds being lost or missing. Based on what I read in this very forum, I changed config.ini settings to assure 128 channel untilization and high quality rendering. This way, the setting tools are bypassed and should not change unless you blow out your .ini files.

That's it. I have yet to hear about a sound I do not get rendered. Here's one for the books. Yesterday I was Playing on the 50pc TaT collaboration server. 64 man.

I had shot down an enemy soldier who rushed in through a doorway. I was lying on the floor. The body fell next to me. As I waited for the next person to burst in I heard a trickling / dripping sound next to me. Thinking it was blood flowing from the corpse, I looked over to the body, and realized the corpse was exhibiting bladder release and saw a distinct yellow white liquid was being released on the floor from the body. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. The Devs can feel free to corroborate this possibility. Anyone else seen it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll try to summarize what I did to get all sounds working since the release.
The first issue of course was abrupt sound loss. It ocurred even with my realtek chip.
I finally replaced my X-fi extreme gamer card with the newer titanium. No more sound stoppage. I compared the quality with my realtek 7:1 chip. With realtek, sound works ok, but there is a HUGE ambience loss. I use nothing but the titanium. I then looked into the arguments about certain sounds being lost or missing. Based on what I read in this very forum, I changed config.ini settings to assure 128 channel untilization and high quality rendering. This way, the setting tools are bypassed and should not change unless you blow out your .ini files.

That's it. I have yet to hear about a sound I do not get rendered. Here's one for the books. Yesterday I was Playing on the 50pc TaT collaboration server. 64 man.

I had shot down an enemy soldier who rushed in through a doorway. I was lying on the floor. The body fell next to me. As I waited for the next person to burst in I heard a trickling / dripping sound next to me. Thinking it was blood flowing from the corpse, I looked over to the body, and realized the corpse was exhibiting bladder release and saw a distinct yellow white liquid was being released on the floor from the body. If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. The Devs can feel free to corroborate this possibility. Anyone else seen it?

Pic?

Upvote 0
Which config.ini file?

In /Documents/my games/redorchestra2/ROGame/config/
you will find a file called ROEngine.

In it you will find these headers:

[XAudio2.XAudio2Device]
MaxChannels=128
CommonAudioPoolSize=0
MinCompressedDurationGame=5.000000
MinCompressedDurationEditor=4.000000
LowPassFilterResonance=0.900000
ChirpInSoundNodeWaveName=
ChirpOutSoundNodeWaveName=

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=128
CommonAudioPoolSize=0
MinCompressedDurationGame=5
MinCompressedDurationEditor=4
LowPassFilterResonance=0.9
//DeviceName=Generic Software

The MaxChannels setting governs the audio channes rendered IF...
you audio equipt will support that many. You can edit this with notepad.

Upvote 0
In /Documents/my games/redorchestra2/ROGame/config/
you will find a file called ROEngine.

In it you will find these headers:

[XAudio2.XAudio2Device]
MaxChannels=128
CommonAudioPoolSize=0
MinCompressedDurationGame=5.000000
MinCompressedDurationEditor=4.000000
LowPassFilterResonance=0.900000
ChirpInSoundNodeWaveName=
ChirpOutSoundNodeWaveName=

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=128
CommonAudioPoolSize=0
MinCompressedDurationGame=5
MinCompressedDurationEditor=4
LowPassFilterResonance=0.9
//DeviceName=Generic Software

The MaxChannels setting governs the audio channes rendered IF...
you audio equipt will support that many. You can edit this with notepad.

Thanks. I have no idea how many channels my current system can handle, as it is the generic card that came with the rig, and at the time the sound card was at the least of my concern, but I will dabble around with it and see what works out.

Upvote 0
Okay, I tried it last night...

Allowed the game to recreate the .ini files - no change.

I manually adjusted the .inis to more channels (64 & 128), quality and various other suggested tweaks found elsewhere on the forum - no change.

Tweaked a few system sound settings (forcing stereo etc.) - no change.

Situation is as before: Hear footsteps from allies all around at the start of a round but very soon after no footsteps (other than one's own) are ever heard, be they hidden or visible, friendly or enemy movements.

Upvote 0
hippo_bump.jpg

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be pretty awesome if games have a sound equalizer built in? Or atleast a function for you to make certain sounds louder than other's (with caps on this and not total freedom so people couldn't use LOUD footsteps to there advantage)

But for some one who wants there gun shots to have more bass vs some one who wants there music just as loud as there gun shots, but quit footsteps.

Maybe I'm thinking to hard but you get the point.....right?

Reactions: Sojuz
Upvote 0