• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When should you be allowed to zoom

When should you be allowed to zoom

• Total voters
I still wonder why does the game still unzooms our view whenever we jog, or sprint. The game has a dedicated zoom key, default H. It can't be that hard to change that. TWI should definitely look into it, tiny change that has big repercussions. I am also heavily against zoom being affected by suppression.

Upvote 0
You should be able to zoom whenever you want and being suppressed shouldn't effect the zoom. The more the zoom is controlled the more robotic it feels. It also believe that it's bad for gameplay that you can't zoom while jogging, it increases the "zoom gives a sniper scope to everyone" factor.

Preferably I would prefer if the zoom was very low similar to DH so it would be a negligible disadvantage to not be able to zoom while moving.

Upvote 0
Preferably I would prefer if the zoom was very low similar to DH so it would be a negligible disadvantage to not be able to zoom while moving.

Let's remember the big advantage you get in trade of of the zoom when you are moving: You are moving.

If anyone dares shoot at you, chances are pretty big you will hear from where the shot is coming from and see the gigantic muzzle flash.

Upvote 0
Zooming with a separate key is far superior. I hate being forced to zoom in IS mode, because in CQB, having your sights out with peripheral vision is crucial. However, having the option to zoom to true human eye distance vision is crucial as well; people who prefer no ability to zoom at all simply don't understand the difference between a computer monitor and real life.

I think Infiltration's TrueScale mutator was probably the best implementation of it. My main complaint about Arma 2's zoom is by default you have to hold the key to bring it up, which is slow and awkward, though if you rebind it with no holds, there's no issue.

One thing that's worth mentioning is that forced zoom for IS mode is far more acceptable when you don't have large amounts of freeaim screwing up your snap shooting in non-IS mode. The idea of having the mouse wobble your gun around the screen so you don't know where your point of aim is originated when people still thought hip shooting was the main alternative to iron sights. When I play a game like Rainbow Six Vegas with crosshairs turned off, I don't need a no-zoom IS mode, because I can guestimate the center of the screen in-game with comparable accuracy to using hand-eye coordination in real life to land hits at close range by firing from the shoulder without looking down the sights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main thing for me is I think people should be able to have choices.

• The reload functionality in RO2 shows that a distiction can be made between tapping a button and holding it. This means that like ArmA it becomes possible to make a button where tapping brings up ironsight and holding it zooms you in.
  • Next to that as can be seen by the shift or H button you can press a button and zoom in that way.
  • And with the old sliders it would become possible to zoom in while in ironsights.

I really think that refinements to the zoom system, in allowing people more control of how to zoom brings the game forward in a great way.

My primary issue with the zoom as it is now is the loss of mobility, in terms of attacking and defending, always forcing you to stop for a small peak of your surroundings. If control can be given to the players with zoom, then it would be a lot more bearable for me.

Upvote 0

• The reload functionality in RO2 shows that a distiction can be made between tapping a button and holding it. This means that like ArmA it becomes possible to make a button where tapping brings up ironsight and holding it zooms you in.
  • Next to that as can be seen by the shift or H button you can press a button and zoom in that way.
  • And with the old sliders it would become possible to zoom in while in ironsights.

I really think that refinements to the zoom system, in allowing people more control of how to zoom brings the game forward in a great way.

My primary issue with the zoom as it is now is the loss of mobility, in terms of attacking and defending, always forcing you to stop for a small peak of your surroundings. If control can be given to the players with zoom, then it would be a lot more bearable for me.

Indeed. We should just copy ARMA II zoom mechanics and bind possibilities and be done with it. Free head as a bonus.

Upvote 0

Options would be nice for this as you have stated. My personal preference would be a separate key (or the hold breath key IMO), but choices for other people would be good too.

While having to stop to zoom is a problem, the one that always gets me is close range combat. If I'm in ironsights and the enemy sidesteps to the left or right, I can't see them anymore because of the zoom.

So yeah, when and if to zoom should be a players choice if possible.

Upvote 0
And please add the FREE LOOK with the ALT key. Like in Arma2

yes, i dont know why the devs are afraid to copy one ideia just because its already a strong point in another game.
If its rocks like arma's "view system" so use it. If all players likes it, so be it. Use it.

Like ACRE system. Where is our 3D chat ? proximity chat?
Or where is the 100 players server. DH have 70 players already why RO2 came out bringing more players to the battlefield?
ohh..

Last edited:
Upvote 0