• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too many bad medics

GrooveSan

Aug 30, 2015
Why are there so many awful medics in the game? What's wrong with you?
Why do you ignore the people that are being eaten just in front of you, and keep running around, shooting left and right, instead of doing the job your class suppose to do (to keep your teammates alive, first)?
If you see a fleshpound is beating the life out of someone, JUST STOP aggroing FP with your pew-pew rifle, and focus on the healing your teammate.
If your teammate is in need of health, and you are surrounded by some trash zeds, just evade them (medic class has a speed boost and big armor for that reason, and will self-heal just in a moment, lately). No need to waste the time on trash zeds while someone of your teammates needs you right now.
Yes, it is a cry from the heart. Really tired of playing by the same scheme every time: Connecting to a server, seeing another one noob medic, switching to medic myself, to be able to get to the boss. Because of that, my medic perk is lvl25, while all the other classes are lvl10~20.
Okay, everyone was a noob some day at the beginning, but why on the earth do lvl1 medics playing on hard+ ?
More fun is when you connect to a server, seeing two (!) lvl10~15 medics, thinking "wow, now our team does have a good chance", and then your team gets wiped out at wave 7~8 :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kothre
Granted there are a lot of really bad medics out there, but other players need to mind things too. It's very hard even for a decent medic to heal everyone when the group scatters and then get overwhelmed yet they all expect to be healed to full health as they're getting munched on by 600 spiders and 20 gorefasts. :p

Upvote 0
personally I think one of the problems is that medics get too much xp for killing, and not enough for heals. Shifting this balance a bit would provide more incentive to heal players, and may help to encourage medics to prioritize healing before shooting a bit more...

Also something I think a lot of players miss is the fact that you have to be in the medic's line of sight to be healed. The medic is catering to an entire team, not just to you therefore it is your responsibility to make sure you are in the medic's LOS if you want to be healed. Its also difficult for a medic to heal you if there's trash between you, so I find it's often useful to have one player dedicated to keeping trash away from the medic so the medic doesn't have to waste time dodging around it.

Upvote 0
why are there so many awful medics in the game?
Becau-

What's wrong with you?
Hey! Be careful with wild generalizations like that.

Why do you ignore the people that are being eaten just in front of you, and keep running around, shooting left and right, instead of doing the job your class suppose to do (to keep your teammates alive, first)?
My guess would be because of how the EXP is being handed out. (Kill first, Heal second)

If you see a fleshpound is beating the life out of someone, just stop aggroing fp with your pew-pew rifle, and focus on the healing your teammate.
Since you don't specify difficulty, I don't know at what level or what skill level these people are but I'm going to assume that the medic is either too low level to out heal a FP's DPS or too uninformed. They might be better off shooting if they can't heal you, you know.

If your teammate is in need of health, and you are surrounded by some trash zeds, just evade them (medic class has a speed boost and big armor for that reason, and will self-heal just in a moment, lately). No need to waste the time on trash zeds while someone of your teammates needs you right now.
I really wish medic only had better armor because this is one of the poorest excuses that people can use as an argument. I'm not sure if you play Sui or HoE but getting swarmed is still easy even with the speed boost unless you run in a single direction. All the time. Which could be toward or away from the guy dying depending on the circumstances. And again, you don't specify what level, yet you speak of great speed so I will now assume that the medic is 20 or 25.

Yes, it is a cry from the heart. Really tired of playing by the same scheme every time: Connecting to a server, seeing another one noob medic, switching to medic myself, to be able to get to the boss. Because of that, my medic perk is lvl25, while all the other classes are lvl10~20.
I don't see a reason to cry about not having a dedicated medic? It doesn't mean you have to be a medic because someone else isn't high level enough or because they aren't playing the role properly. It just sounds like you need to get good at other perks and get a few friends who are also good.

Okay, everyone was a noob some day at the beginning, but why on the earth do lvl1 medics playing on hard+?
Finally! You specify the difficulty and the players level. Though, it brings out inconsistencies with previous arguments...

Well, They probably play hard because it's the only place to get decent EXP at all. The slight jump in EXP goes a long way in the long run, which is what grinding to 25 basically is.

More fun is when you connect to a server, seeing two (!) lvl10~15 medics, thinking "wow, now our team does have a good chance", and then your team gets wiped out at wave 7~8 :eek:
Maybe you should secure the win by also going medic :rolleyes:.

I don't know. This seems to be both a justifiable and unjustifiable whine to me.

On the one hand: Git Gud and Git Gud team members.
On the other:The game really breeds the wrong kinds of players in a co-op game.

Reactions: PurpleFanta
Upvote 0
The thing that really gets on my nerves is when a wave have just finished, I'm at half health and constantly requesting the medic to heal me. He stands right in front of me with his syringe out... and heals himself. We have a staring contest for a solid 20 seconds and then the medic just walks away without even healing me. I don't like to generalize, but are people seriously this dense? This wasn't on just one occasion; in fact, I'd say around (and I'm totally pulling this statistic out of my ***) 40% of the medics I play with just simply refuse to heal other players, and this is during trader time when they aren't distracted with killing.

Upvote 0
personally I think one of the problems is that medics get too much xp for killing, and not enough for heals. Shifting this balance a bit would provide more incentive to heal players, and may help to encourage medics to prioritize healing before shooting a bit more...

Two experience per heal, regardless of amount of health healed, while eight or more experience per kill of any type? And that experience gained by killing things gives you "medic qualification points" towards leveling up? No damn way, and I've thought this since the beginning. Should really be the other way around, giving only 25% experience for kills, and 100% experience for heals. (one point of health: one point of experience)

Upvote 0
Dont confuse bad players with bad medics. A bad player is just that. A bad medic may not realize their role or just be clued up or that they need to be ultra-aware of everyone on their team the entire time.

Personally Im looking at ppl to heal all the time. Give priority healing to the better coop players and zerks in particular.

In addition the pew-pew rifle thing is not bad medic play... medics can stumble zeds with their weapons. But most of the time they should be looking to heal.

Ofc their ability to heal can be restricted by a bad team if the team isnt keeping the immediate vicinity of the medic clear of trash. That happens to me in a lot of Paris pub games, or games where we are not camping in an enclosed space.

But there should be no excuse for a medic not to heal anyone during trader time. Unfortunately those medics are ones you should just avoid playing with.

Upvote 0
sometimes team survives better without medic because when team knows that there is medic they think that it is acceptable to get damage and suddenly everyone is getting 300% more damage and medic is just trying to keep one alive.

I rarely trust to medics and that is why I survive, but when I know that medic is trustworthy I still try not to take too much damage.

Sometimes medic gets too much responsibility on killing floor and that is when rectum ruptures.

Upvote 0
sometimes team survives better without medic because when team knows that there is medic they think that it is acceptable to get damage and suddenly everyone is getting 300% more damage and medic is just trying to keep one alive.

I rarely trust to medics and that is why I survive, but when I know that medic is trustworthy I still try not to take too much damage.

Sometimes medic gets too much responsibility on killing floor and that is when rectum ruptures.

That is true, without a safety net people tend to be more cautious because they cannot risk taking damage.

But give them a medic and instantly they throw caution into the wind and say "**** it! I will tank this Flesh Pound with my face because I have my own personal medic!"

Please be nice to your medics, it is a job few people actually want to do so if you get someone playing it on their own free will it is a blessing.

Upvote 0
Why? That's pretty simple, I think.

Medics can run fast. They get better armor. They can heal themselves far more effectively than any other perk can.

ALL of those traits make it easier for medics to stay alive. Because of that, a lot of people choose the medic perk not out of intent to keep teammates alive, but because they are overwhelmingly concerned with their own survival, IE people who don't give a **** whether other people get killed as long as they don't, and are therefore the worst possible people you could be expecting heals from.

Quite the irony, isn't it?

But if they didn't have those benefits, it would just be stressful and unrewarding to play as Medic for whoever gets stuck doing it. You never want to have a class that everyone wants to have around but nobody wants to play as.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really think that medics should be getting little or no xp for killing. Their incentive should be totally based on healing. I remember in KF1 medics couldn't wait to heal people, running around constantly with their dart guns topping people off if they were missing a sliver of health. Now medics just shoot everything completely ignoring damaged team mates. I'm not sure if that's just because they enjoy the weapons or because they don't care about healing since the xp from heals is much lower than what they can get from killing. I'm just gonna chalk it up to new players who don't know what's going on.

Upvote 0
I would heal you if you stayed where I am...otherwise I ain't going to save you.
Also keep in mind if you ignore the zeds around us then you are all screwed. We also need protection you know.
We aren't going to heal you as quick as possible if you don't try and focus ZEDs that are around us.
On one hand you can't ignore the fact that we are not going to heal you if scrakes or fleshpunds are focused on us. You need to tank the damage from large zeds so they can focus on you not on field medics. Also if you die on wave 7 or 8 it's not big surprise...if the medics die first then the whole team is screwed and I think you did mention the point of protection of your medics when you said that we need to run away from ZEDs and then heal you...
Really?You honestly think we are going to run away from zeds that are focused on us and then try to heal you? The zeds will follow us why DON'T you TURN around AND HELP US get rid of Zeds that are attacking someone who could heal you faster?
Also shooting large zeds is helping you kill them faster....
Also wave 7 and wave 8 are harder. The boss wave is littarly hard since you can't camp in the corner and expect to survive no you need to run which causes split ups so no wonder why the entire team got wiped out in the first place

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While it's nice that you said you would heal, it's also not cool to sound like your feet are nailed onto the floor. Your suppose to stick with your teammates, if they run off (several of them I might add), more pretty sure you should follow them.
Yes you need protection, this is why medics have guns.
Medics already heal fast enough. Carry more then 2 mediguns and using the syringe should keep everyone alive for a long time.
If I'm not mistaking, Medics need to be a bull cape to the larger zeds. I use to get attack by scrakes and FPs but still help heal my teammates since taking the large zeds is a medics job.
I would usually fight off those zeds with a knife because pretty much everyone would just turn them to Swiss cheese.

I actually think it's a nice thing that medics now get xp for kills, it means they can be part of the fun, instead of being the automatic healing dispenser. Though healing should be giving more xp then killing.

Upvote 0
It's not the exp system.
Sure secondary objectives are pretty much pointless across the board right now but that doesn't mean gunslingers actively avoid headshotting or demos actively avoid attacking FP.

The way I see it the exp system could have been used as one mechanic out of many to guide people on the right path for their perks. Not force them or leave them no choice but just to tell them how it was meant to be and reward them for listening.

The actual issue is people just plain suck.
I remember when first playing KF2 the UI felt kind of messy and overwhelming when it comes to tracking everybodys HP. Perhaps they actually don't realize you've lost some or they take a breather from constantly searching for HP bars that may appear a bit smaller at closer inspection. It's trader time after all.

Then you will always get those who don't know what teamplay is or how you play KF or medic any FPS. And then those who just refuse to care.
The thing about this is you cannot "fix" it. Either they do it themselves or nobody will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really think that medics should be getting little or no xp for killing. Their incentive should be totally based on healing.

That's a horrible idea. Medic was so hard to level up in KF1, no need to make those last five levels drag out over a course of several weeks / months. Not only that, but medic was BORING. Here he can perform some quc functions with his gun / skill loadout. Now if you want to "flip" the requirements on medic xp, that is, healing gives more while killing gives less, that would help.

Escadin has it right, you can't fix online gamers. I've played games where the medic was topping off everyone AND sedating the big zeds like a champ. And later, in a game with two medics I received the Medicine Master award as Demo. AS DEMO. You can't fix this. It isn't exclusive to KF2. I'd say it is worse in KF1 since there you can neglect the team and still clinch the game. KF2 actively punishes said behavior by making near impossible to solo 200+ specimens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0