• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Uniforms Discussion (Merged 18 times!!)

and that is team stacking, in 90% of cases it's German team stacking - would get even worse, with all kiddos wanting to try out the new cool SS uniforms.

I'm in the 5th SS and I play more Russian than German. Also German gets teamstacked a bit more often because people who join automatically join the allies and to a noob it looks like the Russians have more players untill he joins the axis and then he doens't bother to switch back. But of course there are german fans who always go german.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I'm in the 5th SS and I play more Russian than German. Also German gets teamstacked a bit more often because people who join automatically join the allies and to a noob it looks like the Russians have more players untill he joins the axis and then he doens't bother to switch back. But of course there are german fans who always go german.

Well I am in the Soviet based clan and I play German more often than Soviet on pubs which makes us very compatible LOL :D

But that's beside the point. Balancing is currently huge problem and I'd dare even say major problem, enjoyment-wise. Strangely enough, defending sides have large bonuses, + n00bs choose side that is easier to play, so we get quite unhistoric results where Sovs rule early war maps (when they should be losing big time) and Germans rule the late war maps (that historicaly resulted in overwhelming Sov victories) + in both cases defending sides usually outnumber the attackers (unhistoric).

Until the balancing problem is solved, I think there's not much point in introducing changes that would make one side (obviously, in this case, German) even MORE attractive to play (end result - game is even more unbalanced). Having said that I would enjoy having more fashion details to choose from.

Upvote 0
Ranari said:
but most often they turned out to be good, reliable troops.

Hardly. Most of them never had a chance to become good infantry soldiers. The Soviets knew they were poor quality, lightly equipped and smaller than Heer infantry divisions (with the exception of their anti-aircraft units). And that is why the Soviets repeatedly chose Luftwaffe Feld Division sectors to launch major offensives against. They were almost guaranteed an easy time and a breakthrough - See Rzhev in November 1942, Nevel Autumn 1943, Vitebsk winter 1943-44 and Leningrad January 1944.

Upvote 0
Tanky10 said:
Hardly. Most of them never had a chance to become good infantry soldiers. The Soviets knew they were poor quality, lightly equipped and smaller than Heer infantry divisions (with the exception of their anti-aircraft units). And that is why the Soviets repeatedly chose Luftwaffe Feld Division sectors to launch major offensives against. They were almost guaranteed an easy time and a breakthrough - See Rzhev in November 1942, Nevel Autumn 1943, Vitebsk winter 1943-44 and Leningrad January 1944.

I think this is a good Idea I mean think about it you could realy Idetify with the charicters you're playing as if you knew what unit they were from and they had some kind of camo.

I would however ask that if TW dose camo they don't over do it like in the BF1942 mod FH they overdid the camo so much you would think camo was standard for all german soldiers.

Upvote 0
While I would like to see winter camo for the germans... TKs are pretty high for russian tankers as it is (if they stupidly get out of their tank of course). Adding more camo that looks very similar to the other team would probably end up as a TK fest (I know IRL people had to deal with it, but IRL war is not a game, nor is it fun). So we should slowly but surely introduce camo in, but it should look just different enough to distinguish the between 2 sides, maybe later on we can go into overdrive and have all the camo we want, but for now, gameplay over realism.

Upvote 0
New uniforms!!

New uniforms!!

Well in ro, the character model uniforms seem to be all the same, except the russians in the snow, but even then all the snow uniforms are the same. I would like to see more variety in the uniforms, for example, some of the german models should ware camoflage, as many units like the assault troops wore camoflage in ww2 as well as the waffen-ss panzergrenadiers. Also the germans should have snow uniforms much like those on cod 2. For the russians, there should be more variety aswell, with the officers wearing blue trousers as they did in real life, and some others wearing those heavy padded jackets that many wore in ww2. Overall there should be a bit more variety in uniform on each side just to make the game that bit more realistic!!! Also it would help to tell difference between each class, meaning if an mg gunner picks up an smg, u can still tell he is an mg gunner!!

Upvote 0
More variety in uniforms

More variety in uniforms

Ok ill admit, ro ost has some of the best skins ive seen, but the skins are all the same for every class in each army. How about making each sides class have a different clothing style, for example german assault troops could wear camoflage smocks, like the waffen ss in real life did (elite german stormtroopers). German snipers could have a sniper veil or foliage in their helmets, to give a more snipers look. Anti tank german soldiers could have camo helmet covers. All im saying is that at the moment, all the germans, whatever class, wear the same uniform. It would just be nice to see a different uniform style for each class. The same for the russians, although im not sure on any ideas for them.

Think of cod2, all the soldiers in that had different uniform styles, just to make the game that bit more lifelike, as in an army, all the soldiers dont look like clones, they all wear differeent types of uniform.

Also some germans should wear snow suits on maps like barashka, stalingradkessel and rackowice, but not all, as the germans were not prepared for the eastern front winter, and so all having snow suits would give the impression that the germans were well prepared.

Thanks for reading, and tripwire please take this into account, as it would make a great game into an awesome one. Thanks for reading!!! :)

Upvote 0
Markov said:
Last time I checked, soldiers were not given a wardrobe of various flowery dresses to suit up like they were going to a happy giggity-pansy-gig teaparty. Wear your uniform provided to you. Pick up your gun and shoot. Don't ask questions. That's war.

The last thing I want to see in this game is a bunch of soldiers whining about how the hue of their uniforms is not working well with their feng shui.

Uh, they were given smocks, helmet covers, zeltbahns, and everything else. So don't say they didn't have any of that stuff.

Upvote 0
German uniform sleeves

German uniform sleeves

Red Orchestra is a very nice looking game, but why are the german sleeves so poorly designed?

The German sleeves in Red Orchestra look like those of a smock held at the wrist by an elastic, but the soldiers don't wear camouflage smock. They wear wool tunics, so the cuffs should look "straight". There's no reason for them to be shaped like bottle necks.

It might be just a detail to most people, but since this is in your face 50% of the time when you play, it's kind of annoying. Also Red Orchestra is supposed to be all about historical accuracy and realism. :)

Highly detailed drawing of the problem:

problem.jpg

Red Orchestra:

shot00001.jpg

Day of Defeat: Source (a better looking sleeve)

dod_donner0017.jpg

Reproduction M43 tunic:

g_uni_M43tunic_main.jpg

Upvote 0
Hans_klempner said:
HAve you ever worn a german uniform?

Boy! That thing looks like is elasticated because the sleeve folds.
That thing is not gonna stay straight.

Put a uniform on, get something to hold and youll see.

BTW the germans seem to be wearing the M40 not M43

As a matter of fact, I did own a German tunic back when I was into collecting militaria. The sleeve doesn't bunch up or tighten like that around the wrist. It's not much different from the sleeve of a suit jacket, just thicker.

OMFG we absolutely need this !Hey devs stop everything you were working on and do this as fast is possible. If you dont sleep its even better.
How could we live without it ?

No seriously , its a minor issue for me.

A Minor issue...that's on the middle of the screen all the time when you play as German. And since the sleeve is modeled like that, not even a mod could fix it.

Upvote 0