• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Thread of modeling and stuff.

J.D.*

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 26, 2010
One of my friends said that my sword sucks so he re-made it. I dont know if this is good, but please comment:

Should i do it like that?
lol well you can tell your friend his sword sucks too because he made the exact same thing with very minor differences. Those long thin triangles in the middle of the sword could potentially hurt performance.

It's your model, do it how you want, not how your friend wants. Your sword looks great, just needs a little optimization and smoothing.

Z3RO

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 16, 2009
Loose the indent in the middle, you can easily normal map that in or represent it as a texture.

Bl4ckDr4g0N

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah thanks guys, just as i thought - i didnt like the long thin triangles either :p

Z3RO, i took a look (lol) at your sword yesterday, and i saw that you did it with multiple objects which werent attached to each other... Can you animate the model when its in that state? Cause it really confused me.. I mean, is it not finished yet so they arent attached or?

Z3RO

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 16, 2009
Everything doesn't have to be made out of one piece. You can use multiple objects, I recommend doing this, it will make your life so much easier. One of the first mistakes I made when modeling was trying to recreate something as solid mesh, this just over complicates things. Yes it can be animated.

All the separete objects made in the M1A.

Bl4ckDr4g0N

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 28, 2011
Now that's pretty cool. And do you combine them all before importing into game? Or does it need to be separated for animating? (if you animate too)

Bl4ckDr4g0N

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry for double posting, but i got another question ^^
In the picture of wireframe of a gun of yours, i saw the multiple objects, and i wondered about connecting them to the surface on which they are. I mean, do you have to actually connect them? Or just place them? Because on the picture i will show there are no connections to it.. So i guess you dont have to connect them?
ikr I'm complicated :p

Z3RO

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 16, 2009
They're just floating in place, not actually connected to the main mesh. I do add them all into one object. I leave it up to our animator, to detach and animate :p

The_Sorrow

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 2, 2009
Australia
wow... you do use alot of parts, I suppose one of My problems was I tried to keep the body all one primitive.

not any more :D

FSUBoo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 6, 2010
Florida, US
Break it open like a double barrel, Z3RO is it an electric tampon? or some sort of a hover board thingo..

Also, in Z3RO's original post of the picture, he posted the words
3 more years..
in Back to the Future 2, which I linked a picture of, that hoverboard was in the year 2015, and it just so happens to be 2012, 3 years from then xD

Last edited: