• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When should you be allowed to zoom

When should you be allowed to zoom

• Total voters

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Here is a small poll about when you think that you should be allowed to zoom.

What functionality of zoom would you prefer

1. you should always be able to zoom manually even when moving. (like in for instance arma2)
2. you should only be allowed to zoom manually when standing still (like for instance ro2 realism)
3. you should only automatically zoom when going into ironsights (classic), and not allow people to zoom manually.
4. I don't have any preference for any of the 3 above.

I don't think you should be able to zoom when moving quicker than a walk, but I do think otherwise it should be doable (even in classic!). I do however think the level of zoom should be reduced (at least in classic :p).

I never had a problem with the zoom mechanism in RO2, I just think the level of zoom was too high.

Upvote 0
1 for me, with a desire to add free look on top of that.

****ing agreed I'm getting TrackIR for Christmas and I must say it looks super useful in ARMAII. I tried it at a friends and it feels too natural. If RO2 had that it could be a huge use in larger maps when making a sprint to cover to be able to look left and right.

Upvote 0
well yes...

but technically it's not zoom. zoom implies magnification, but you're not magnifying past 1:1 scale.

That don't make no sense. Your position makes no sense. Zoom does imply magnification, and that's precisely what you do in game when you press Left Shift, you go from 1.0x to 2.3x, and that is what the poll is asking about. There is no one talking about actual cyborg eyes, zooming past the 1:1 human vision scale.

Upvote 0
but technically it's not zoom.

It is the exact same thing.

Seriously. Zoom (In this case, digital zoom) is simply narrowing the FoV displayed on the monitor, which in turn, can be simply described as magnification. Any time you change the FoV, it's zooming (Either in or out).

And if you mean 1:1 scale as in human visual acuity, we don't even approach that until we get scope-plus-focus-zoom levels of zoom.

Upvote 0
voted "no preference" because I don't want "zoom", what I want is to be able to switch between a real life field of view, and real life scale. Because you cannot have both on a monitor screen.

When you go from zoomed out to the original size its called zooming in. The transition in technical terms is called zooming. On purpose the magnification amount hasn't been named that's for another poll.

Upvote 0