• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In-game sounds ?

Just noticed this thread and have to agree 100% regarding the footsteps (or lack of). This is really a frustrating issue for me.
It's like playing older RO games with the sound off.

I think someone else made a post explaining a reason why we have no footsteps, but if the technical reason is as described, I wouldnt mind a generic footstep sound rather than silence.

Upvote 0
:confused:

There was quite a bit posted on this subject in threads here weeks ago.
After reading this thread, I'll just point out some stuff, and then flee before the rocks and vegetables come out. I listened to all these vids. I don't hear anything here that departs from what I hear in game, except for the first one. That fellow seems to be using an EAX feature that adds depth or size to the environment. It's not overly dramatic, but its noticeable.
I'd guess he using one of X-fi cards.

What I'm going to point out here can be found elsewhere in this same site
--if you look for it.

In no particular order:

The setting on your audio slider can make a significant difference in the number and types of sounds you may hear. This has been coroborrated by others.

The slider has or had a defect which might now be corrected which did not allow a setting higher than 32 channels. The work-around is to change the associated settings in the config files --assuming your chosen sound system can support more. a 128 channel setting is possible.
I often hear birds. Crunchy footsteps in snow have never been absent for me.

I can tell you from personal experience that there is a HUGE difference in
ambience and depth betwixt a 7:1 Realtek on-board chip and most advanced PCI/PCI-e sound cards. I have both, and I've compared. No contest.

It is also entirely possibe to get sound from RO2 with a usb headset with
both your soundcard and/or your motherboard chip turned off. This proves the assertion that the RO2 sound engine is rendered through the cpu. But your slider setting and your chosen sound source will still make a vast diffrence in what you hear.

There ARE going to be big diffrences in each persons sound experience depending on what you choose to employ. Experiment. But I will assure you, that all these sounds are available with the kind of quality in those vids should you choose to take the steps to make them happen.

Now... Im going to step away quickly.

Upvote 0
I should think so. Mine have been set to high and 128 channels for a long while. But keep in mind that not all equipment may support 128 channels. Many sound cards do
though. You won't "break anything by trying. If the slider does not go beyond 32 channels, then do a search on the forum for 128 channel audio. There is a config file setting which will bypass the slider issue.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
Just tried your suggestion (128 channels and set the Sound Quality to high).
I am still not hearing footsteps (even tried turning my volume up much higher incease they were just really quiet noises).
Same. I was running on High/128 channel from the first moment of installation and there were no footstep sounds back then. I recently reduced the quality and channels to 32, no footsteps. I've just tried upping everything again, still no footsteps for hidden enemy. Nevertheless it was worth another try.

Upvote 0
Just tried your suggestion (128 channels and set the Sound Quality to high).
I am still not hearing footsteps (even tried turning my volume up much higher incease they were just really quiet noises).

Then at this point I can only assure you that the sounds are both possible and being enjoyed by others. You heard the videos. Now your task is to find our why they are not being rendered on your system. The only difference between you and those that experience full audio will be hardware, and possibly O/S.

Reactions: Needles
Upvote 0
Then at this point I can only assure you that the sounds are both possible and being enjoyed by others. You heard the videos. Now your task is to find our why they are not being rendered on your system. The only difference between you and those that experience full audio will be hardware, and possibly O/S.
Not quite our task really now is it*. If every other FPS in my gaming history can get this right out-of-the-box then why would I expect anything less from RO2? I use onboard Realtek sound and I've tried every possible tweak to no avail. If footsteps really are only possible with certain hardware/OS configs then the sound system in RO2 is even more fundamentally flawed than I first feared.

* However, people who can hear hidden footsteps could help narrow down the fault by posting their config details.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Footsteps worked in the beta. I doubt anyone experiences footsteps because I'm pretty sure tripwire disabled them to save network overhead. So whoever says he can hear the footsteps, proof it!

No proof needed... you are in denial. All our players HEAR the footsteps. :IS2:

Upvote 0
If this is true then RO2 is seriously f__ked from a fairness point of view. Not being able to hear anyone move that you can't see, whilst others can, is a big a$$ disadvantage.

Sport, please understand this; We hear all the sounds. if someone's setup is deficient or lacking, everyone else should not have to suffer the same short comings just to even a playing field.

I and our regulars are enjoying RO2 to no end since the last patch. Our only wish is to be able to remove the bayos and use melee weapon stock smack instead.

Upvote 0
No proof needed... you are in denial. All our players HEAR the footsteps. :IS2:

Well, I can't proof the opposite. Proof it and don't just throw something in you then even don't want to back up with proof because that's just silly.

Hey guys, for me rohos is realistic and free of bugs. It might be your setup why it doesn't work for you...

I and our regulars are enjoying RO2 to no end since the last patch. Our only wish is to be able to remove the bayos and use melee weapon stock smack instead.
That works for me with my setup. Just believe me, because I wont proof my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: yankee and worluk
Upvote 0
Sport, please understand this; We hear all the sounds. if someone's setup is deficient or lacking, everyone else should not have to suffer the same short comings just to even a playing field.
Interesting that you use the word sport when clearly there is nothing sporting about this at all. Lucky for you then if you do hear hidden footsteps, but a heck of a lot of other people don't.

For the record, my system isn't lacking or deficient. Every other UE3 FPS I've ever played works just fine in the audio stakes thank you very much, so why would I expect RO2 to be any different.

Either way, the folks who do hear footsteps are in for a world of pain when the rest of us are able to as well. We've been training ourselves to detect a ninja's farts from 100 yards - we'll hear you coming before you even know you've left your spawn. ;)

Reactions: B4$$TarD and worluk
Upvote 0
Interesting that you use the word sport when clearly there is nothing sporting about this at all. Lucky for you then if you do hear hidden footsteps, but a heck of a lot of other people don't.
He doesn't hear any footsteps, believe me. He might just confused his own footsteps and enemy uniform rustling with enemy footsteps :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Footsteps worked in the beta. I doubt anyone experiences footsteps because I'm pretty sure tripwire disabled them to save network overhead. So whoever says he can hear the footsteps, proof it!

This, I thought it's only me having impression that sound system was way better in close beta.

I'd suggest to disable Mkb and AVT (these cause sound shuttering) and bring back footsteps.

Upvote 0
------ snip -----

Either way, the folks who do hear footsteps are in for a world of pain when the rest of us are able to as well. We've been training ourselves to detect a ninja's farts from 100 yards - we'll hear you coming before you even know you've left your spawn. ;)

Great - I like your sense of humor.

Have you heard or do you hear the announcement echo in the beginning of Axis side in Barracks in the warehouse? If yes, then please listen as you run outside and see if the echo ceases. The effects in the sounds are spectacular throughout the game.
As a test, join a server with BOTS... as you spawn, you should hear the bot's footsteps as they run off in different directions with the sounds of those footsteps offering fade and direction of travel.​
The attention TWI has paid to the sounds in the game, IMHO, equals the efforts taken throughout the game. RO2 is excellent and plays superbly when configured properly. Not bragging - just offering solid basic observations and advice.

Do you by any chance, hear the faint sounds of distant sporadic automatic weapons fire? Its in all the maps.

I kid you not.... its all in the config of the game and perhaps the sound card (if any) and onboard sound chip in use.

My intention is to indicate that users should start with a minimal sound config. I went hog wild maxing out the sound settings thinking it would be wonderful. Not so, I set the game to its defaults for sounds and then config'ed my sound card settings to my liking. I turned OFF the onboard sound in the CMOS and removed the drivers for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0