• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Where is the Scrake's head-hitbox?!?!

Reallifeh8er

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2014
Equestria
Dat situation. When the Scrake is stunned for seconds.

I seem to fairly miss sometimes the Scrakes head when it's about sharpshooting with Sharpy or Commando. Could anyone enlight me his hitbox location? Preferably via a short Video or Screenshots. So many people say his hitbox is there, there and there. These locations are all different!

I must learn it the visual way, not the text way.

EDIT: By missing the Scrake's head I forgot to mention, that I miss the Scrake's hitbox USING the LAR/Musket or FN-FAL. Not the XBOW.

Last edited:
Go on a server with latest testmap.
In such cases, I prefer Solo. Anyway I got the testmaps from the Workshop (or in my Pov: Dumpster).
Enable drawing hitboxes in menu. See for yourself.
As if a VAC-server would allow this? Correct me if I am wrong but this is considered sort of cheating.

I do not see any "draw hitboxes" in any menu. Full instructions please!

Upvote 0
In such cases, I prefer Solo. Anyway I got the testmaps from the Workshop (or in my Pov: Dumpster).
As if a VAC-server would allow this? Correct me if I am wrong but this is considered sort of cheating.

I do not see any "draw hitboxes" in any menu. Full instructions please!

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

If you are using Mutant's testmap there is an option that comes packaged with the map called "draw head hitboxes" this puts a little dot right where the head hitbox is on zeds. This is precisely for the reason that you are posting this post. I don't know if you are a native English speaker but that initial response of "As if a VAC-server would allow this" seems a bit dickish don't you think?

I'll lay this out in baby steps.

1) Download Mutant's testmap.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99193018
2) Host dedicated server with the testmap selected. (Google it. I am not answering that question.)
3) Read the damn popup when you spawn.
4) Enable in the GUI menu.
5) Practice popping heads
6) Be less dickish and you will get kinder responses.
7) Youtube is your fr- nevermind.

Upvote 0

If I recall correctly, scrake's hitbox behaves differently online. Like very buggy. So it is better to find and practice in a server that has a testmap running.

You can also use videos like these as references.

Killing Floor Scrake Head Hitbox - YouTube

Killing Floor: Scrake Hitbox #2 - YouTube

Too bad TWI made the "looking around" stunt animation happen less often in the game. Other wise, I would get a lot more "WTF How did you do that? F***ing cheater aimbot hacker! Vote ban Mutsumi" moments in multiplayer.

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About those hitboxes. It seems that they don't always behave the same way in real games compared to how they do in a testmap conditions.

Usually:
In a solo game a bit of time passes before SC lowers his head after you stun him. And hitbox moves with the head.
On a dedicated servers SC lowers his head immidiately, but it still takes time for hitbox to move down (as in solo). So if you're shooting fast, you should make next 1 or 2 shots in the same location.

But sometimes, when I play solo, scrake's head AND hitbox lower immidiately. The trigger seems to be scrake getting hit by certain types of damage, - for example this always happens after scrake is hit by bloat bile. Hitbox can also lower immidiately on dedicated servers (along with the head), - I did have some issues with it when assumed that hitbox remained in upper position. Or maybe I just screwed up. This needs more testing.

If you want to be safe, - just wait a bit after scrake lowered his head and then hitbox should be in sync with it.

Upvote 0
99X|Odin
As I can see, you got me wrong. But thanks anyway. I will check it out. Wasn't this point of mine worth mentioning Mr./Mrs. Fragile?
7) Youtube is your fr- nevermind.
I see where you come from.

Mutsumi
Thanks mate. The first video was very helpful. The "look-around" stun animation was almost never appearing in my playtime of KF. This one seems very tricky!

Skell
I'll keep that in mind! Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey,

wasn't there a fix in the few updates for the hitbox of the Scrakes? I can't find it anymore but I thought I've read it somewhere. For me it still is a mythical thing. When I'm shooting the Scrake with my Musket, the head goes down and I have to wait until his head goes to the right(from his pov). Then I shoot him like two times and have to wait again I think to give him the rest.

Tell me whether I'm just bad or is it the hitbox?

Upvote 0
When you first stun the scrake, the head hitbox actually stays above its head for a split second before dropping down.

It only does that for the first stun. After the first stun, when you stun it again, the head hitbox drops down immediately to where the head is supposed to be.

On suicidal or hell on earth, some sharpshooters prefer to stun the scrake with the crossbow and then immediately fire the second bolt (aiming just right above scrake's head) without moving the mouse for a quick decapitation, but personally, I find this method a bit unreliable.

So I just wait a little before I fire the second bolt like what most people do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The animation where he looks from side-to-side will NEVER happen.

When TWI said they fixed sc's hitboxes it meant they stopped that animation from playing when you shoot him as that animation is for when the sc is IDLE.
"Idle?" you ask? Yes, you don't see it often but if a sc ever gets stuck on map geometry he will play this animation of looking around, which was the only time it was ever meant to be played in the first place.
It was a bug that it was happening when he got shot, probably something to do with calling that animation because he stopped moving, although he was stunned instead of stuck or idling, so it was incorrect.
That's why when that bug was still around, the hitbox would still move as if it were playing the correct stunned head-swinging animation. This meant most players had a ritual of waiting for the look and then firing at his elbow to get the headshot.

Although this bug is fixed there is still an issue where the hitbox doesn't start moving at the same time the head lowers on dedicated servers. As others have said, when using the xbow you should be able to spam fire after your first bolt and kill the sc even though it seems like you'd miss. Because the head hitbox is still hovering where you first shot it, before it catches up with the animation and starts swaying.

So, two options:
a) fire two shots as fast as possible
b) fire one at the head, wait for head to lower AND start swaying, fire second at head

It's also something to think about when using LAR or something to repeatedly stun, fire a few straight in the same spot even though it looks above his lowered head, then aim at the swaying head.

Upvote 0
In terms of missing the Scrakes head I was referring to using the LAR/Musket or FN-FAL, not actualy the XBOW! Sorry everyone for the confusion and late correction! (*Edited first post*)

Tefaan

I wouldn't say, that you are bad but with study you can bring it on. I saw few HoE player's dealing with 6p HoE Scrakes with LAR or Muskets AND managed to stun them in a loophole - Shot after shot - In a very short time. And dead was the Scrake.

nd2spd
After some practise, I confirm, that shooting the Scrake with a XBOW (like someone said) in the neck mostly will do the trick. Your 2 options you have provided - That was how I did before + 3. Option (On LAR/Musket) Fire one in the Scrakes head, wait until he wakes up again from the stun, fire another in his head, repeat.
Good thing this bug (Idle animation) was fixed some time ago even if I almost never encountered this bug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is for every weapon.
Let me tell you mate:
When I was playing on Hard servers and the Circus/Summer Zeds were still active on 2013 I was able to NEVER miss the Scrakes head with the XBOW. I do not know if difficulty or event-zeds are of influence on this one but see...?

I didn't had to aim at his head at all! I could aim next to him (zeds behind him), above him, a bunch of lenght away from his head and was still able to headshot him with the XBOW.

My guess on this one is, that it was a bug, that got fixed later. I'm going have to retry this on the testmaps on todays version. I will come back with the results.

EDIT: I don't have the possibility to test this. Something's wrong with the KF_Circus_Zeds files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0