• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

the no blur option does not penalize you enough,

the no blur option does not penalize you enough,

• Yes, make it mandatory for all gfx cards that support it

Votes: 76 71.0%
  • No, leave it as is

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters
Hyperion2010 said:
I think that this is really a matter of opinion and that you simply cant force it because many people who meet the system requirements would not be able to play, or they would have an even larger advantage because their cards would simply not render anything at all.
as is said it would only be mandatory for computers that can handle it.

ps: lets hear it for Dr Strangelove ! probobly my favorite movie of all time (if you were to categorize the whole movie with one still, i think my sig would be it... if your interested and havnt seen it)

Upvote 0
I love the blur but recently had to change to OpenGL because I think D3D was causing my crashes (don't know why, hope it's fixed!) and to be honest I find the screen darkening MUCH more irritating than the blur. Maybe my screen is too dark, but during heavy artillery I can hardly see at all :(

I would love to have the blur enabled for OpenGL.

Upvote 0
i dont feel suppressed, and i hardly notice the blackout. but what you must consider in reality you dont get blurred or close your eyes because of bulletfire or grenades. you just know that taking cover is the only thing to do to survive. but then again it would be foolish to "force" the player to go prone.
and sometimes people stand up in the middle of a firefight and get shot down.
therefore its a difficult problem. IMO we should make a mix. darken the screen for those who have blur turned off, and make the blur easier to handle. so that the both "ends" meet.
but, i did vote yes in the poll.

Upvote 0
thats not really fair to the people that dont have the higher end computers. i dont have that great of a computer so i turn it off, otherwise i lag and make my teammates aggrivated. also, the blur effect is just for the users enjoyment, although is is a key to get more realistic, it is too much for some computers to handle.

also, think about it....RO population is amazingly low, dont make it lower by losing the people who have lower end computers. i would hate to be forced to lag

Upvote 0
downxerd said:
thats not really fair to the people that dont have the higher end computers. i dont have that great of a computer so i turn it off, otherwise i lag and make my teammates aggrivated. also, the blur effect is just for the users enjoyment, although is is a key to get more realistic, it is too much for some computers to handle.

also, think about it....RO population is amazingly low, dont make it lower by losing the people who have lower end computers. i would hate to be forced to lag

ok im sorry atleast a half dozen people have obviosly NOT READ WHAT I SAID, and have decided to respond and most probobly even vote on my poll WITHOUT READING THE EXPLANATION. I said that if your computer could not handle the motion blur then you WOULD BE GIVEN THE OPTION NOT TO HAVE IT.

Upvote 0
SingeDebile said:
ok im sorry atleast a half dozen people have obviosly NOT READ WHAT I SAID, and have decided to respond and most probobly even vote on my poll WITHOUT READING THE EXPLANATION. I said that if your computer could not handle the motion blur then you WOULD BE GIVEN THE OPTION NOT TO HAVE IT.

I'm fine with that, but I think it's only available in D3D9 mode... I'm currently having some issues with that... but if the devs are able to add Blur to D3D and OpenGL, I'm all for it. I hate the darkened screen.

Upvote 0
Just leave blur alone - I have it off, I've had it off since it was first put into the mod. It's not an FPS issue, I just CANT STAND the damn blur. It's impossible to aim effectivly at high resolutions for a good 30 seconds after you get blurred. Try playing at 1920x1200 with blur on and tell me you can hit ANYTHING beyond 200 meters for half a minute after taking a close nade.

Add to that the incredible concusive range of grenades (they blur you if they land within half a city block whether you're behind cover or not), the fact that if you happen to be speccing while waiting to respawn and the guy you're speccing gets blured, you stay blurred after you respawn, and you have a recipe for total buzzkill.

The blackout is fine, and the shaky aim from arty and nades going off nearby is even better. The blackout goes away after a second or two instead of lasting half an hour - hence it's managable. That's the biggest crux really - the blackout fades back in - the colors are washed out but distance view is crisp and you can aim effectivly after a second or two even though it takes a while for the effect to go away entirely. The blur unblurs at about the same rate, but because details in RO at distance are so small (pixel hunt) you can't aim effectivly for a LONG time while the blur clears. That just completely takes the enjoyment and skill away for me.

Don't muck around with a good thing because I kill you more than you kill me. It's not blur, it's the fact that I've been playing FPSes since 1992. If you like blur, leave it on.. if you don't turn it off. If you try to force me to play with it on... well I'll probably go play something else... I really cannot stand that effect.

Cheers,
Perk

Upvote 0
Arcadian said:
did anyone say this? Just have a serverside option. sv_blur = on, sv_blur = off

then its up to the server admins to either allow the blur to be turned on or off.

if a player has it off, then the server just displays a message 'you need to enable blur effect to play in here' .. or whatever

That's the shittiest idea I ever heard :D

Upvote 0
myzko said:
That's the shittiest idea I ever heard :D

Agreed.

SingeDebile said:

calm down, man its all good...my mistake. But to sort through the "good" computers and the "bad" ones is ridiculous...how do you expect them to do that?

imagine:

"oh uh...hmm...well he has __________ (insert specs here) so he has to have blur!"

"good work! ****...now we have to do a million more"

Upvote 0
Theres nothing wrong with having both the blur and the blackout effects, they just need to be tweaked so they both affect the player to an equal degree.

Right now, the blur affects the player more, giving an advantage to people using the blackout effect.. not good, so either the blur must be softened or the blackout made harsher, i vote the latter.

Upvote 0