• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon shot out of hand, let's bring it back?

Weapon shot out of hand, let's bring it back?

• Total voters

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
Not much to add, I'd love to see this back, too much good memories:IS2::IS2:

Possible improvements over RO1 version:

• weapon and ammo can be dropped separately, so you only lose your weapon, not your ammo (this also has benefits in other areas, such as ammo sharing)
  • no auto-switch to other weapon when weapon is dropped
  • random chance the weapon becomes broken?

In any case, it would be a server option, the poll reflects the default value of this setting.

Last edited:
While I found it excrutiatingly anoying in some cases, it was mainly the ammo dropping that did put me off it. Voted for all modes because with the player-keeping-ammo improvment, I'd actually be okay with it, and it would make more sense. (Although, ammo stays with gun as it now, so it's almost a moot point anyways).

There would have to be an unarmed player animation though. In game, you're stoped from dropping your last remaining weapon so I don't know if there is one or not.

Upvote 0
i miss having my gun being shot out of my hands, sure it was annoying, but at the same time it was great.
this time you should keep ammo on you until you pick the weapon back up, or pick up a different gun, or when you die, then the "shot" weapon gets the ammo you had.

anyone remember having to pick up every single clip of ammo?

also, there's an MG glitch?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what does that statement mean? :confused:

The whole point of MG glitch is that you can see the weapon, but can't see the shooter. If you can shoot MG out of their hands, you will be able to stop them for some time, maybe make them inadvertently switch to a non-glitching position, or stop them completely if the MG drops in a dangerous for the MGer place.

Upvote 0
I voted "Only for Classic", simply because I don't wanna heard "don't fix what isn't broken blahblah for my so super Realism mode" :D
that has to be one of the worst ideas for voting for something, i've ever heard. not even sure why you think that's funny? :confused: i guess i'm missing it.
why does everything have to be a war of the modes with some of us?:( i sure wish it would stop.

How often did it happen? Not to much I hope, seems like something that would be very unlikely irl, especially at range...
unlikely? if you shoot my arm, i garauntee i'll drop my weapon!

well, i would like it to be a server option, default should be disabled, so server's that want that feature, can turn it on.
yep. as should a whole slew of options!
The whole point of MG glitch is that you can see the weapon, but can't see the shooter. If you can shoot MG out of their hands, you will be able to stop them for some time, maybe make them inadvertently switch to a non-glitching position, or stop them completely if the MG drops in a dangerous for the MGer place.
ok. i gotcha. it's not gonna help with that though. we can't shoot that guy at all. not even in the hands. the only way to kill them is to get to higher ground. they know that and won't use the exploit where you can get above them. and if you were able to shoot it out of their hands, they'd still be able to pick it up. they're either in a shell hole, protected or in a room, using the window fram glitch. either way, it won't slow them down.

Upvote 0
unlikely? if you shoot my arm, i garauntee i'll drop my weapon!

Just from various personal accounts of WWII fighting, it doesn't seem that this is actually the case.

I felt like it'd be too much work to put in the game for too little gameplay impact. In addition, I remember all too well the days of griefing by poking a weapon out of somebody else's hands...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just from various personal accounts of WWII fighting, it doesn't seem that this is actually the case.
you'll have to back that up, for me to beleive it. sorry. sure on a simple grazing flesh wound, you wouldn't drop it. you probably would barely notice if the bullet missed the bone, but how small are the chances of it missing bone in an arm? looking foward to reading those personal ccounts you speak of.

Upvote 0
This feature was pretty dumb in RO1 and needed a lot more work to be believable.

Problem is, once you've restricted the triggers to appropriate causes and probability, reworked the pickup system so that you don't have to fish around to actually pick something up, yet can't do it trivially on the fly either, and reworked the inventory and view model systems to support null weapons, then you've just sunk a lot of effort into something that will only rarely actually affect gameplay.

There's no shortage of better places to be putting that much work into.
if you shoot my arm, i garauntee i'll drop my weapon!
There's not much support for that. A typical meat wound to the arm still allows for continued operation of that arm, and the normal response to shock is to clench up, not to relax. That's where the phrase "death grip" comes from, after all. On the other hand, a direct bone hit with battle rifle caliber is such a disaster that use of that arm is the least of your concerns, but those aren't currently modeled in RO2.

Plus, you have more than one arm.

A hit to the weapon may damage the weapon (a whole new system by itself) but it's unlikely to cause a fumble. It's no more impulse than recoil is, after all, it's just at a weird angle at a surprising time. Close your eyes and have somebody whack your rifle with a rubber mallet and you'll get a decent impression (note: may not actually be a good idea :D). Metal/wood fragments coming off the impact of the shot is a bigger worry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This feature was pretty dumb in RO1 and needed a lot more work to be believable.

A typical meat wound to the arm still allows for continued operation of that arm, and the normal response to shock is to clench up, not to relax. That's where the phrase "death grip" comes from, after all. On the other hand, a direct bone hit with battle rifle caliber is such a disaster that use of that arm is the least of your concerns, but those aren't currently modeled in RO2.
you're probably right about the first point, but that doesn't keep me from wishing it was in RO2. ;)
i covered the second point, as far as getting hit in the arm. yeah, if it doesn't hit bone, you might just hang on to it. i just don't see much chance of missing a bone. it's like 80% of your arm.

Upvote 0
I honestly love the feature in RO1, where you could shoot someones weapon and it would fall out the window or if that happened to you you you be helpless for a bit looking around for a weapon. Even had it before where I ran from one house to the next and I got shot at in the middle and dropped my weapon.

So I make it, notice I have no weapon and see it's in the middle there where the Germans can easily see, so I quickly run to get it while bullets are firing all around me. Fun as hell, such a small feature but added a lot to the fun.

Upvote 0