• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Thread of modeling and stuff.

Halconnen cannon (from Hellsing)

halconnen5scene00077.png

Upvote 0
mmm

Spoiler!

Looking great, nice and clean too. You should be able to cut down more than half the poly count with some nice welds. Also, things like the blade and handle can be a seperate element, no need to tie them in like you did and then you can remove those long loops down the middle of the sword reducing the poly count even more.

Anyways, look forward to the progress! :)

Upvote 0
So, what you are saying is that i could just separate the sword in 4 parts and merge them to 1 object without having those polys between them? Thanks for the feedback, this is actually my second model ever :p

Yea, thats the idea :)

Spoiler!

It's easier to model that way and will cut down the poly count quite a bit. Unless you plan on smoothing the object as a whole or want to visually show a certain part connected to another (chamfer,etc.), then separate elements is usually the way to go. If I'm not mistaken, when you have a model that has different smoothing groups, the engine treats it as a separate object anyways which will double the vert count.

Upvote 0
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/smoothing_groups.jpg

You can assign smoothing groups under the edit poly modifier in the command panel to the right. The ribbon up top also has a few quick options too.

You can play around with your model, see what works. Throw the entire model on 1 smoothing group and you'll see for yourself why its a bad idea without proper edge support. Remove all the smoothing groups to see what the model looks like "hard". You can use the "smooth 30" function but I usually set everything up manually. If you have 2 faces that are 90 degrees or more, then you would want to put them on separate smoothing groups otherwise you'll get that heavy gradient effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0