• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which tank would you like to see next after PzIII

Which tank would you like to see next after PzIII

• Pz 38(t)

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Pz II

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Pz III J (late)

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • StuG E

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • StuG F/8

Votes: 53 43.8%
  • Marder II

Votes: 24 19.8%

• Total voters
I voted StuG III F, but really both could be added with minimal tweaks. They're all built on the Panzer III chassis anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the same animations and so forth can't be added. I'd also love to see the Panzer IV D with its 75mm punt gun. The Pnz 38 is a hard thing to vote against being such a sweet little tank, but without a similar Russian early war tank it seems outclassed.

Perhaps the Tiger could be met by the T-34/85?

Upvote 0
I want vehicles that are unlike the standard turreted tanks we already have. They permit much more variation for missions. They can appear in larger numbers. And they interact great with infantry and tanks alike.

We have the Pwnzer IV and T-34 already.

Tiger vs KV are iconic but still very similar in most situations. They would only bring stuff to all tank-scenarios really. And that is limited.

Armoured Personell Carriers would permit mechanized infantry to make an appearance, finally. Carrying MG34 on top and supplies, offer rapid movement on the battlefield, machinegun support and extended operations. Can be a spawnpoint, too.

Marder II is a great idea. An open topped, tiny, lightly armoured, turret-less tank destroyer. That can still fire high explosive shells to deal with other stuff. Now that's a flawed vehicle with weaknesses that prevent it from being overbearingly powerful. It can be employed in frankly every type of scenario almost, and in more numbers than otherwise possible. Interacts well with infantry, vehicles and tanks. Also, imagine being able to look down from above and see the amazing crew animations at work. Wow.

Armoured recon would make an interesting choice and there are many different vehicles to choose from. And maybe could be made to play an interesting role of actually scouting out enemy, marking them on the map or HUD or be the only ones able to call in artillery. The other side would be most interested in shutting down these 'eyes' of the enemy.

Light early war tanks are a bit like the Tiger / KV-1. Just downgunned versions of what we already have.

The STUG series are at least more different, having lower profile and lacking a turret. It adds a bit more flavor. How about a proper assault gun that the germans used in Stalingrad? STUG 33B

Upvote 0
How about a proper assault gun that the germans used in Stalingrad? STUG 33B

I heard there were a lot of problems with the vehicle though it was used in the city limts. I think most of the problems were with the space within the vehicle and the cannon. Also it has a hell of a silhouette.

However, it would be historically accurate.

Upvote 0
Tiger shouldn't really be in stalingrad, i think if anything they operated on the fringes early '43 - importantly the tiger would absolutely wipe out anything that the russians could muster at that time - you have to wait until the su152 arrives (~april '43?) really before it can get hurt at anything other than extreme close ranges - the f34 and zis5 76.2mm guns on the kv and t34 just wouldn't cut it.

Stalingrad is indeed a tricky time for even armour match-ups.... the t34 and KV series will make short work of the early p3/p4 tanks (in their origional single purpose roles - which in itself put the germans at a further disadvantage in a game with limited tanks) then suddenly they swap roles and the p4 gets a long 75 and if you include other advantages like ergonomics and optics is more than a match for either of those russians.

phaps the evenest match-up involving the KV is the KV1s vs one of the up-armoured long 60mm armed pIIIs.. funnily enough what TWi came up with in the first game.

Upvote 0
Panzer 38(t)s were involved in the Battle of Stalingrad. The 22. Panzer-Division was equipped with around 30 38(t)s, which were, at that point, noted to be woefully ineffective against T-34s and had suffered mechanical problems as a result of mice chewing up the wiring in the vehicles. Nevertheless, they actually fought there, and the 22. were destroyed around midway through the battle, in November. Or so Wikipedia says.

I'd like to see them, anyway. They were a workhorse type of tank, like the Marder II being a workhorse tank destroyer - they were fairly common, but often undergunned and obsolete by that point in the war. They're also quite underappreciated and almost never represented in games, and I think it'd be great to see them. I know we're certain to get the mainstay StuGs, Tigers, and so on in the future, I just feel it'd be a nice change of pace to give the less glamorous tanks a chance to shine.

So I vote for the 38(t), with the Marder II being a close second. I love the StuG, but there's no doubt we'll be getting those in the future.

Upvote 0
I think Tiger vs KV1 is a bit unfair match. The StuG F/8 would more likely fit in. With its front upgraded to 80mm was quite tough to penetrate for soviet 76.2mm gun. I'd love to see a scenario where 3 stugs defend on a hill and 10 T34/76 with a mission to take over that hill. Not just typical balanced loadouts consisted of even numbers of PzIV vs T34 which can be quite boring.

I'd like to see them, anyway. They were a workhorse type of tank, like the Marder II being a workhorse tank destroyer - they were fairly common, but often undergunned and obsolete by that point in the war. They're also quite underappreciated and almost never represented in games, and I think it'd be great to see them. I know we're certain to get the mainstay StuGs, Tigers, and so on in the future, I just feel it'd be a nice change of pace to give the less glamorous tanks a chance to shine.

I agree I'd prefered to see the much less common tanks than the well known StuGs and whatnot. Another interesting early war vehicle was Panzerj

Upvote 0
Lets see
Germans
Panzer IV Ausf G
Panzer III Ausf J"1" (after all over 1500 where made of this type)
---
StuG III E
StuG III F and or F8
Panzer 38(t) Ausf G
Panzer II Ausf F
Marder I, II or III
PSW 222
PSW 231

The Russians
T-34/76 M1942ish
T-70
---
KV-1
KV-2
T-60
T-26
BT-7
SU-76
T34/57
BA-10

Personally I can see RO2 taking place from mid 1941 to mid 1943.

Upvote 0