• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too many bad medics

When I play with a full team of friends I'll razz them by saying "people, I had to fire my gun". They know to keep the zeds off of me, but also know that I'm using the AR to pick off sirens, bloats and husks and stumbling the big boys.

There was a post a while back about using a commando with a med gun. I did that early on and it worked great. We had a great medic and I would play mando and use the SCAR and the medic AR as my primary weapons. The medic AR has lots of ammo for lightweight trash clearing and an optic sight, it effectively replaces the bullpup but can also throw darts. I leveled my medic to about 20 without ever being a medic using the medic AR as commando.

Upvote 0
When I play with a full team of friends I'll razz them by saying "people, I had to fire my gun". They know to keep the zeds off of me, but also know that I'm using the AR to pick off sirens, bloats and husks and stumbling the big boys.

There was a post a while back about using a commando with a med gun. I did that early on and it worked great. We had a great medic and I would play mando and use the SCAR and the medic AR as my primary weapons. The medic AR has lots of ammo for lightweight trash clearing and an optic sight, it effectively replaces the bullpup but can also throw darts. I leveled my medic to about 20 without ever being a medic using the medic AR as commando.

That sounds expensive, but I like it.

I'm gonna give that a shot, actually, I've heard medic AR isn't half bad but I just never play the damn class.

Upvote 0
And also, everyone has equal right to have some fun in the game.

Sure you can have some fun but you must also remember that you're playing as a medic and people are depending on you the medic to keep them alive when convenient . Playing as a medic and not healing teammates because you flat out refuse to is just not cool. Also I'm not saying that i didn't kill zeds in KF1 playing as medic because i did but i only killed when I or teammates was in serious danger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure you can have some fun but you must also remember that you're playing as a medic and people are depending on you the medic to keep them alive when convenient.
If this holds true, then when you select any other perk, you are implicitly agreeing to keep the medic safe so they can do their job effectively.

If you're not doing that, then you have failed as a team player.

Upvote 0
Indeed. This is a vital skill when the rest of the team has died and youre soloing the map in the effort of surviving the wave.
It's not even the soloing aspect. Reliably controlling a Scrake for 3~ seconds (Leg shot, weapon bash, then another leg shot once the cooldown is back off) is so strong, maybe more so than just spamming darts into your teammates ***.

Upvote 0
It's not even the soloing aspect. Reliably controlling a Scrake for 3~ seconds (Leg shot, weapon bash, then another leg shot once the cooldown is back off) is so strong, maybe more so than just spamming darts into your teammates ***.

Forgive me but... if youre spamming darts your either a) camping in a cramped spot with only 1 way in or out OR b) a bad medic.

You shouldnt need to spam darts as a medic. Two clicks per person should be more than enough. Its up to the player to get the hell out of harms way while the darts do their business.

At which point you can survey the situation and plan your next move, manuever to safety if getting cornered, resit your position if your team isnt within reach or the next heal priority is out of sight, heal someone else, shoot something or try to stun/stumble a biggie.

Upvote 0
I'm more impressed about the random players I meet, not a single one seems to know that healing others also gives dosh, instead just do self-heals.

My idea of medic is that they heal and provide extra support with their guns to maximize the efficiency.

Hopefully one day KF2 would have a tutorial mode which would explain the game mechanics.

Upvote 0
I usually take a Boomstick with me to help clean out trash when I don't have to heal but most of the time I need to keep a sharp eye out on the health of my teammates. As soon as you get distracted too much (hard difficulty and up) things tend to go sideways. That's mostly because as soon as there is a medic ppl. seem to forget that they are able to heal themselves or each other.

So your role as medic grows even more in importance, since as already mentioned, the others seem to rely on you even more just beacuse you are there. Not healing properly or standing around, exploring your own body, isn't the way this perk is ment to be played. It's like that guy playing a berserker that doesn't go into melee and runs away from SCs and FPs while firing his sidearm...or running into melee without parrying, ever...what the hell?!

Upvote 0
That is Irrelevant nonsense if they want to kill zeds then they need to play as Commando or any other perk that is not Medic the sole purpose of the medic is to keep the team alive by healing the team not killing everything in sight.

I am putting this down to flame-bait, since no one can actually be this dense and self-centered.

Easy Solution - If you are not happy with how another player is playing a match, leave. Bam. Your problem is solved. NO ONE bought this game to cater to you, or any specific player. If I wanted to run around firing my weapon in the air the entire time and spamming voice commands, that's all me. You didn't buy this game for me, so what makes you think you have any input on my play-style?

Sure, kick me. Or leave. Those are your ONLY options. Crying on the internet or expecting people to play exactly how you want is pretty pointless.

Additional two cents - I would play Medic a lot more if I got the same amount of Exp by healing people instead of mowing down Zeds. You don't, so I don't play Medic much ... and I don't blame people who would rather shoot Zeds for the higher Exp instead of being a personal Heal-bot for other players. Maybe if TWI addressed this, you might see Medics more interested in healing lazy players who have a hard time pressing the self-heal button...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're forgetting.

They can play however they want and it's not anyone's place to tell them otherwise.

This isn't an MMO it's a shooter. We don't spend hours on hours roleplaying as we build up guilds of reliable players, we spend that time going shooty shooty bang bang with whatever rando happens to be in the same servers at the same time. Get used to the fact that not everyone is playing to be optimal.

Edit: And no one gets kicked in ****ing Team Fortress. Battle medics are stupid as **** but people play them and that's OK. And if you're blaming your losses on a ****ty teammate, maybe become a little more aware of the dunning-kruger effect

Man, you are my new hero ... I've been saying this EXACT same thing for months but somehow I'M always the ***hole =/

Upvote 0
There generally isn't much excuse for a medic to get out-healed by another perk. If they do, they are probably a bad medic. Especially if they have a lot of trash kills.

That said... yes, people act more aggressively when they have a medic healing them. In part, it's bullheaded stupidity and ego. In part, it's extra aggression to make up for the medic's overall lack of damage output (though medics do have respectable numbers for a healer).

Some non-medic players need to learn how to play with restraint. Some medics need to learn how to heal. That's just the long and short of it.

Also, as a rule medics should never ever be complaining about one class in particular taking damage: Berserker. His job is pretty much explicitly to tank damage for teammates. If a medic isn't healing a zerk, they are doing wrong. If a zerker isn't taking damage (with parries and blocks... ideally) he is doing wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen philosophies range on what a medic should spend their time mostly doing - "if you're shooting, then you're not healing". Well, no.

It's perfectly reasonable to fire a burst of primary at the enemy just before and just after you fire healing darts at the overwhelmed teammate - and I often do. It shouldn't really get to that, but often it does.

If you're a medic that isn't at least mostly emptying every magazine you have in any given wave, I'm to wonder why you're being such a deadweight to begin with. Surely you can multi-task in a game by helping keep the hordes at bay - all it takes is for you to position yourself in a reasonable spot relative to your team, look down your sights at a teammate and alternate between healing darts if necessary and primary-firing to help out with dealing damage.

A HMTech-401 gone unemptied during an entire wave is a waste of a perfectly capable weapon.

Upvote 0
Sure you can have some fun but you must also remember that you're playing as a medic and people are depending on you the medic to keep them alive when convenient . Playing as a medic and not healing teammates because you flat out refuse to is just not cool. Also I'm not saying that i didn't kill zeds in KF1 playing as medic because i did but i only killed when I or teammates was in serious danger.

Sounds like you were a bad medic in KF1 then.
When everyone was at max health, you should have been keeping DPS up.

Upvote 0
Why are there so many awful medics in the game? What's wrong with you?
Why do you ignore the people that are being eaten just in front of you, and keep running around, shooting left and right, instead of doing the job your class suppose to do (to keep your teammates alive, first)?
If you see a fleshpound is beating the life out of someone, JUST STOP aggroing FP with your pew-pew rifle, and focus on the healing your teammate.
If your teammate is in need of health, and you are surrounded by some trash zeds, just evade them (medic class has a speed boost and big armor for that reason, and will self-heal just in a moment, lately). No need to waste the time on trash zeds while someone of your teammates needs you right now.

A lot of what you are describing I believe is a biproduct of the change to medic from KF1 to KF2. It used to be you actually had to HEAL to gain the xp in order to advance in level. Now you be just as fine running around like an idiot trying to rambo all the trash, as you have described in your post.

Overall I like the change as it provides more options to get your perk leveled up but the experiences like these are the downside to it... For the most part I see more "good" medics than "bad" so just take it with a grain of salt and make a note to yourself if your team's medic isn't really there to do his/her job. It can be a chore to do this, but may save you some aggravation in the long run.

Upvote 0
While i played medic, i often had some "bad" teammates, who were making my work harder becuase:
- Completely ignoring sirens
- Running behind covers - seriously, you cant heal 2 players simultaneously when they are out of sight
- Soloing/spliting in 2+ groups
- Diving and hoping i will heal them (darts are powerful, but they heal over time)

So yeah, there are bad healers, but healer is 100% team feature, so almost always there is a mistake on both sides, not only on healers...

Upvote 0