• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

v1038... how to make sharps even worse than before

Your point being what? That the EBR stunning FP would be any better? Go back to your railgun...

You have less then 20k headshots in KF1. You know nothing about the LAR/EBR playstyle. And the forums are full of those people these days. They don't even really understand what I'm talking about. But it doesn't matter. I'm here to remind the devs that there are people out there that demand that the LAR/EBR has to become equally viable and fun to use in KF2 as in its predecessor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The most feasible option that I can see for the rail gun is to bring it in line similar to kf1 crossbow rather than the m99: that is, it 2 shots scrakes and 3-4 on fleshpounds on 6p HoE. It would probably need tweaking so that it requires on perk sharpshooter to do this, because rail gun currently 2 shots scrakes and 3 shots fleshpounds offperk.

The ability to 1 shot a scrake and 2 shot a fleshpound is something that doesn't really belong on the highest level difficulty and by nature is almost impossible to balance anyway.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2262876 said:
Your point being what? That the EBR stunning FP would be any better? Go back to your railgun...

You have less then 20k headshots in KF1. You know nothing about the LAR/EBR playstyle. And the forums are full of those people these days. They don't even really understand what I'm talking about. But it doesn't matter. I'm here to remind the devs that there are people out there that demand that the LAR/EBR has to become equally viable and fun to use in KF2 as in its predecessor.

Lol now I came back to this thread weeks after you opened it, and it's funny to see how you're still qq'ing over something that has been stated multiple times by many, also experienced, forum users.
If you wanna go full LAR/EBR Style then play kf1. Maybe you don't understand ****, since you keep complaining over and over again. I bet you even cried tears sometime during this discussion.
KF2 is a teamplay game, get it already. Besides that, KF2 is NOT a remake of kf1. I could understand what you're crying over repeatedly if kf2 actually was a remake and you wanted it to work the same way it did in kf1. But it is ****ing not lol.

You're a hopeless case.

Upvote 0
Domi_y0;n2263602 said:
[...] blablubb [...]

KF2 is a teamplay game, get it already. Besides that, KF2 is NOT a remake of kf1. I could understand what you're crying over repeatedly if kf2 actually was a remake and you wanted it to work the same way it did in kf1. But it is ****ing not lol.

You're a hopeless case.
A wide branch of the seasoned KF1 players is turned off by KF2 because many essential aspects are missing. The problem is not that KF2 isn't exactly replicating it's predecessor. The problem is that it's so far a dumbed down version, that fails at creating something of similar depth.

I have no problem with KF2 trying new approaches. I just have a problem with KF2 being something of lesser quality when it comes to depth of gameplay.

And your reference to KF2 being a teamplay game... With the railgun and some pistols I can destroy anything. It's just less fun than playing LAR/EBR in KF1.

I'm here to remind TWI that there are still KF1 LAR/EBR players around, that are more then disappointed that KF2 fails so far in making the iconic sharps loadout into something of acceptable quality. And I won't stop doing so because I'm not here for becoming part of the circlejerk hugbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Domi_y0;n2263602 said:
Lol now I came back to this thread weeks after you opened it, and it's funny to see how you're still qq'ing over something that has been stated multiple times by many, also experienced, forum users.
If you wanna go full LAR/EBR Style then play kf1. Maybe you don't understand ****, since you keep complaining over and over again. I bet you even cried tears sometime during this discussion.

You're a hopeless case.

Posts with that level of maturity make me think that a lot of people ignore esrb ratings when buying games for their kids.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it me, or is the balance for SS actually not that bad atm?

I REALLY like where the lever-action is now, it feels exactly as powerful as it should. I wouldn't mind a weight increase to 7 and/or or max ammo (but not starting ammo) decrease to 60 to try and discourage people from relying too much on just this gun, but in terms of hitting power it's absolutely perfect now.

The crossbow is a really interesting choice now that can function both on-perk and off-perk as something that can deal with medium zeds or get a nice starting shot or two in against large zeds from range. The fact that you can pick up the ammo again and its reasonable peneration means that it's not useless against small zeds either, and it's actually a very interesting choice against bosses because you can recycle the ammo a lot.

The M14 isn't underpowered in my opinion, I really like it where it is now. It's not the greatest against big zeds, but it's far from useless against them as well (try pumping a mag into a Scrake's or Fleshpound's head up close in rapid succession), and it gives you the "emergency button" type of trash clearing ability too. Don't think too much of it in terms of "all SS guns must kill big zeds", it's nice to have some diversification going. For big zeds there's the railgun and crossbow already, after all. Think of this gun's biggest strength being its versatility.

The railgun is damn powerful, especially in manual mode. I don't mind it being so powerful really, but I think players should be penalised a bit against other targets when using it. For example, by making the lever-action heavier, you can't tote both at the same time, which is a damn powerful combo atm, even though both weapons are perfect on their own as they are. I know a lot of players are saying the railgun is really powerful atm, but I've probably gotten killed more often wielding a railgun than any other SS weapon :p .

Upvote 0
Chyros;n2263700 said:
Is it me, or is the balance for SS actually not that bad atm?

I REALLY like where the lever-action is now, it feels exactly as powerful as it should. I wouldn't mind a weight increase to 7 and/or or max ammo (but not starting ammo) decrease to 60 to try and discourage people from relying too much on just this gun, but in terms of hitting power it's absolutely perfect now.

The crossbow is a really interesting choice now that can function both on-perk and off-perk as something that can deal with medium zeds or get a nice starting shot or two in against large zeds from range. The fact that you can pick up the ammo again and its reasonable peneration means that it's not useless against small zeds either, and it's actually a very interesting choice against bosses because you can recycle the ammo a lot.

The M14 isn't underpowered in my opinion, I really like it where it is now. It's not the greatest against big zeds, but it's far from useless against them as well (try pumping a mag into a Scrake's or Fleshpound's head up close in rapid succession), and it gives you the "emergency button" type of trash clearing ability too. Don't think too much of it in terms of "all SS guns must kill big zeds", it's nice to have some diversification going. For big zeds there's the railgun and crossbow already, after all. Think of this gun's biggest strength being its versatility.

The railgun is damn powerful, especially in manual mode. I don't mind it being so powerful really, but I think players should be penalised a bit against other targets when using it. For example, by making the lever-action heavier, you can't tote both at the same time, which is a damn powerful combo atm, even though both weapons are perfect on their own as they are. I know a lot of players are saying the railgun is really powerful atm, but I've probably gotten killed more often wielding a railgun than any other SS weapon :p .

The problem with sharpshooter right now is that it doesn't have many options in loadouts that either tradeoff crowd control or big zeds. You need the m14 to effectively deal with trash or the railgun to deal with big zeds. The lever action has never been an ideal trash control weapon on its own due to its one at a time reload and single shot nature while the crossbow is too weak and stuns too short for it to effectively handle big zeds.

If a sharpshooter takes railgun and lar they become extremely vulnerable to groups of trash and limited by the clunky nature of railgun and lar themselves. If they take m14+bow or m14 + lar they become a poor man's commando.

All the emphasis on single shot weapons that feel cumbersome to use, with no perked 9mm like gunslinger or commando makes playing sharpshooter inconvenient and almost a chore, similar to pre reworked demo but with no aoe.

Upvote 0
With the skils for faster rate of fire and increased reload speed the LAR is pretty effective against trash. If that is too difficult for a player he can use offperk pistols instead. This in combination with the railgun just destroys everything. It's like KF1 bowsharp.

Against big zeds the LAR is pretty much useless and that is a pity because in KF1 it is one of the most versatile guns in the whole game. The KF1 onperk scrake stun is debatable but the offperk scrake flinchlock is still a better system than that awkward KF2 stun system.

In KF1 the LAR can kill FP in 7 shots (6 with some predamage below rage threshold). In KF2 a FP takes 14 shots. The SC takes 10 and will rage on the second hit.

LAR in KF2 is just a trash weapon. A flinchlock mechanic would be more interesting than that group spam stun system or 2-hit kills with the railgun.

What I also dislike about the new LAR is that the reload animation happens in the center of the screen, what is cumbersome to assess new targets while reloading. And this is one of the key factors that give the KF1 LAR that fast hipfire cowboy style feeling. KF2 falls short here. On top of that the sound is awful and the sights are debatable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First, I wanted to thank everyone for enlightening me on the different KF1 SS loadouts.

notshiro;n2263715 said:
If a sharpshooter takes railgun and lar they become extremely vulnerable to groups of trash and limited by the clunky nature of railgun and lar themselves. If they take m14+bow or m14 + lar they become a poor man's commando.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is intentional on Tripwire's part. Take the Railgun and wreck SC/FP but be less effective against trash (though take note of what Gladius stated regarding perk skills and offperks). Take the EBR and be more effective against trash but less against SC/FP. At least, that's my guess at their thought process.

Gladius;n2263718 said:
Against big zeds the LAR is pretty much useless and that is a pity because in KF1 it is one of the most versatile guns in the whole game. The KF1 onperk scrake stun is debatable but the offperk scrake flinchlock is still a better system than that awkward KF2 stun system.

In KF1 the LAR can kill FP in 7 shots (6 with some predamage below rage threshold). In KF2 a FP takes 14 shots. The SC takes 10 and will rage on the second hit.

LAR in KF2 is just a trash weapon. A flinchlock mechanic would be more interesting than that group spam stun system or 2-hit kills with the railgun.

What I also dislike about the new LAR is that the reload animation happens in the center of the screen, what is cumbersome to assess new targets while reloading. And this is one of the key factors that give the KF1 LAR that fast hipfire cowboy style feeling. KF2 falls short here. On top of that the sound is awful and the sights are debatable.

I strongly suspect that KF2's LAR will be nowhere near KF1's, due to how wedded Tripwire is to the weapon tier system (i.e. In Tripwire's view, the LAR must be underpowered because it's a tier 1 starter). That said, they definitely should change the reload animation.

Upvote 0
Insert Name Here;n2263727 said:
I strongly suspect that KF2's LAR will be nowhere near KF1's, due to how wedded Tripwire is to the weapon tier system (i.e. In Tripwire's view, the LAR must be underpowered because it's a tier 1 starter). That said, they definitely should change the reload animation.
That tier system is a bad concept in the first place because in the end it doesn't result in much variety. If you make the starter weapon into something that is only good for trash on early waves, you put 25% of all weapons into restriction. Those 40 weapons ingame are then just 10 different flavours of the same 4 tiers. Thats just wasted potential to press those weapons into a rigid tier system by definition.

And this results in the problem that when a player is joining at late waves into a team that is doing bad and doesn't have the dosh to equip him, that late joining will destabilize the whole team. This results in conflicts as you might have experienced already.

KF1 does it better here. Sharps, Support and Zerk spawn with a weapons that allow to take SC/FP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Say what you will, I think the lever-action is an amazing weapon in KF2, sure it's not like the one in KF1, but that one was just ridiculous :p . Apart from when engaging scrakes and fleshpounds with it (and let's be honest, something that's supposedly on the same level as the Remingtons really be able to do that), I never feel powerless with it, not against medium zeds nor groups of trash. You can kick some serious butt with it. I genuinely think the lever-action is perfect now.

Upvote 0