• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think a German / Russian Veteran soldier should look like?

Uh, wut?

8.) No strap on helmet to stop neck from breaking if high calibre bullet hits helmet.
Any bullet that has enough force to break somebody's neck by hitting their helmet would

A) simply blow through the helmet, through the person's head, and out the other side again.. most bullets do this anyways. Bullets, like everything, look for the path of least resistance. It's easier for a fast projectile to punch through thin metal than to hit the thin metal and sent an object into motion.

B) break the shoulder of the person firing whatever obscenely large gun it was

In fact, it'd do both

Also, these two seem pretty contradictory to me

1) No insignia on helmet, new fresh soldiers would have yet to realise the potential to snipers of a shiny decal.

3) Medals i.e Battle of Poland, France & possibly bravery & Infantry combat medals.
I mean, you're a sniper.. there's two soldiers in your view. One just looks like a regular private, the other looks like a regular dude, but he has a bunch of shiny medals glinting in the sun.. who gets shooting priority?

Anyways, the rest seem alright, especially the beard

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, but you are wrong. totally wrong! Soldiers in WW2 did wear their medals, it was common.

Not everyone. Just the veterans! :D

Just see that pic for proof of medals AND beard:
3534476016_02fb897ecd.jpg

Tankers used k98's? Thought they would mostly have smgs since they are short and have foldable stocks.

Upvote 0
I will start of this thread by voicing my opinions, please follow my lead.

In my opinion a GERMAN veteran should have the following:

1) No insignia on helmet, new fresh soldiers would have yet to realise the potential to snipers of a shiny decal.

2) Rolled up sleeves, open collar.

3) Medals i.e Battle of Poland, France & possibly bravery & Infantry combat medals.

4) Arm decals i.e for Tank busting

5.) Should carry a sidearm, be it German or other.

6.) Plenty of grenades.

7.) Camoflage cover / Wire netting on helmet

8.) No strap on helmet to stop neck from breaking if high calibre bullet hits helmet.

9.) Worn out uniform colouring, possibly trousers old '1939' pattern to show how long he has been in combat.

10.) Scratches / scars on face (Battle hardened)

11.) Dried on blood stain on uniform.

12.) Irregular equiptment i.e more streamlined for practicality / possibility of not gas mask tin / breadbag

13. Nicer officer jackboots which he may have aquired from an earlier campaign.

14.) Leather gloves for winter settings, instead of the standard issued cotton variants.

15.) BEARD!!!!!!!

I don't agree with not having a breadbag, nothing is more practical than having a good place to store your food in. Also, I am not a fan of a beard.

Upvote 0
Tankers used k98's? Thought they would mostly have smgs since they are short and have foldable stocks.

I used to be in the Dutch Airforce, security detachment.
Making a picture of me with a plane in the background doesn't make me a pilot.

Pz Div had support troops, like artillery, infantry etc.
It wasn't just tanks.
In fact, the majority of personel of a certain division didn't even have to be doing the core job.

Upvote 0
What I dont understand is, why did the Germans have metal studs on their boots and a rattly gas-cannister which basically prevented any form of silent movement what so ever. Serious disadvantage to the average landser if you ask me, the later war shoe-variant with rubber soles much more preferable if you ask me.

Sturm

Upvote 0
What I dont understand is, why did the Germans have metal studs on their boots and a rattly gas-cannister which basically prevented any form of silent movement what so ever. Serious disadvantage to the average landser if you ask me, the later war shoe-variant with rubber soles much more preferable if you ask me.

Sturm

I belive they had studs on thier boots to add grip to an otherwise smooth surface along with making it sound "terrifying" and "hardcore" when they come marching or running, it has a pschycological effect.

Upvote 0
Jackboots in the typical army unit only lasted until '43 until the big switch to low-quarter boots with Gemaschen came into effect. (Hell, even low-quartered boots have hobnails on them!)

There was a big image thing about jackboots and the military. Here's a quote from a young Landser during the war.

"When my brother came home on leave he clomped around the house in those nice boots. I would polish them for him. Those boots were one of those things which separated a soldier from a civilian; they were the trademark of a Deutscher Soldat. When I went into the Army, they gave me a pair of lace-up boots like workman's shoes and a pair of Gamaschen. We all sat around with these things, looking at them like they were some sort of ladies' wear. We were disappointed. They made us look like a bunch of Tommies."

But of course it saved on material though some elite units still aquired jackboots until the end of the war. (ex: Gro​

Upvote 0
Honestly the beard I feel is just a bit much. If I recall, in the Red Orchestra on the Unreal Tournament engine the faces were randomly generated.
If that was the same in HOS I could stand to see the occasional LOW PERCENTAGE of a scruffy type of battle hardened veteran within the group.
Maybe this would only randomly generate for veteran players.
But overall when I think of a German Soldier in the Second World War with a beard I would also be looking for his naval garb.
U-Boats tend to come to mind when I think of Beards and Germans.
IMO

Reactions: Krieger
Upvote 0