• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The one and only "Can I run this game" thread

It isnt really that simple that a console port equals heavy CPU usage and native PC does not.

Theres many things that make up the fact, main thing being the engine the game uses.

E.g. Source engine is very CPU intensive

Someone who knows more about UE3 can probably tell hows the situation with it.

yes I know it's not that clear cut ... i'm just saying generally console ports have been poorly optimized for PC - having higher than necessary CPU requirements

I know I am in dire need of an upgrade but could my rig manage to run HoS on at least medium settings?

Processor :AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Video Card :NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Physical Memory :4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

your rig is approximately in the same boat as mine aha - we'll have to wait until announcements from TWI
it'll be in a close call

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Illegal or not, blops is poo for determining performance.
It's also not the same engine, and a year+ older than this.

I've booted up blops on mine too, and i couldnt get the game to exceed 40% cpu usage with my q9550 clocked at 3.44ghz.

To get a better picture. Go buy Alice:madness returns. Ontop of it being an amazing game, it is a very current(released not too logn ago), while not the same build that twi are using of UE3.

It's still using UE3 though, and if you computer can max the settings on that and get 35+ frames you will have virtually no isses running ro2.

Upvote 0
My pleasure, Tovarish.

Lets not be mistaken here though, alice: madness returns is a console port. Which means it isn't as optimized for the pc as it could/should/would've been.

AFAIK there are also very many ways of getting the same results for a single effect with UE3 engine, So it depends highly on how the engine was used for the game as well.

So while this isn't completely accurate of a depiction of UE3's current hardware taxation margin, it's still probably above average, in how much of a performance hog a UE3 based game is. Hopefully this makes sense. Since Ro2 is a PC game and optimized as such, even though it may be made differently, have better graphics and offer features in it that the Alice game doesn't It's still very possible that the Required specs for Alice: madness returns is On par or even greater than what RO2's specs will be. Or visa Versa.

Upvote 0
You could use a cpu upgrade, but other than that, your specs aren't bad.

I assume with your core 2 you are using the 775 socket.
Look around for a q6600, if you can find one, itl be quite cheap, and with a bit of overclocking it might just give you the cpu boost you need to make the game quite pretty.

Upvote 0
You could use a cpu upgrade, but other than that, your specs aren't bad.

I assume with your core 2 you are using the 775 socket.
Look around for a q6600, if you can find one, itl be quite cheap, and with a bit of overclocking it might just give you the cpu boost you need to make the game quite pretty.

will my computer be able to run it?on normal settings?

Upvote 0
My pleasure, Tovarish.

Lets not be mistaken here though, alice: madness returns is a console port. Which means it isn't as optimized for the pc as it could/should/would've been.

AFAIK there are also very many ways of getting the same results for a single effect with UE3 engine, So it depends highly on how the engine was used for the game as well.

So while this isn't completely accurate of a depiction of UE3's current hardware taxation margin, it's still probably above average, in how much of a performance hog a UE3 based game is. Hopefully this makes sense. Since Ro2 is a PC game and optimized as such, even though it may be made differently, have better graphics and offer features in it that the Alice game doesn't It's still very possible that the Required specs for Alice: madness returns is On par or even greater than what RO2's specs will be. Or visa Versa.

Oh, another thing: I have Brothers in Arms: Hell's highway and it runs very smooth at maximum settings. America's Army didn't run that good. Thoughts? Thanks again.

Upvote 0