• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Who wants gigantic DH sized maps?

Heh, FOY is a DH map.

And was 800 m^2

Almost all the good combined arms and infantry maps were less than 2.5 square km, with most less than 1 square km.

This for DH.

I dont think going beyond 2.5 square km (400x600 m, 500x500 m, 300 x 800 m, second number depth) is a good idea for when the SDK is released. This for combined arms. Pure infantry should be a tad smaller.

Tank map...DH had a few bigger than 25 square km. I dont think going beyond 10 square km a good idea for tank maps.

But that is just me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like big maps, they only turn into jogging simulators if they or the spawn systems are poorly designed.

case-in-point: dh-bridgehead or whatever it was, where they actually made a map big enough for a cromwell to use that speed in, but then made the axis strategy "kill the allied mobile spawn half-track to win" due to extremely limited respawns (like 1 per point capped or something), similar with gram, the combined arms map whose main purpose was teaching axis tankers how to snipe people @ 1km with ap rounds, and hellcats how to go 120km/h down a hill and shoot jagdtigers in the side :D

that said, wouldn't mind some maps that were like a tsarist-era manor or something that you had to take and you start out a few hundred metres down the road or something :)

Upvote 0
And UE2.5 is? That would be a step backwards if UE3 didnt... it has something more with "detail" doesnt it?

Actually, yes it is a step backwards. The UE3 engine was designed to work well on both PC and the current console generation.

With all the memory restrictions of consoles, it handles geometry and textures differently than previous versions of the unreal engine. True, it can handle more polygons, that's a given, but distances are not a forte of the engine, especially in multiplayer. Many games using UE3 for multiplayer make the mistake of distance; after a certain point things can get very jerky. TW have obviously put a lot of work into optimising that.

That's not to say there aren't PC-specific ways of doing things in UE3, but maps of the same notably huge scale as the big RO1/DH tank maps are not as viable in RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, yes it is a step backwards. The UE3 engine was designed to work well on both PC and the current console generation.

With all the memory restrictions of consoles, it handles geometry and textures differently than previous versions of the unreal engine. True, it can handle more polygons, that's a given, but distances are not a forte of the engine, especially in multiplayer. Many games using UE3 for multiplayer make the mistake of distance; after a certain point things can get very jerky. TW have obviously put a lot of work into optimising that.

That's not to say there aren't PC-specific ways of doing things in UE3, but maps of the same notably huge scale as the big RO1/DH tank maps are not as viable in RO2.

Step backwards? I beg to differ.

Upvote 0