• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon shot out of hand, let's bring it back?

Weapon shot out of hand, let's bring it back?

• Total voters
Yep I would be very happy to see this feature in Red Orchestra 2, It created some tense moments in Ostfront.... Got the adrenaline going when it was shot out of your hands and for some reason you couldn't find it, Then you'd have to run around unarmed looking for dead bodies to scavenge,I'd have to hide behind my team mates many times in order to move up. It indeed was an annoyance, But it was a fun annoyance !

Upvote 0
Only if it occurs when you shoot the person in the hand, and when I state "hand" I literally mean the hand, not the arm*. Also if it happens by chance to offset the probability (applying a percentage if possible), that way it isn't all too common but when and if it does happen it feels like a dynamic event not a poorly implemented looping feature.

*I'd like to see a status effect for getting shot in the arm similar to what happens with leg shots currently but that is a different thread regarding my suggestion on this.

Upvote 0
Considering that almost all weapons (That is, anything not a pistol) are typically held with both hands, it's kind of silly to drop the weapon with both hands when only one is injured. If you were injured in both hands at once, maybe (And still only maybe), or if it were held in only one hand (Pistol only, unless you want to count longarms during the German sprint animation). It's made slightly worse by the visual location of dropped weapons being entirely client-side, while pick-up range is server side, making it so you sometimes can't pick up a weapon (Sometimes you have to fidget around until you get in-range, sometimes it's completely impossible). And then you'd either have to drop the weapon with its ammo (Which is silly, but little more than the current pickup system), or re-code the ammo system to make weapon and ammo independent (A lot of work for such a minor and rare feature, but one that could at least be used as a framework for other eventual improvements).

So basically, I would say no. If the other features that would be needed for it have been implemented (Improved checking for weapon pickups and seperate weapon/ammo tracking), and there has been enough improvement to the injury system that it doesn't seem to be such an outlier, then it might be worth throwing in as well.

As for weapon damage, that might work. I'd be cautious about it if there weren't a full weapon reliability/condition system (Since otherwise it would be just a binary perfect/destroyed state), but if it were, that might work. To tell the truth, it probably wouldn't be worth adding unless the game made a significant push towards simulation. Again, it's a fairly rare event compared to some much more core elements that would need addressing first.

Upvote 0
Ah, right, grenades and satchels. Again, I'd only have those dropped on hand hits, not all arm hits. Arm hits should greatly impair the ability to throw them, but that's back to needing an improved injury system. Considering the possibility of grenades and satchels being shot from your hand, I'd add in the ability to pick up live grenades and satchels as a required system before implementing shot-from-hand effects.

It'd be particularly worth it considering how many seemingly-clear throws end up having the satchel stuck on terrain a foot in front of the thrower...

Upvote 0
I know most of this argument was "It wouldn't fall out" or "yes it would fall out" but here have a video uploaded today of a helmet cam from a soldier in Afghanistan where he was getting shot at by a MG and one of the rounds hit his gun which made him drop it. At 1:57

U.S. Soldier Survives Taliban Machine Gun Fire During Firefight - YouTube

"A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless. "

Combine that with Comrade Kaizers post about it being dynamic and not something that becomes annoying I could see it becoming something that is pretty damn amazing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0