• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think a German / Russian Veteran soldier should look like?

4664284490_53fd7efce6.jpg

and

YouTube - ‪Interview with a German WW2 vet‬‏

No rolled up sleaves...

Just kidding, they should look rugged though. Unshaven, dirty with several pieces of equipment scavenged from the battlefield.

Upvote 0
No insignia on helmet, new fresh soldiers would have yet to realise the potential to snipers of a shiny decal.
They're not shiny though...

Rolled up sleeves, open collar.
Have fun in the winter.

Medals i.e Battle of Poland, France & possibly bravery & Infantry combat medals.
You don't wear medals in combat, maybe the frozen meat. But nothing more.

Nicer officer jackboots which he may have aquired from an earlier campaign.
What would your officer say to you if he saw you wearing them, i'm sure the result would be a few teeth knocked out.

BEARD!!!!!!!
No no no no no no no etc. OMGZ I WANTS OPERATOR TACTICAL BEARD. Just because you found a couple photo of guys with beards doesn't mean everyone at the front had one.

Red Army Veteran would look exactly like everyone else. Oh so comrade you are trying to prove superiority with your nice captured boots? *jumpkick to chest* swiftly followed by the taking of said boots.

Upvote 0

Sorry, but you are wrong. totally wrong! Soldiers in WW2 did wear their medals, it was common.

OMGZ I WANTS OPERATOR TACTICAL BEARD. Just because you found a couple photo of guys with beards doesn't mean everyone at the front had one.

Not everyone. Just the veterans! :D

Just see that pic for proof of medals AND beard:
3534476016_02fb897ecd.jpg

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
that's called a 5 o clock shadow. he'd have shaven it off during downtime.

beards are stupid aesthetic created by medal of honor tier one to attract the sheep. it worked. you think people who think it's cool actually knew it was a cultural requirement? no. just more ZOmg cool bearded dude named dusty. ****ing idiots.

keep em shaven, mustached, or with 5 o clock shadows. beard crap keep out.

Upvote 0
I like the rolled up sleeves, but it seems that non of these soldiers really look like battle hardened 'veterans' , no , more like dirty, ruffaged soldiers of the present battle i.e they opened the collar that day, got dirt on their uniforms that day not like, for example a veteran may have dirt/blood/gravel from a battle which occured some miles away before being transported to the present battle. A Clever soldier would use any equiptment avalible, be in enemy or not, a recruit or fresh soldier would be too inexperinced to realise the value of such scavenging, would probably fear repercussions from his NCO.

RO2_SF_2011_Barrack_02.jpg

Sturm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They're not shiny though...
Yes they are. After the Polish and French campaigns, the Germans made extensive notation of the problem with the decals. They are incredibly shiny and they eventually were stopped being applied to helmet. Future helmets lost their gloss finish because of the amount of risk they put soldiers at. This happened by the time Stalingrad came around. Although some helmets were put to the front with one decal, soldiers often removed them by scratching them out, etc.

Have fun in the winter.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It's assumed they would not roll their sleeves in the winter. Remember that the first half of the battle was during hot to incredibly hot weather.

As shown above, soldiers often wore their medals into combat.

No no no no no no no etc. OMGZ I WANTS OPERATOR TACTICAL BEARD. Just because you found a couple photo of guys with beards doesn't mean everyone at the front had one.
Also shown above, some veterans had beards. As unprofessional and horrid as they may look on a soldier, I personally would have grown one during extremely cold weather.

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
I will start of this thread by voicing my opinions, please follow my lead.

In my opinion a GERMAN veteran should have the following:

1) No insignia on helmet, new fresh soldiers would have yet to realise the potential to snipers of a shiny decal.

2) Rolled up sleeves, open collar.

3) Medals i.e Battle of Poland, France & possibly bravery & Infantry combat medals.

4) Arm decals i.e for Tank busting

5.) Should carry a sidearm, be it German or other.

6.) Plenty of grenades.

7.) Camoflage cover / Wire netting on helmet

8.) No strap on helmet to stop neck from breaking if high calibre bullet hits helmet.

9.) Worn out uniform colouring, possibly trousers old '1939' pattern to show how long he has been in combat.

10.) Scratches / scars on face (Battle hardened)

11.) Dried on blood stain on uniform.

12.) Irregular equiptment i.e more streamlined for practicality / possibility of not gas mask tin / breadbag

13. Nicer officer jackboots which he may have aquired from an earlier campaign.

14.) Leather gloves for winter settings, instead of the standard issued cotton variants.

15.) BEARD!!!!!!!

Some of those are good ideas, although I disagree with some.

1+3, they seem to cancel each other out, also, how would a battle-worn veteran (that has a beard) be able to have medals on his jacket while jumping to cover etc, a guy with torn clothes but some shining medals? It's a battlefield, not a parade.

2: Might get might cold in the winter, boy.

6: Would that be a change in gameplay, or would they just be visual? Either way, I'm not sure what to think about it.

8: A helmet without a strap doesn't hold on to your head pretty well without holding it with a hand, unless of course the helmet is so tight to your head that it doesn't move at all while running, and if that gets hit by a bullet, it won't protect you that well.

15: Not everybody likes beards, wouldn't imagine that every veteran had those in every single battle...

Edit: Apparently most of these things were already said, so I'll say one more thing; the angry machine gunner from the mini series Shtrafbat is actually an orthodox priest, that's why he has such a beard. Also, about having old clothes, the men did get to wash / change their clothes sometimes, supply lines weren't only for food and ammo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0